“Overpriced fatty filet mignon ”
Review of Sakura

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sakura
Ranked #444 of 1,991 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I live in northern ky and have eaten at many hibachi places. I met my mother here for dinner yesterday and was pretty disappointed. I ordered the filet mignon and shrimp combo. The shrimp n veggies were good but the fried rice and steak was another story. The filet mignon was filled with fat n gristle! Nasty! The fried rice had chunks on chicken in it! Pretty sure I will not be paying 30 dollars for a meal there EVER again. Miyako off Buttermilk Pike blows this place away AND has better prices.

There are newer reviews for Sakura

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We've been to Sakura two dozen times over the past three years, and it is our kids favorite place for special occasions. The wait time is rarely an issue, and the servers are attentive and skilled. It's a convenient location given it's proximity to I-74 and I-275.

In general, we've never had a bad experience here. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a low-key and fun time. In need of some updating, the actual restaurant is somewhat dated, but adequate for family. The sushi is better than average, and the menu is simple.

Be attentive during the order process. The pricing for meals, although representative of the show each chef provides, is hardly friendly. Additionally, they frequently add items (and serve them) that were not ordered. (fried rice, etc...) Most assuredly, they charge for them, as well. It's not a huge issue, but it's clearly deliberate. The kid's meals are pricy, but again, you are paying for the show, and the kids really love the flaming volcanos.

It's worth a visit, just speak clearly when you order and pay attention.

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I have been going to Sakura for years, practically since it first opened. Now, we pretty much only go when we Iare invited by other people. The service and quality are really downsliding these days.

The drive up to the place is ugly. It is surrounded by an abandoned-looking hotel which I think are now shady apartments. There isnt much the Sakura folks can do about that but their own grounds are in serious need of some simple landscaping and clean up. Weeds overgrown, abandoned tools. No pride whatsoever in the outside of the place.

The ambiance in the restaurant is upscale and it's always been clean. No complaints there. We usually make reservations and don't have issues being seated right away.

Their sushi is always good, but on this last visit, they obviously forgot to make our rolls. The server and manager played it off like the sushi chef just got busy but we watched tables seated long after us get their sushi order. No explanation or apology for about 45 minutes until after we asked for one.

The manager is my biggest complaint about this place. I'm not sure if he is the owner too or what but he is awful. Never lifts a finger to help his staff that we have ever seen. Not once have I ever seen him make rounds in the dining room. In fact, when we asked to speak with him on our last visit, we were told he was too busy. He did end up coming over, but with a chip on his shoulder and not willing to listen.

The quality of the food is inconsistent. Its either delicious or overcooked and bland. Their best chef is Fooki (I have no idea if that spelling is correct) - ask for him. He will prepare your food well and give you a great show.

Sakura is popular on our side of town so I'm sure we will be asked to joi mm friends there again but I'm certain we won't be going on our own anymore.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We've had a long standing family tradition of going to the downtown Bennihana for special celebrations. It closed a while back and our daughter graduated from college this past May so we decided to try Sakura. Read a lot of mixed reviews on some other web sites so I was a little concerned. But overall it was very good. We had a GREAT chef that really put on a show. I did notice one of the other tables had a chef that was not nearly as good so I guess it's just luck of the draw. Service was good and the menu/prices are very similar to Bennihana.