“Large plate enough to share”
Review of SmoQ

SmoQ
Ranked #89 of 2,064 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I'm not a huge fan of southern "smoked" bbq(I prefer rotissarie or traditional bbq), but this was quite good and the portion was enough for my wife and I to share one entree and one small salad and feel quite satisfied without even finishing the meal. The bbq chicken diner was a large half chicken plus 2 sides. I found the white meat just a bit on the dry side, although the skin was very tasty and my wife, who prefers the dark meat, liked it a lot. The sides we chose were baked beans and sweet potato/pecan brulee - both were very good, but very sweet - I now know why Paula Dean is so chubby. Our server was lovely and cheerful and the restaurant was bright and clean (if a bit hard to locate - our GPS seemed a confused, but did finally get us there).

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was my 2nd visit to SmoQ. Same good food as always.Good atmosphere. Portion sizes are generous. Went on Sunday night; service was a little slow but the server acknowledge it before I could say anything. Although the sauce may be thin, it has a good flavor without being syrup from overuse of sugar. Still working on how to get ribs and the sweet potato casserole from Springdale to Louisville for my extended family. Wish they would open a restaurant in Louisville.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

After visiting Smoq twice, both very deliciously successful visits, a review is merited.

Smoq offers a casually upscale approach to barbeque. A comfortable environment, delightful service staff and delectable menu choices - I'm not sure where to start! My party of four visited Smoq on a Monday evening, in celebration of life-changing event. I hoped to make a reservation for our party via Open Table, but Smoq isn't listed as a selection (that's a shame). However, arriving at 5:15pm we found we had the restaurant to ourselves. The hostess was lovely and service was immediate. We would have preferred a comfortable booth, but table would do, as the booths are for those individuals on the petite side or for two luxuriating in cushiony space. Once the party settled in and orders placed, I excused myself to sneak away and inform the hostess of the special occasion. She quickly took our celebration seriously and offered a complimentary red-velvet cupcake (with candle) for dessert, but I was able to swap that out for the caramel chocolate cheesecake (for a .50 cent upcharge on my $85 bill). I'm a little surprised about the meager upcharge, considering the amount of the bill - but I won't quibble, because the cheesecake was sinful!

Our party ordered soft drinks - each priced at $2.25 each with free refills. Refreshes of drinks were plentiful and timely. No bar charge or upcharge for a lemonade/iced tea split. (Thank you!) I ordered the beef brisket plate and it was easily the best brisket I've ever tasted (and I'm a devoted City BBQ fan)...meaty, tender and smoky - it was begging for one of the four barbeque sauces on the table and it was almost impossible to choose my favorite sauce.

My dinner companions ordered the nachos with brisket ($8.99), as an appetizer, and it was enough to feed all our healthy appetites. For dinner we ordered a half rack of baby back ribs ($16.99) and the "pick two" platter of pulled pork and and ribs ($18.99). The baby backs were not very meaty and definitely did not fall off the bone. This plate was probably the least favorite of the group. The pulled pork was tasty and moist. The St. Louis-style ribs (also ordered) were delicious. Did I mention the sides? Each plate came with two sides. The side dishes are remarkable. If you don't feel like ordering dessert, order the sweet potato praline casserole (eat it for dessert)! The mac and cheese was rich and creamy. The grits were savory and yummy! Sauces are what you would expect: sweet, hot, carolina style (mustard) and memphis style. My favorite was the carolina-style (and be forewarned - it WILL open your sinuses).

Our bill totaled up to $94.14 (for four adults) - that's one appetizer, four dinners (each with two sides), four soft drinks and one cheesecake (free except for the small upcharge). That's about $23.54 per person. Here's a tip...join the Smoq Signals club (rewards program) and you'll receive a coupon for a free appetizer, so that knocked $8.99 off the final bill.

I've been to Smoq twice and we definitely go back. There are too many wonderful menu selections and not enough dinners in one week! Great food. Great environment and great service...give it a try!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

The St. Louis ribs are to die for. There is nothing we ever have eaten there that wasn't at least above average.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We went with a large group during off hours. We had quite a variety of foods ordered. I'm from the South and prefer TN barbeque to all others. Their BBQ was ok. The sauce was what was lacking. Very thin BBQ sauce just doesn't cut it for me.