“Great food plus great service”
Review of Brown Dog Cafe

Brown Dog Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Brown Dog Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 1,975 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Blue Ash
Cross street: Pfeiffer and I-71
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great food plus great service”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The food at the Brown Dog Cafe is consistently tasty and well-prepared, Tonight was no different. My salad and beautifully plated dessert were wonderful but the entree was definitely the star. I ordered the special which included a Hawaiian fish (opah, I believe) served atop green vegetables and sweet potato ravioli in a light but delicious sauce ($30). Delectable! The menu includes gluten-free and vegetarian options but a gentleman at an adjoining table wanted the same special and the chef agreed to prepare special gluten-free ravioli to accommodate his dietary request. This is a small, popular establishment (reservations recommended) and has a comfortable atmosphere (I wore jeans but most people were dressy casual).
In the past, I have rated Brown Dog Cafe 4 stars because the service was slow and insufficiently attentive but this Saturday night was just the opposite. My water glass was kept full, my server checked back with me multiple times, dirty plates were promptly cleared and the chef came thru the dining room several times to ensure that everything was running smoothly. It definitely was.

• Visited February 2014

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I really wanted to like this place. I really did. Reading the reviews, I was hoping it was going to be a little treasure. It is isn't. It is drab and lacking in atmosphere. They say the food is 'eclectic' and it is, if by eclectic you mean a load of random flavors put together without any thought to taste.

It may be I simply chose the wrong things. My husband said his food was okay but nothing special. I had the rabbit tortellini. I couldn't taste the rabbit because the small amount of pasta that I had was drowned in the sauce - which had an unpleasant sweet taste. I then had the duck. This was simply horrible. Nice duck but served with a sauce that didn't complement it; it took it over. There was a pat of stiff mashed potato, a mound of broccoli (.badly cooked) and red pepper with jicama - which were not properly cooked, seasoned or anything, just there on the plate tasting of the individual ingredients but nothing welding the two together. The plate looked unappetizing and it was. Too much going on and no one thing done with any finesse.

We went there for a celebration. Really wish we'd gone to Jean Robert's.

• Visited January 2014
Mason, Ohio
“Not a spectacular birthday dinner”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Don't know what I was expecting, but was a little disappointed. Had the seared ahi tuna, friends had salmon and lamb, the three of us thought it was good, but not great. My husband, however, loved his game plate, which included venison, pheasant and something else in the ravioli. The bread was delicious. The meza plate appetizer was ok but not great for $7.95.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Reliable and interesting”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Brown Dog is a place we say why haven't we been there in a while? The food is excellent, the atmosphere relaxing, wine choices better than beer choices but both good. Went there with "new old friends" and all liked their choices - lamb duo, rare tuna, stone bowl, the evening's fish special. One of the gems worth travelling for and parking easy in its surprising location in a strip shopping center set back from Pfeiffer Rd (it may be a bit hard to find your first time if you've not been there before but easily "gps-able").

• Visited January 2014
“Perfect.”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Exactly what we were looking for.... Personal environment, tasty treats, delicious wine... Definitely don't miss this gem.