“VERY GOOD FOR SEAFOOD”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 14th Street
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Enjoyed the raw oysters and this was the attraction for us this evening. The price was good and you could mix them up. It was a night with an offering of $1 oysters and then the others were priced higher. DId not try anything else but the atmosphere was neat and they have this cool outdoor veranda was well. Very eclectic cocktail menu as well although I did not partake but would like to try the White Negroni.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We decided to try this restaurant after seeing it on Facebook. We drove 2 hours to do so. When we arrived at 4 o'clock they weren't open until five. The place looked very nice. So we waited. When we walked in I was in love with this place. Beautifully decorated, very nice. As we looked at menu we were excited to try the items on it. I Ordered soft shell crab, my husband ordered king crab legs and our daughter ordered fish and chips. We also ordered peel and eat shrimp $12. They were very good. So we were excited for our meals. When they brought out my husbands crab it was one leg and some butter. One leg that's it. $23. He said the leg tasted good but just not enough. Now my meal was $32. I know that soft shell crabs are special, only in season a short time and understand the cost, if they are good. They were not. Fish and chips were ok kind of fishy tasting. Had a lot better at Long John Silvers. Then the bill over $120. I don't mind spending the money for good food but do mind for ok or less. It seems we were paying for ambience and atmosphere. The drinks we good, beer selection good. Our waitress was wonderful and sweet no complaints there!! We will not go back. Definitely not worth the money or the drive.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

My group of 10 friends ate here for the first time on a Friday evening. The weather was beautiful so we opted to eat outside. The patio was nice, although every so often the clang of the dumpster closing behind the fence was annoying.

The service was good, with multiple servers & helpers attending to us, often appearing in full force and then disappearing for awhile. Anchor's atmosphere and prices seemed to be upscale, but the attire of the server helpers varied from a snappy look, to a long dress, to cut off shorts, kind of a mix of dress code.

We ordered quite a variety of food, from fried oysters, to scallops, to fish, to lobster, shrimp & grits, pickled veggies, deviled eggs, and more. Most everyone was happy with their food. However one person said their fried oysters were dried out and hard, while another person said theirs were good but not great. A favorite was the shrimp & grits and also the pickled veggies.

I had made a reservation weeks ahead, and reconfirmed the day before. I had been told that since we were arriving at 5pm we could decide then if we wanted to eat outside or inside, depending on the weather. When we arrived the hostess seemed annoyed that we decided to eat outside, but perhaps she hadn't been informed.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Who would have thought that a seafood restaurant in the middle of the country could be so good. The Anchor, in Cincinnati's resurging Over-the-Rhine neighborhood, delivered a great meal and then some. The restaurant sits in a smartly restored space near the Music Hall and outdoor dining is available weather permitting.

We had a group of 5 celebrating 3 birthdays and enjoyed every minute there. From a very nice wine selection, an amazing menu and an excellent server, this is a meal that we won't forget. We started with the Deviled Egg "snack" and it may have been the best one I have ever eaten (sorry Grandma). They offered a special appetizer, a fresh take on a Caprese salad, with Georgia peachers, an amazing soft white cheese, Tarragon, toasted bread and olive oil. This was excellent. Our partied tried the scallops (perfectly done according to the 2 that had them), Fish & Chips (again 2 big thumbs up) and one of that evening's specials, Soft-shelled crabs. My partner grew up on the Jersey shore and said this was one of the best preparations of Soft-shells he has ever had.

The Anchor will definitely be on our list of places to come back to when we are in Cincinnati again. My only suggestion is turn the music down or off completely. The restaurant was packed and everyone had to talk to loud to hear people at their tables that made it just too loud. I prefer a restaurant that favors their guests having conversations, not trying to talk over the piped in music.

1  Thank Robbwayfan
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Beautiful outdoor seating overlooking Washington Park. Best seafood in the city. For you oyster lovers, Thursdays are Oyster Mania; $1 oysters and PBR all night! The Trout BLT was big and had lots of flavor, I didn't finish it. But, we had several appetizers beforehand. Aaron Drahmann is one of the best chefs in Cincinnati, you won't be disappointed.