New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Reliable good food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of J. Alexander's Restaurant

J. Alexander's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 1,914 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy. 71 in Rookwood Commons
“Reliable good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Most people I know rave about local fair and rarely migrate to chain restaurants. However this is our 4th time here and it is because the good is consistently awesome. I love spicy food and had the rattlesnake pasta and it was great. With a glad of house wine, it sealed the meal. Even thou hit is a chain, I love and highly recommend this place.

1 Thank jackbauerTX

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
“Steak Sandwich tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

We have been going here for years- (the ribs are better than other famous rib locations in town. )

Today we tried the ground steak sandwich with fries- it was a hearty meal that tasted good for a late lunch.
Good service!

1 Thank 1lacrosse
Cincinnati
“Memorable Mother's Day Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Not only was the lunch memorable for having my son take me out, but for having one of the best restaurant meals I've had in quite awhile. My son made the astute observation that J. Alexander's was an upscale family restaurant--and indeed there were families with children, elderly couples, and some single folks here and there. Most dressed nicely but by no means formally.

To begin our lunch, I ordered champagne (three drinks specials for the day included a mimosa, champagne, or bloody mary--each $5) while my son had a craft draft beer. We ordered calamari as an appetizer that was tasty, though not spectacular, but it was a generous amount. I had trouble eating half and my hungry son was glad to finish off my share as well. (I prefer a lighter breading, but at least this breading didn't detract from the taste.)

For our entrees, my son ordered a sirloin steak and potatoes, while I had crab cakes and switched in cole slaw instead of the fries (each around $32). I had a taste of his steak which was melt-in-your-mouth tender. My crab was hands down the best I've had. Ever. I love crab cakes and so try them rather frequently. I almost thought they were lobster cakes--the meat was so tender and rich. The sauce that was drizzled on the plate was something I'd love to take home--I used it up for one generously sized crab cake and wished I'd had more to take home with me, as I did with the remaining crab cake (and it proved to be equally delicious reheated for dinner). I'm somewhat picky about cole slaw--I don't like it either too sweet or too tart. Again,the best cole slaw I have ever had (I'm in my 50s from a German/Polish family, so we've had our share of cabbage and slaw dishes). Creamy, almost a hint of melted cheese, not cut as much as thin shreds--as with the crab sauce, whatever sauce was on it would be my go-to option for salads of any kind.

We were both full and yet took half our plates home; nevertheless, we managed to sneak in dessert--a shared piece of chocolate cake and ice cream. It was good, but I honestly could have done with just the ice cream or a mousse or some kind of lighter choice (key lime pie and carrot cake were the other choices, and since I don't like the former and my son doesn't like cream cheese--the topping on the carrot cake--the chocolate cake was the best alternative). I'd have enjoyed a bit more of a selection to end on as high a note as the entree had permitted. The coffee was good!

The noise level was fine--while the place wasn't packed, there were generous distances between tables. Our server was helpful and not overly pushy. We had time to visit as well as time to enjoy the good food.

I'd definitely return, especially since they also had smaller less expensive options such as dinner-size salads and sandwiches. I'd like to see if the excellent fare translates to the less formal dishes. As for the price range, although there are lower-end alternatives, I'd rate some entrees as $$$. As my mother would say, though, you get what you pay for--this really was excellent food and enough for two meals, so well worth the price (especially since my son paid!).

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cincinnati, OH
“Consistent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

It's J. Alexander's. This chain delivers consistently good food at a reasonable price. The bar is well staffed and a good option when there's a wait for a table. This place gets busy for lunch during the week. If you're new to J. Alexander's, grab the queso dip for an appetizer.

Visited April 2014
Lexington, Kentucky
“Ideal date destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

My wife and came here to celebrate our anniversary and everything was perfect. Both our steaks were cooked exactly as we'd ordered them, the sides were great and the service staff was prompt and attentive. We'll be back, for sure.