“Good and spicy!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was our first time at Shanghai Mama's and we really liked it. The portions were huge, the prices very reasonable, and the service great. I loved the wrinkle beans and eggplant and it could have been three meals instead of just one. If we ever make it back to the area we would definitely go back!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is one of my very favourite restaurants in down-town Cincinnati! It has great hours on the weekend but closes pretty early during the week. You get an amazing value for the price at Shanghai Mama's and there are a lot of vegetarian friendly options! You can order three (3) appetisers and three (3) entrées and its still under $40 before tip! There is not one thing I have ever had there that I could complain about nor any of my guests - and I take everyone there when they come to Cincinnati!! I do think that you get a better value when you dine in rather than order take out as you seem to get a little more food but either way I always have at least two meals from any entrée I order! Do not miss a night out at Shanghai Mama's!!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We discovered the hard way that Cincinnati pretty much shuts down food-wise at 11:00. We got out of a show at 11:00 one night, and needed to eat. Seemed like there were lots of places to party, but nowhere to just get food aside from ordering pizza (not an option for someome with gluten issues) or cabbing to some diner a ways out. Luckily a server at a Mexican restaurant (that wouldn't let us in because they were closing) pointed us in the direction of Shanghai Mama's, just a few blocks away. It's open until 2 or 3 am, I don't remember which, on weekends. Of course, it was packed, but the wait was not that long. Especially when facing starvation for the rest of the night.

The service fell apart on us. We were on the edge of one server's territory, and the table was split for two parties, so neither server came over. Eventually someone in my group hunted one down, then all was well. It was a little bit ugly for a while, though.

The food was excellent. Noodles, stiry fry with rice, all very fresh and well made. No mushy veggies or chewy meat. The noodle soups are absolutely huge. The other entrees are as well, for that matter. But the soup bowls are the size of a football helmet. My husband and I went back the next day before leaving the city, the food was that good. The lunch menu is more limited, and it's seat yourself, but the food was still excellent. My General Tso chicken was nicely spicy without scorching my mouth. And my husband had the wonton soup again - it was that good.

I do have to say that the noise level at night was nothing short of astonishing. It's a small place with lots of tables, so the people noise is there. But it's right next to a night club. A very loud night club. With thumping techno music bleeding through the adjoining wall. I'm assuming that earlier in the evening it wouldn't be that loud. I hope. It was nice for lunch, though.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Didn't like the setup (you order, sit down and cold food shows up, eventually). I was there at lunchtime. Had to eat and run.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Great flavor, varied menu, service was great and a good value.