“Retirement Party”

Vinoklet Winery & Vineyard
Ranked #682 of 2,029 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Home of 10 award winning wines including "Best of Show" in the 2015 Ohio Wine Competition, Vinoklet is located on 30 acres of picturesque rolling hills and ponds and is the only working winery with a vineyard in Hamilton County. Grown and cultivated in Cincinnati, Vinoklet wines are born with Ohio River Valley soul. Get away from it all without leaving town!
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had never been here before and had never heard anything about it, so when the nurses I work with said they had picked this place for my retirement dinner and told me the concept I looked forward to it. We arrived around 7:15 pm on a Friday evening and there was a wedding about to start in the lower gazebo overlooking a pond (if I remember correctly). You walk through this great arbor to get to the door to go inside. Inside our party was congregating and we were assembled near the bar to have our wine tasting. We tasted 6 wines and decided on a reisling, very good. After we tasted the wine and picked which one we wanted with our dinner (couples choose a bottle, single receive a half bottle) we were instructed to get the wine at the bar and choose which meat we would like to grill. We had a choice of steak, shrimp, pork chops, chicken or one other meat (which I can't remember). We went into a side room and made our salads, they also had a soup choice and took them to the loft to eat. Then we went back to the side room and received our meat selection and went to the grill to grill our food. On a table in the grill room are flavorings for enhancing as well as tongs, plates and steak knives. On the walls are the grilling instructions for the type of food you are grilling and plates to put the finished product on. After you grill your food to perfection you go back to the side room to choose potatoes, 2 vegetables, rolls and dessert, coffee, tea, pop. We made several trips so we could carry everything. The food was very good. I had pork chops, I tried my husband's shrimp-spicy but good. He and my youngest daughter split steak and shrimp and both said the food was very good. My oldest daughter got the chicken and she enjoyed hers very much. My husband and I enjoyed the experience ver much and are talking about going back soon. My employer paid for my family's meal, but the spouses/guests of the employees had to pay for their meals. The cost ws $40. I don't know if this was a special deal since we numbered around 38 people. But it was a memorable retirement party.

1  Thank Lynn D

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The reviews we read ranked this unique restaurant from really good to really bad, but we thought we'd try it anyway. We were surprised how laid back this place is and other than the short wine tasting seminar and people clearing the plates off our table, you're pretty much on your own. We really didn't know what to expect because we never experienced a "cook your own meat" concept, but it was fun and different. The food actually was pretty good, even though I don't consider myself a gourmet chef. Weekend dinner reservations are from 5:00 to 8:00 and we were pretty disappointed that we could only get a 5:30 reservation. But, a couple hours into the night, we were glad for being early because we got a head start in front of the crowd, this place got very busy and people were cramming around the grill to cook their meat (we pretty much had the grill to ourselves early on). The wine was even very good and we ordered an extra bottle for our table of six. If you're taking the bottle unopened home with you, tell the cashier or she will charge you additional money. The vineyards and grounds surrounding the property are very beautiful and will revisit this restaurant in the summer. The night was a little expensive for the meal and wine, but we look at it as a different experience which was worth the extra money..

1  Thank SteveLadyDi
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My cousin is getting married here next year so the bridal party got together to try out the food on a Saturday night. We made reservations for 15 and had a table with a view. The view is great, winery grounds are beautiful and that's about where is ends. When we began the ordeal I'll call dinner, I was unpleasantly surprised that it is buffet style. My meal was $48 with steak and 1/2 bottle of their cabernet. (too expensive to be cooking and serving my own meal) Even more to my disappointment I had to cook my own steak. Now, I can cook, don't get me wrong, but I don't grill. I was under the impression a cook would make my steak to order. Oh no. I dressed up to end up standing outside in heels with smoke blowing in my face trying to cook my steak. No one around to help. You get next to no service from the staff. All they do is clear the table. Not worth it. Won't be going back except for the wedding. On a plus the cabernet was ok.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had a reservation for 25 for the Wed. night spaghetti special. The $7.95 special advertised online (under specials for Wed.) was not the same as what we found was offered - it NO longer INCLUDES a glass of wine, but was $6.95 + wine for $4. However, the food was still cheap so we said "OK". We were there for the company & didn't want to cause a scene. They need to change the website. I have to agree with other reviewers that the food was out of a bag, box, or can.

It is really a shame because the grounds of Vinoklet are really gorgeous! There is a wonderful, long, grape arbor that you walk through to get to the restaurant. That leads to a pretty courtyard with a water feature & many beautiful flowers. There is a pond with a large, landscaped area next to it for weddings, etc. We took a short walk down the paved walk through the vineyards, next to another pond, and were treated to a beautiful sunset!

The restaurant itself inside was OK. We ate on the attached area with a greenhouse type window & 1/2 the table had a fantastic view:) Downstairs outside there is a patio area where after 7pm there was live music - on a Wed.! They said they serve food downstairs too.

The staff ranged from friendly to overwhelmed to OK.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This vineyard has been here for many years but today is on a less traveled road. The atmosphere is five star and food excellent. Buffet is nice. Good variety on the menu. You don't need to be a wine drinker to enjoy.