“A really good meal”
Review of Sotto

Sotto
Reserve with OpenTable
Sotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 1,982 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut Street
Description: It is a concept of casual intimacy and communal romance.Sotto is the art of simplicity, a steward of restraint. It’s undressed, gutsy and human. It is fire, meat, wheat, and laughter.Above all, Sotto is Italian.
“A really good meal”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The food here is really, really good. There's not a lot of options (particularly if you are gluten free) but what they have is simple and great tasting. I had the burrata and brocooli, which was awesome and very garlicky. The kale caesar had great flavor but the kale could have been softened a tad more. The braised beef entree with polenta was fantastic and I gobbled it down immediately.

The restaurant was way too dark. I'm not even 40 and there was no chance I could read the menu. Everyone at the table had to get their cell phones out to light the menu enough for us to read it. Also, the restaurant is quite loud. Our group of seven was moved to a private room, which was brighter and quieter. If you are having a business meeting you will want the private room.

The service was fantastic. As soon as I mentioned I didn't eat brea the waiter made sure everything I ordered was without it even if I forgot to ask.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“A pleasingly different restaurant”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

It is one of those restaurants you know is gong to be good, as it can be difficult to get a table. Meals are served family style, to share. Our choices were excellent, but two of the dishes were over salted for us. The chicken, and one pasta dish. I would not let that put you off though. Cincinnati has too many bland chain restaurants, offering a myriad of badly cooked boring dishes. This place has a smaller selection of extremely interesting, one offs. So two small complaints, too much salt (not needed in a cheesy dish), and my white wine was warm, so I had to whine about my wine. It would not stop me returning. Go, give it a try, we may even attract more individuality.

Cincinnati
“Good Food... Service Needs Work”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Decided to give Sotto a try after hearing how "wonderful" and "amazing" it was. Took a table on a Saturday evening. When we arrived the place was busy and the bar was full but our table was ready right upon our arrival so that was a good start.

Reviewing the menu, they have a pretty basic set of starters, pastas, and mains. Our server advised us to consider taking one item each from the bruschetta, starters, pasta, and main courses, which for two people seemed fine to us. After receiving that recommendation for the food I reviewed the cocktails and wine list. The cocktails were nothing special and consisted of a few house cocktails that seemed interesting but a little overthought. They had a few Italian beers that you don't see everywhere, which I thought was excellent. The wine list was basically all Italian glasses and bottles but with a number of bottles in the $35-$50 range, making the list approachable for a variety of budgets.

I thought the food was good. The goat cheese and honey bruschetta was probably our least favorite due to the relatively small portion size and the fact that the goat cheese did not have a ton of flavor to it. The Buratta starter was very good. Our pasta course was excellent. For our main we chose the breaded pork loin, which was cooked well and had a nice flavor to it.

I thought the service was unimpressive. Throughout the whole meal we got the impression that the goal of the service was to get us through the meal as quickly as possible. The courses basically came right on top of each other with very little time in between to let your food settle, converse a bit, maybe enjoy some of the wine, etc. Perhaps worse, our waiter brought our check before we even received our after dinner coffee, which to me is a sign of a restaurant that either has not done a good job of training its wait staff or that needs the tables back so quickly that they're happy to see you go. In either case, it's pretty inexcusable.

Overall, it was a good experience. We paid about $100 for four courses and wine before tip, which I think is reasonable for an evening out at a decent restaurant. I'm not sure if we'll go back or not. If you choose to go, I would definitely suggest to discuss meal pacing with your server so that you don't get rushed through your meal.

Cincinnati
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over-rated”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

A decent place but it's noisy, crowded and the chairs are not particularly comfortable. The service was excellent but I fail to understand why so many other people give this rave reviews. The food is nothing special and the choices are extremely limited.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank jeffreyrobbins
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Do yourself a favor and go”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We ate at Sotto with another couple to celebrate our anniversaries a couple months late. This was, hands down, one of the best meals we've had anywhere.The service was great also. We with two different bruschettas to start, a prochetta and a goat cheese. I NEVER eat goat cheese, but this was delicious and I would even order it again. For dinner, we had the braised short rib cappelacci and the breaded pork loin. The cappelacci could be the best thing I've ever eaten. The pork loin was great. Get the donuts for dessert. Overall, an awesome meal with tons of flavor. We also expected to pay quite a bit more, but we felt the prices were lower than you'd see at any other Downtown restaurant of this quality.