“Truly Traditional Italian”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Beechmont
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The visit was the experience. The restaurant is owned by a New York family who take pride in serving real Italian fare with honest Italian hospitality. We were greeted by a server who did everything, including take my coat, to make us comfortable. Soon, the owner himself visited and regaled us with stories of his family and some standard, but funny jokes. The food and drink was well worth the trip as we each sampled a little something different from the typical chain Italian restaurants. It is rare to make an evening of just dining but that is what we did and why we recommend this eatery to all who cherish good food in a historic building with lots of laughter and jokes and good wine. Take your time and appreciate this fine establishment.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

This still stands as one of my favorite local restaurants. Everyone there is always so welcoming and the food is always great. The server was not as good (did not know the menu well) as what we have had in the past but she was plenty cheerful. I again had the Pork Shank Osso Buco which is my personal favorite and it was great as always. We are planning on having dinner here again on New Years Eve.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

My daughter and fiancee took my wife and I to dinner at the Bella Luna to celebrate our birthdays. We were greeted warmly by the hostess and seated immediately upon our arrival. The server then came and took our drink orders, and explained a few things about the history of the restaurant, why the dishes were all different (quite interesting) and was very friendly.
My wife and daughter had the pork shank, and said that it was absolutely wonderful; I had the lobster and crab raviolli, good but could have had more lobster and crab in it. Our daughter's fiancee had the prime rib stuffed pasta and said that it was very good.
For dessert, my wife had the bread pudding, and although I normally do not like bread pudding, the next time that we go, I will also order it. It was so smooth and delicious.
For our birthdays we were each given a gift certificate to use when we go back, and we definately will.
Had a very enjoyable evening.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We hope they were having an off night because we find it hard to believe so much could be so terrible in one sitting. The restaurant has a nice cozy atmosphere, but that is where any pleasure ended. We started with the stuffed mushrooms. Rubbery and oily. About 40 minutes later the salads came. My wife ordered the marinated beet and goat cheese salad. It came out with some kind of cream dressing that more closely resembled a bland ranch dressing than crumbly goat cheese. Then, right after my wife sends it back, another server comes over and tells us they were going to comp it anyway because they were short on beets. Why would they serve this in the first place when it was short ingredients!?! Whoever was expo-ing this need to be thrown out of the kitchen. I had the summer melon salad, which was very good and the high point of the night. Then, the entrees.... I got one of the specials - skate fish. I bit into this and was overcome was the stench of ammonia. I nearly got sick. I told the server to take it back and she said that about one in twenty people have that reaction. Why would you serve such garbage knowing it is going to make someone at every fifth table sick??? My wife got spaghetti carbonara, which was just a congealed mess with raw bacon. You should not be able to pick up half a plate of pasta with a fork. She obviously sent it back. I was starved so I ordered sea bass to replace my ammonia abomination. This fish came and was swimming in oil. We picked up the plate to pour off the oil and it filled an entire app plate. Disgusting! And, note to mid-range chefs out there, you can not drown something in fake truffle oil and charge premium prices for it! It is absolutely insulting. Besides the fake truffle oil taste, the fish was completely bland. I choked it down because at that point we had been there over two hours and I was starving. If a Wendy's had been within walking distance, I would have been gone. The owner offered us free dessert and after-dinner drinks for our trouble, but at that point no one at our table wanted to chance another piece of garbage from that kitchen. Somehow out check was still over $100. We found this out after the 20 minutes we waited for the check. As two people who frequent fine dining establishments both here and wherever we visit, we are utterly speechless. I can not fathom ever going back. Please fire your entire kitchen staff and rethink everything.

5  Thank Zack P
Reviewed July 22, 2013

You enter through the bar and there was a live band...music very loud for the space but we ate in the back! Great menu. The food was very good. I had the prime rib cannelloni...others had the pork shank and grilled Bronzino...the fish tacos and shrimp meatballs were great and the chocolate cake was huge. I have had better which is why it is not a 5! Loved the decor but there was a bad spot in the ceiling. Service was good. Parking lot is gravel and adjacent. It is outside the city which I liked. We went there because of my family's experience at Taste of Cincinnati. I may go back but I want to try other area restaurants! I thought pricing was reasonable.