“Excellant Meal, Great Service, A Bit Pricey for some”
Review of Brown Dog Cafe

Brown Dog Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Brown Dog Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 1,991 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pfeiffer and I-71
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had our first experience with Brown Dog Cafe last night . We were a bit surprised the menu as it is ultra gourmet ( By this I meant there were things like wild boar , quails eggs, rabbit,duck etc and a variety of "cuisine styles"- mediterranean, southwestern, etc) This is due to the restaurant being totally chef owned and operated by him and his family. The food was absolutely excellant in presentation and quality. I ate the scallop/mussel plate which was amazing and we shared the mediterranean appetizer. I think the only "down" part of the evening was the prices. A 4 oz glass of wine ran $9.00 and entrees were mostly in the $23- $35. range. So this for us would be a"special occasion" place. We have not tried lunch there but probably it is more moderate in price . Tip: Make a reservation.

There are newer reviews for Brown Dog Cafe

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I went to the Brown Dog Cafe after a recommendation by a local from Cincinnati. We were seated quickly even though it was during lunch hour which was great. The complementary bread was amazing. I'm not sure if they make it in house or have a bakery that they buy it from, but it's delicious. My husband ordered a fancy loaded burger with a parfait as a side and I ordered a club sandwich. My husband loved his entire meal and thoroughly enjoyed everything, so that's why this review is getting four stars. I can't give it 5 stars because unfortunately I didn't like my meal. Since this was our first visit I wasn't aware of how the cafe does things but I assumed the chips on the side would be potato chips, but they were sweet potato chips, which would be okay but 75% of my chips were soggy. Is this normal? I don't eat sweet potato chips often so I wasn't sure if this was how they are or not (but soggy chips are never good). My sandwich (the club) was just okay. It didn't knock my off my feet or anything that's for sure. So four stars because I didn't like my meal but my husband adored everything he ordered.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I travel to the Blue Ash area frequently on business and the Brown Dog had been recommended by local colleagues. And you'd need to be a local to know about it. Just off I-71 and tucked behind a Bob Evans restaurant it's hard to see from the road, but worth the effort to find. It's small, so probably not conducive to large groups, but not too loud. Despite being small, we were not rushed to finish and turn the table over. There is a full bar and a good assortment of local/regional beers. The bread, from an affiliated bakery, is super. While we both had fish dishes (me a cioppino, my friend the halibut) there is an eclectic choice of adventurous game and meat dishes. The key lime pie dessert could have been more tangy but was still quite tasty. All in all a great meal. It's not cheap (about $50 each with drinks and dessert) but won't break the budget either. The menu is too interesting not to come back for more.

1  Thank Hammbrook
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was our first visit to Brown Dog Cafe. Tucked away in a strip mall, it appears nondescript from the outside, but lovely inside. It is a small place (get a reservation!), but still has a surprising array of menu items (Rabbit Empanada's, anyone?). I had the petite filet and crab cake. The filet was tender and cooked to perfection! The breads before the meal, all from The Blue Oven Bakery, were wonderful. We had a great time. Expensive, but very good.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Always eager to try unique restaurants, and based on the positive reviews I'd read for Brown Dog Cafe, I was very excited to try it. Unfortunately, my group and I had a very disappointing experience due to poor service and subpar food.

Although we were seated quickly and brought water, we were never provided with the drink menu (I ended up having to walk up to the hostess stand to retrieve one myself). Bad enough, but when the server eventually stopped by to take our drink orders and we informed her that we weren't ready because we had just gotten the menu (as I am sitting down from grabbing one), the server actually huffed under her breath and looked irritated, as if we'd inconvenienced her.

The service quickly went downhill even after that. The server was very slow with returning to the table to take our orders. The wait to get our food was excessive. My party had discussed ordering another bottle of wine towards the end of our meal but had to forego it since our server never returned to check on us. After we had finished our meal and drinks and the table had been cleared, we had to sit at the table for another 15 minutes before finally getting the check.

Because we were a party of five, a 20% gratuity was added to the total bill. While I am accustomed to a gratuity for six people or more, adding a gratuity for five seems - well, gratuitous. And, adding an automatic 20% tip is unreasonably high and does a disservice to the person choosing to patronize the restaurant. In the hospitality business, 15% is more typical with added gratuity, thus providing the patron with the option to tip more for good to exceptional service. I have no issue tipping 20% or more at restaurants for good service. However, I do take issue with being automatically billed 20% gratuity for the poor service we received. Because my party ordered generously off the menu (two appetizers, five entrées, one bottle of wine and two other alcoholic drinks), the bill was not cheap. We almost felt like the waitress was deliberately slacking off because she knew she was guaranteed a high tip.

The food was nothing to write home about, and combined with the poor service and unjustified gratuity policy, none of us will be returning to BDC