“Don't waste your time”

Celestial Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Celestial Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #616 of 1,979 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Mount Adams
Cross street: Monastery Street
Description: Four star, Four diamond dinning with a stellar view of the city.
ohio
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

What I would like to know is how on earth this place got top marks from Forbes and Triple A? I would challenge either of these businesses as to how they reached their decisions. I eat out for dinner almost every night of the week at all types of restaurants from five star to hole in the wall bars and have good knowledge on what it takes to be a good dining establishment. I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as reviewing this place. My only thoughts would be to tell you to not even consider it.

• Visited February 2013

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great views don't overcome bad service and food”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The reputation and views from the Celestial is what led us there for my mother-in-law's 60th birthday. We had a large family dinner and got reservations. The table was ready but very quickly we noticed how warm the room was. By the end of our meal I was literally sweating as was most of our party. The waiter was gracious and friendly but the entire place seemed understaffed. He was running back and forth across the entire floor with little to no help. Our meals were decent, the Lobster Bisque is tasty. My steak and potatoes were good although the steak was a little charred. I asked for medium rare and the center was accurate but the outside was fairly burnt. Some of our party was happy with their food, some were disappointed. The wine choices were good and again, our server was nice but clearly overextended.

After dinner we went to the bar to hear a band that had been playing. We tried to order but the bartender was rambling on to some customers for an extremely long time. By the time we tried to order, he couldn't answer any of our questions, had to have help and then forgot about us once a waiter answered the questions. To top it off, he was definitely not in a right state of mind heavily under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It was quite frustrating. One drink was poured by the waiter and he left to go back to his table. When we tried to pay the bartender he had no idea what we were talking about. The manager came by and asked what was wrong. Instead of trying to help, she sent the inebriated bartender over to try and smooth things over. He was in no shape to talk to anyone let alone apologize or negotiate. This was both frustrating and embarrassing because he was loud, defiant and out of his mind. The manager never should have sent him over, he should have been sent home and fired when he was in a more sober state.

The food was pretty good in most cases, the wine was good, the views are amazing and our waiter (poor guy) tried very hard despite some short staffing. But I just can't get past the management. Why were they short-staffed on a Saturday night? That bartender should have been spotted on the way in and sent home. I can't say I would return any just about any circumstance which is a shame, it's supposed to be a great place.

• Visited January 2013
“Horrible service”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had reservations for the bar area on Xmas eve for 7:30. We waited 20 min for someone to take our drink order, 20 more to get drinks & menu, had to ask several times for water refills. It took 2 hrs and a very unfriendly server. Surprisingly the manager never stopped by. And we spent over 200.00! Our family of 4 will never go back.

Ohio
“OK Food, Good Service, Great View”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I came here for New Year's eve. THE BAD: We waited 40 min to be seated even though we had reservations. We were only seated after I came up to ask what was going on. Next, it was cold in there. I understand that the large windows and the view are part of the place's appeal, but it was freezing near that window! We had to eat with our coats on. Next, there were several menu items that we were immediately told had run out. We ordered Coke, got one and then the server came back out and said they were out of Coke. I ordered the salmon and my wife ordered a pasta dish. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't fine dining. There are chains that make better food. It would have been nice to see a little talent in the cooking, especially for the price point. I wasn't impressed. The salad I had as an appetizer was good and so were the scallops. We didn't order dessert because it's the same boring choices that everybody has: creme brulee, chocolate cake and cheesecake. Also, I understand it was NYE and close to midnight, but the staff seemed very rushed, like they wanted us out of there. THE GOOD: Our server was very good. He was attentive and he checked on us frequently. He even brought us out a piece of boring chocolate cake at no charge because they were out of other menu items. The restaurant itself is a really nice and interesting place and the bar side was festive. The view from the restaurant is amazing! It's almost worth eating the average food to enjoy that view. Maybe it was because it was NYE or maybe it was something else, but this place needs to work on it. Chef, get your weight up.

• Visited December 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“New Year's Eve”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Overall, this was a very enjoyable dining experience. We arrived approximately 10 minutes early for our New Year's Eve reservation, which I definitely recommend because the parking situation is tough. We were promptly seated and given a rather decent wine list, however expensive. The view is absolutely amazing. The restaurant is divided up into separate rooms, but I imagine that they all have a fairly nice view of the city and the river. I ordered the gorganzola and pear salad, and she had the chicken and vegetable soup. Both were very good. For the main course, I had the Kansas City Strip and she had the Baked Chicken. Again, both were prepared very nicely and delicious. At first I thought that my steak was going to be dry and unappealing since it appeared almost burnt. But it was seared properly and quite juicy and tasteful. Her chicken was cooked quite nicely as well and tender enough to cut it with a fork. The service was quite good as well. The glasses were never empty and every request was met.
I was hesitant after reading some of the other reviews, but can say our experience was thankfully a good one. I would visit this restaurant again for a romantic evening.

• Visited December 2012