“Beautiful and So Much Fun”

JACK Cincinnati Casino
Ranked #42 of 199 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: Our 100,000 square foot gaming floor features nearly 2,000 slots, 88 table games, a 31 table poker room and in-house linked and standalone progressive jackpots all on one level!
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Horseshoe Casino was absolutly beautiful, the food was amazing and full of life. My mom and I went to the Il Divo Concert that was held in a ballroom. Such a great time and an absolutly perfect concert. The only down side to my visit is the beautiful horseshoe necklace I bought broke after on wear.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,781)
All reviews
in 74 reviews
"concert"
in 84 reviews

Reviewed May 5, 2013

being no stranger to casinos, I had been looking forward to visiting the horseshoe casino in Cincinnati. living only an hour away it seemed like a great step up from the cramped barge casinos that have been the norm in the area since gaming made the scene.

the casino location is on the fringe of the downtown area, and not really walkable from anywhere I would want to be. the parking garage was as good as any las vegas parking garage, it was Saturday so it was free, no complaints there...the second level of the garage leads to the casino.
so far, so good...

we had made reservations at binions, which bills it self as upscale dining...we had a few hours to kill before dinner so we decided to get the layout of the casino and get new players cards. getting the cards was time consuming, I guess since the casino is new more people needed cards that will in a year or so...after getting the cards we decided to try out luck on the slot machines, usually a good way to kill some time and have a little fun....first of all the place is filled with penny slots, which were really quarter slots and higher disguised as penny slots. I actually saw penny machines that were minimum 100 pennies per pull, I think that makes it a dollar slot machine...I couldn't fiqure out why until I saw the payouts, which were penny based, bet 100 pennies, win, and get a 25 penny pay out...you could win every spin and still lose all your money pretty quickly...I really don't expect leave with more than I came with but I would like play for a while before losing all...even with the misleading machines and the poor payouts the casino was filled almost to capacity with people mindlessly feeding the machines, with what looked like their last dollar. the table games are your best bet as at least you have a chance based on your skill and knowledge.
the casino was nicer than I expected, had the feel of a new, off strip, casino in las vegas, kinda reminded me of the M, on south las vegas blvd...nicely appointed in an economical way...but for the Midwest, not bad...

there were several places to eat, bobbys burgers, a pizza place, starbucks, jimmy buffets margarettaville , and binions...our choice for dinner....first of all I will say that all the employees were great in the whole casino, all very nice, friendly and helpful...binions is the upscale dining option in this casino, while the service was first class the food was a little better than average. the service and décor are 5 star but the food was 3 star, I guess as the casino get older the place will be filled with patrons being comped with meals for losing $1000s of dollars, made to feel like whales, being waited on hand and foot, but not noticing the average food...
although I didn't try the buffet, it looked like a version of a las vegas buffet, it looked nice, hope the food is...but one day, it too will be filled with losers being comped for losses, so the food only has to be but so good, hopefully im wrong...

there is a center bar called the rock bar, the drinks were strong, (and why not, the more you drink the more you lose), and the service was excellent...there is nightly entertainment, in the rock bar, sometimes a band, sometimes just one person...a side note, the drinks were excellent, and not over priced...that's positive....

after dinner we decided to play the slots a bit more to see if our luck had changed, it had not...these are the tightest machines ive ever seen, I guess they don't have to worry about you leaving and going to the casino next door!

I was told that one day they will build a hotel connected to the casino, too bad its not there now.

all in all there is a lot of potential there, add a hotel, a night club, upscale dining with upscale food, decent slots, maybe a few retail stores and now you have a destination worthy of something, as it is now all you have something ugly that is wrapped up in a pretty box. at least the casinos in vegas make you feel good about leaving some money there...cant say I had that feeling as I was driving home....

1  Thank James H
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband, family and friends waited four long years to finally get our own casino, here in Cincinnati. In March, 2013 the Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati, opened with Grand festivities! We were SO happy, because we no longer needed to go to Lawrenceburg, Indiana (25) miles from home, just to have a little casino Fun. Unfortunately, We have been disappointed!!!

The casino is small. The restuarants: Bobby Flay's Burgers, Jimmy Buffet's Margurettaville, a small pizza place and the Grind Buffet, all sit right inside the "gaming area". Some might think- that's good! No it isn't! While gambling, you're constantly smelling aromas and they are not always good smells- yuk!

Parking is NOT free until after 6:00pm during the week. That's because they built this place in downtown Cincinnati and they want to keep downtown workers from trying to get free work-day parking in their garage. So you may have to "play-to-play" before 6:00.

Now, We are slot players primarily, and that place is SOOOO TIGHT it is just plain SAD. My husband and I have made 9 or 10 trips there and we've never won a dime! Few bonus games on the one and two cent games. If you get one, you're not likely to win anything- sorry. On one machine, I was betting $2.40 Guess what I won in 15 free spins? $12.00 !!! On another, the bonus paid "0". Yes- that's not a penny! Finally, in all our trips, I've only seen ONE jackpot.

We've decided to stop going to Horseshoe Cincinnati and go back to the Indiana Casinos. There you can win sometimes! So if you find yourself in cincinnati Ohio and want to try the Casino, all I can say is "good luck"- brother you will need it!!

2  Thank SlotLover59
Reviewed April 28, 2013

First the good:

Non smoking casino throughout- which is a nice change from the Indiana casinos that are toxic and terribly ventilated. There are many table games to choose from if you like the headlining games. Drink service was quick and there are plenty of restrooms. The slots seem well laid out and the lighting is decent. There are many food choices from Starbucks to Bobby (Flay's) Burgers to Margaritaville and a buffet. There were some kitchen utensil giveaways while we were there. We were comped rooms at the 21c hotel (see review) and there is a shuttle that runs every 20 minutes from the hotel to the casino. The return is easy to navigate (near Starbucks) although the wait seemed longer.

The bad:

Similar to the River's casino outside Chicago and other metropolitan casinos the comps are terrible. Especially the table comps. Due to all the food choices inside the casino there is no comp beverage machine or coffee dispenser.

The table minimums slip to ten dollars in the a.m. but rise above fifteen dollars by early afternoon and are packed which will keep the minimums inflated until the newness of the casino wears off. At blackjack even with the inflated table minmums there is no surrender option available. Didn't see any double or single deck BJ tables.

The Three Card poker rules prohibit a pairs plus and 6 card poker bet. You are required to bet the ante/play. I have never run into this requirement and when I asked was told that the state board required it? Also there is no Spanish 21 which you can find at Hollywood in Indiana.

Be careful of table payments also as many dealers are inexperienced. Make sure you tabulate your winings and check your chips when you color up/in.

Video Poker was limited and finding better paying JOB was tough. There are no multiple game penny video poker machines.

Parking is expensive for valet with a discount for a Total Rewards card based on level. Parking in the main structure fluctuates by day.

As mentioned we were there on comped rooms. Cincinnati is a nice city and there are things to do other than gamble. First time was fun but there are better casinos. Next time we would probably skip the Horseshoe and go to a Reds/Bengals game, Underground Railroad Museaum, nice restaurants, etc.

Unless you are a slots player or live in Cincinnati and just want a convenient place to gamble without driving to Indiana this is a one-time experience.The one upside is building Total Rewards points for Harrah's/Ceasars comps in Las Vegas.

Good and Bad:

THe casino is located off the highway convenient for travel and easy to walk to from mid downtown hotels, but it is not close to the River or the stadiums. It is next door the the Hamilton County Sheriff's building which also houses the county facility. While there is alot of law enfocement activity there is also some undesireables lingering about. However the area seemed safe enough during the day.

3  Thank USSBeagle