“Disappointing”

Pit To Plate Barbeque
Ranked #776 of 2,019 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I'll get to the point and just say that the service was slow and the menu is misleading. I wanted a full order of pork spare ribs which comes with 2 sides. Anywhere in the city a full order of ribs dinner is enough to feed more than 1 person--especially when it costs $23.95 vs the single order with 2 sides for the price of $13.95.

I took the food home and was sure that I'd been given the wrong order when I saw that I had five bones and my side items consisted of approx 3 tbs each of greens and coleslaw. I called and the person that answered said simply Hello. I said hello and she said hello immediately as if she hadn't heard me. We spent approximately 20 seconds saying hello back and forth with me turning my cell phone to speaker to make sure I was being heard. Finally she says something about me only saying hello and I understood that she was just playing games. I asked if this was Pit to Plate and she confirmed that it was (which would have been nice if she had answered the phone properly). When I told her that I'd been given the wrong order she remembered me and assured me that it was right because she had packed it herself.

As unbelievable as that was to me she began to rationalize why a whole order of ribs only amounted to approximately five bones. She says, they are big bones and she charges by the pound and that its plenty of meat. I explained that I was trying to feed more than one person and she actually told me it would be enough for me and my son. LOL. When I asked her about the small sides as if for a single portion she just went, Ohhhhhh. I wish you would have told me that you wanted it for more people.

What??? I told her that the ribs didn't come with sauce either and even though she had admitted to packing it herself she immediately blamed that on a 'new' worker. She said when I come back she'd give me an extra sauce on the house. I. Will. Never. Go. Back.

The coleslaw was creamy and tasty but the veggies were not evenly cut which is fine if you like big mouthfuls of cabbage. The meat was wayyyy too salty and it was barely warm. With sauce it might have been better. The greens appeared to be canned. The food only ranks at a level 2 out of 5.

2  Thank Pepper P

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We couldn't decide where to go and decided to try Pit to Plate. After all, we live pretty close and have heard good things about it for years. We figured it would be.worth a try. WRONG. Very poor and slow service, they serve sweet iced tea but have no lemons (just packets of lemon crystals), the sauces are just ok, the pulled pork was ok but had LOTS of fat, the meat was inn large chunks and the only utensil provided was 1 plastic fork, the brisket was sort of shredded and mixed with fat, the greens were pretty bad and mushy like baby food, the other sides (beens and mac n cheese) were ok. On the plus side, the garlic potatoes and mashed potatoes were pretty good and the band was good. We had a consensus that it would rate a 1 or 1.5 and agreed there was no reason to ever go back.

2  Thank IRMLJM
Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you want a good down-to-earth brisket sandwich with a number of sauces, give Pit-to-Plate a try. They are good people with good food at reasonable prices.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I'm a big fan of indie restaurants. I think the owner and chef can create a much better value by taking control over your entire dining experience than what a chain can achieve creatively. Pit to Plate nails this idea. You'll love it.

I checked it out for the first time from a local friend's recommendation. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon ahead of the lunch crowd. Diane, the owner, greeted us and sat down with us as she painted a picture of our food options beyond what you'd take from the menu. Throughout the course of our lunch she was friendly and helpful.

We quickly decided to start with chili mac, a blend of her homemade Texas chili and macaroni noodles (the long, thick, curly kind -- not the Kraft kind). For "just a buck", you get a tasty sample serving the size of a scoop of ice cream. The chili is bold and flavorful with tender beef and stewed tomatoes standing out most. This was so delicious I can't do it justice in words. I'll be back for a bigger portion.

Though I initially expressed hesitation, we tried the jalapeño cornbread per Diane's recommendation. I told her that I'm not a big jalapeño person, and she insisted it would be delicious with "if I don't eat it, I don't serve it". It was light, moist, and I'm glad we tried it. This is cornbread done to perfection. Don't worry about the jalapeños, they're subtle.

I had the $6 lunch sandwich platter which includes 2 mini sandwiches (or 1 full-size), a bag of Grippos, and coleslaw. I don't say this much, but the combo is underpriced -- I would have happily paid a few bucks more for what we got. The pulled pork was tender and moist, much better than what you find at City BBQ, but the real champion was the beef brisket. My partner chose chicken and ribs for his sandwiches and spoke highly of both as well. To be honest, at this point you should really stop reading and just go try it -- you'll love it.

I'll catch some flak for mentioning this in a BBQ review, but I don't like vinegar or mustard-based sauces, or better put, I've not yet found ones I enjoy. Because of this, I feel unqualified to comment on the variety of six sauces offered at our table. Diane brought us sample spoons to try them, and I chose the mild BBQ which was great, just a little tangy, though I only used it lightly to not overpower the flavors of these delicious meats.

At the end of our lunch, my partner and I were both so impressed that we both placed to-go orders for the texas chili mac, jalapeño cornbread, and coleslaw. The 'nati is a one-hour drive for us, so we wanted to make sure we could get one more taste before our next trip. When I arrived home to unpack it, I noted the care Diane had taken to wrap our soup bowls and the outer package in plastic bags on top of paper just in case of spillage. Though this is a small touch, it really shows how much she cares about the business and your satisfaction. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Taylor E
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We have known Diane for years, she is wonderful. food is good and a nice place to visit. My fav is the chili mac and chicken wings. She will even smoke a turkey for you at the holidays