“Steak Maui - best in Cincinnati”

J. Alexander's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 1,953 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy. 71 in Rookwood Commons
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Steak Maui - best in Cincinnati”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

My wife and I went for dinner and loved it. The steak Maui was outstanding, maybe the best I've had. Loved the string French fries, my wife had a great salad. We did share some mashed potatoes which were ok, not my favorite. Unique appetizer- grilled artichoke, tastier than it looks.

Dessert - carrot cake! Better than my mom's (who is a GREAT cook).

Service - wow! Best in town.

• Visited December 2011

ohio
“very good food; great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

This was our fourth or fifth time eating at J Alenander's. We were pleased the first several visits, but after our last visit, my husband remarked that he didn't want to return because of our annoying, detached server. We should have complained about him when we left but didn't. We did return....a few nights ago - with two other couples. We were seated immediately on a busy night (and had a choice of a table or booth). We sat a large round table. We appreciated space from other around us, however, we all commented on the padded seats that no longer had padding...felt like sitting on a deflated balloon. It was noisy and difficult to hear those across the table....but the food and especially the service made up for it. We all had a different sandwich and appreciated that we could have our pick of a side. No one was disappointed and all of us who had the mac and cheese said that it was wonderful. We had various adult beverages - also good. Our server (wish I could remember his name) was the best we've had in a long time. My husband tipped him 25% and he never does that (usually 18-20%), We will return and not wait so long between visits.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank twototravel
Middle England
“Filet mignon with mac and cheese and a martini - to die for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

A group of us decided to treat ourselves after a heavy evening shopping - we pre-booked which was just as well, it gets busy, and this was a Monday.

The place is spacious, with plenty of tables, though not so close together to feel crowded. Not a huge menu, but enough to make choosing difficult. More complicated was deciding what to drink - the martinis are very good, and come with a side order of gin in it's own wee vase - well, it seems like it. Apparently cuervesa martinis are popular, with an upside down beer in a martini....

My steak was excellent, and the macaroni cheese definitely cooked fresh, and not in a microwave. Loaded jackets were superb, fries were delicious.

Definitely one to go back to!

• Visited October 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Always great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

We have been to this restaurant nearly 25 times over the past 10 years. Always great food and service. Highly recommend the Alex salad, prime rib, chicken tenders (never frozen and breaded to order), fresh vegetable of the day, and the best carrot cake I have ever had.

• Visited September 2011
Columbus, Ohio
“Usually Phenomenal but this time the service & food was less than stellar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

J Alesnader's is one of my favorite restaurants. My favorite menu item is the Steak Maui with their Prime Rib sandwich a close second. The veggie in my family likes their veggie burger and their side veggies are always good enough to satisfy our family vegetarian.

We have come to expect excellent service form J. Aleander's staff. We have eaten at the restaurants in Cincinnati, Dayton and Columbus, Ohio.

We ate at the Cincinnati location last Friday and were disappointed with the service and the food. The server was slow to refill beverages and she never checked on our meal after it was delivered at the table. I tried the fish sandwich for the first time and it was mushy. My husband had his favorite the prime rib and for the first time ever it was really fatty. Hopefully this was a fluke incident and not a new norm.

• Visited September 2011