“Superb Experience”
Review of Sotto

Sotto
Reserve with OpenTable
Sotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 2,006 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut Street
Description: It is a concept of casual intimacy and communal romance.Sotto is the art of simplicity, a steward of restraint. It’s undressed, gutsy and human. It is fire, meat, wheat, and laughter.Above all, Sotto is Italian.
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Six of us dined at Sotto and every single dish that was ordered was fantastic! We started with two types of bruschetta, the goat cheese with honey and the rapini with chickpeas and pecorino cheese. One was sweet and the other was savory, but both were excellent. Then, for the antipasti, we had the arugula salad with prosciutto and parmigiano and the polenta with a fried egg and parmigiano. I'm generally not a huge fan of polenta, but this is not your typical polenta. It was delicious, although I did prefer the arugula salad.

On to the pasta course. We ordered three different pastas and shared with each other to get the most variety. All of the pastas were cooked to a perfect al dente, which is difficult to find in many Italian restaurants these days.The cavatelli con rapini was more like a soup. It's very tasty with Italian sausage and chicken broth. The lumache all’amatriciana was tasty but a bit on the salty side. I believe it was from the guanciale,which is similar to pancetta but with a bolder flavor, and not due to the chef. Although it is difficult to pick a favorite of the three, the bavette con battarga did have a slight edge in my opinion. It was a perfect blend of flavors and textures with the Roma tomatoes, the slight heat of the habanero oil, and the light and crispy bread crumbs.

For our second main course, we ordered the 36 oz. porterhouse to share. It came with a mashed cauliflower dish that was flavorful and a sautéed kale that was cooked perfectly. I also recommend the donuts with the three different dipping sauces for dessert - a perfect way to finish a delicious meal.

Everything was excellent, including our server, who was perfectly willing to describe some of the dishes, answer our questions, and make recommendations. He was very knowledgeable and attentive. I only wish I remembered his name, so I could give him his due on trip advisor.

Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for my pre birthday dinner. The service was great. We ordered arugula salad, farro salad, breaded pork and butter cheese peppercorn pasta. Everything was delicious m we finished with the ricotta donuts they were amazing. Will be back again

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Menu seems simple, but delivers with excellence. Service is fantastic, with an impressive knowledge of wine pairings. Very friendly, and I can't say enough about how good the food was. Can't wait to go back!!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Well, this place is in the old La Normandie space, to which I'd never visited. So, I can only say that in it's new itieration, as Sotto, it is crazily dark in there as you walk down the steps. Like disconcertingly so. It took a full 5 minutes for our eyes to adjust once seated, and my boyfriend grumbled that "he hates places that try so hard to be so hip," although we were both willing to give it a chance. Wonderful wine list, knowledgeable and attentive server, and once you get adjusted to your surroundings, you realize that it's actually very romantically lit down there, and the 2-person banguette felt cozily super-intimate. Anyway, the goat cheese and hazelnut bruschetta with honey was delish. My boyfriend tried the chicken liver mousse, which he said was quite good. For the "Primi" course, we got the short rib cappellacci, which were amazingly little pasta pillows that melted in your mouth to reveal the short rib deliciousness. "Secondi" was the wood-fired branzino with this delectable bulgur concoction of cucumbers, olives, lemon oil, and mint. We shared everything and it felt sufficiently full. However, not knowing when we'd return, and knowing that my boyfriend is a dessert kind of guy, we opted for the sorbetti and gelatto plate, which was the perfect ending. Even after was said and done, it was funny that we emerged from the Sotto grotto to realize that it was still daylight outside, which was funny actually. It's worth the trip, folks

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We had a group of 10 in Cincinnati for a business meeting, and Sotto's was recommended by someone in the group. Our reserved table was available right away. Our server was very helpful, suggesting we choose one item from the first page of the menu and one from the second. Our group likes to pass our plates and share, so we got to try a little of everyone's food, for which I was grateful. HIghlights (for me) were the baby kale salad, breaded pork loin (the lemon and caper sauce was excellent) and the almost-lighter-than-air donuts. The pasta dishes were enjoyed by others. The wine selection was excellent. Lighting was very dim, making us all grateful for the flashlight apps on our phones.