“Hidden gem and I do mean hidden”
Review of Sotto

Sotto
Reserve with OpenTable
Sotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 2,001 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut Street
Description: It is a concept of casual intimacy and communal romance.Sotto is the art of simplicity, a steward of restraint. It’s undressed, gutsy and human. It is fire, meat, wheat, and laughter.Above all, Sotto is Italian.
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The Entrance is a non descript worn out basement door that opens into a subterranean fantastic restaurant. The food was great. My wife had bronzino. Which was done to perfection. It was char grilled so skin was crispy yet the inner flesh was firm and moist. I had short rib cappellacci. Which was like a ravioli with tender pieces of short rib within it. All of the pasta is made in the restaurant, you can watch them make it if you like. Interesting appetizers. I had one which was fresh mozzarella with some red pepper flakes and blended with lemon and baked in lemon halves. Very unusual combination of flavors. Dessert of salted caramel gelato made on the premises was great.

The music can get somewhat loud but the manager lowered it after it was alled to their attention. The decor is unique, you feel as if you are below the city, like the caverns below Rome. I highly recommend it

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have been to Sotto on three different occasions. I have lived in Cincinnati for over 30 years. I have to say this is the BEST restaurant in town in my opinion. Of course, I LOVE Italy, too....so I'm most likely biased!
Service, outstanding
Food, so authentic Italian I can hardly stand it.
Décor/Ambiance, I feel like I'm in Italy.
GO THERE!
THE BEST!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We couldn't get reservations last night so we sat at the bar. The service was excellent, the meal divine. We shared the kale salad and bruschetta, then I had the simple pasta and my friend the octopus. Afterwards, we had the warm ricotta doughnuts with dark chocolate, pistacchio and salty carmel dipping sauce. All perfect.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I wrote the following directly to the management at Sotto, the new restaurant in downtown Cincinnati occupying the space below the acclaimed Boca.

After two weeks, no response.

My advice: food is good, but the ambiance is dreadful.The comment about telling 10 about the experience is of course obsolete, as now we can reach hundreds if not thousands.

Message was:

Our first experience at Sotto, and probably the last until some changes are made.

Food was very good indeed – you know that. Service was good.

We could not read the menus it was so dark.

But the deafening volume of the “music” made it impossible to converse. Although I requested twice that the volume be reduced, it wasn’t and by the end of the dinner I was getting a headache.

Since you are in retail, you know that when a customer has a good or bad experience, they will tell 10 others, and indeed we will.

For an Italian themed restaurant, where is the Italian music? The “music” choice was totally incongruous and distracting from the food experience. And is your staff so hearing damaged that they do not hear the volume?

Our advice to friends will be to stay away until the music problem is fixed. When it is, we will definitely be back.

3  Thank Haynes G
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We really enjoyed the atmosphere at Sotto despite the restaurant being a little noisy. The food was excellent. We enjoyed several courses all delicious. I really liked watching them make the pasta fresh.