“High Quality Food and Wine, Lively Room”

W.G. Kitchen and Bar a€“ River Bank
Ranked #1,213 of 1,975 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio
“High Quality Food and Wine, Lively Room”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Visited on a Friday noght at 7.30. Room was very lively, almost full. Modern atmosphere with butcher block tables.The choice of wines by the glass is good (16 reds and 13 whites). If you would like you can buy a bottle from their store (at store price) ,and for a $10 corkage fee they will serve it with your meal. This is a reasonable option considering retail wines prices are often marked up 2X for restaurants. Or they have 4-wine flights that you can order where they serve 4 2-oz glasses. We chose the Italian Red flight. I should emphasize the wines are of high quality: the 4 reds in the Italian flight are, for example : A Barbera d'Alba, a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, a Sardinian and a Chianti. We also checked out their Italian Reds in the store and the selection is good with at least 3 or 4 dozen different wines (at least 6 different Barolos for example).

On to the food... Small pita and cheese dip came out with the water, no charge. I chose the Tomato and Pepper Bisque which was excellent, well balanced and not overly-basiled as they often are, drizzle of cream and a smidge of croutons. Great choice. I then had the clams in red sauce with spinach which was terrific, slightly spicy, the clams were good and the spinach was fresh, served with grilled bread; followed by the blackened tilapia. Spicy cajun blackened effect, portion not too large, fish good and flaky, delicious. We also had the hummus and olive tapenade which was tasty.

Service was attentive and friendly, they were happy for us to order intermittently one course at a time, as we were not rushed. We spent a good couple of hours working our way through.

We considered this a find. The wine and food were all of great quality, friendly atmosphere. Definitely would be back.

• Visited November 2013

“Menu change”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I went excited to order a variety of cheeses , as well as the lobster ravioli dish I usually get . Come to find out I arrived on the first day of their menu change. You no longer get a selection of cheeses for the anti pasta plate . And my lobster dish was gone.

MI
“Great food, wine & Atmosphere”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I were in town for a quick visit and picked this randomly on open table. So glad we did! The food was great. Their specialty is wine flights and the choices were excellent. You can pick a bottle from their cellar and they will open it for you ($10 cork fee?). I had the tuna entree& it was excellent quality, seared perfectly. Reasonably priced, we had appetizers, wine, entrees for under $100. Will definitely return!

“Terrible Service”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We went on a Saturday night. The restaurant was not busy, and we were seated immediately outside. The food and wine as very good, BUT the service was awful. Took forever for someone to take our drink order, deliver our drinks, take our food order, etc. You get the idea .. Food/wine was great, poor service took away from the experience. With the price of the evening, a real disappointment! We will not be back

Visited September 2013
“Decent food”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We went here before a reds game, so there was a limited "ballpark theme" menu which int what I prefer to accompany wine. They had a much smaller wine list than I would have expected, but we found a nice zinfendel

• Visited August 2013