“Interesting place”

Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 2,063 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: 7th
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Restaurant is located in downtown Cincinnati and there is an overall fairly classy Art Deco mood about the place.
When you enter the restaurant, you are greeted by 2 very good looking and pleasant ladies which direct you to your reserved table. Even though we arrived right on time, we had to wait awhile to get seated. The reception desk faces 2 old, very well preserved and beautiful barbershop chairs.
As the name implies, the restaurant's specialty is beef, ranging from filets to huge boned steaks. The menu also offered some seafood. The days' special was Alaskan king crab legs, which 2 of us ordered, by the piece; they were excellent, even though on the short side with a heavy price. One of the other guests ordered a filet which was grilled as requested and very tender. All the side dishes have to be ordered separately.
The wine list was fairly extensive and carefully chosen but with a very stiff price attached to it. We ordered a rather passable Californian merlot, recommended by the maitre, which was absurdly priced, value wise. The waiter kept filling our wine glasses to the brim, quite annoying and unpleasant since it did not let the wine breathe adequately in the glass; he was obviously trying to push a second bottle; otherwise the service was quite good.
The restaurant was crowded, the long bar well stocked with all kinds of liquor and also jammed packed since there was a very good band playing that night. There is some kind of music entertainment apparently every night.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

There were five of us who went together based on a recommendation. The service was great, Leaha was very attentive to the table. We had oysters rockefeller for an appetizer and they tasted great. For dinner we shared a "bone-in" filet, which was a first for me. It is actually a bone on the side, but the fact remains that the bone is attached to the meat. It did seem a bit juicier. The steak was done exactly the way we wanted it and we tried three different toppings to go along with it. A blue cheese, a butter blue cheese and a cognac peppercorn. All were good and each certainly added something different to the filet. We also tried the mac and cheese side and it was very creamy with a crust. One of our group had a petite filet, which didn't seem all that petite. The other two had the aronoff salad with hearts of palm which they did enjoy. We finished off the meal with a piece of carrot cake, which was very rich, but good. We also enjoyed the piano bar. The piano player was not too loud and played a great range of favorite oldies. If we were coming back to Cincinnati, we would definitely return.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just back from a weekend including dinner. Our food was good albeit not fantastic and service was disinterested and very slow. Maybe a bad night but was expecting much better. And oh by the way the restaurant was about half full. Will likely think twice before we go back.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Had dinner with 3 friends in July 2013. It was a fabulous dining experience - far better than any I've had at a Ruth's Chris or other comparable steakhouse. I ordered the surf-and-turf - 12-ounce filet and 8-ounce lobster tail, along with 2 scallops in an apple-balsamic glaze that was featured on their "specials" menu (I asked the waiter to add the scallops to my surf-and-turf dinner and he did not blink!). I also had the garlic-butter and mushroom accompaniments for my steak, which were very tasty. One friend ordered the same as me, one had the ribeye (massive - she said it was delicious) and one friend had the salmon (he said it was good but he preferred the chicken he'd eaten on a prior visit). For sides, we had the six-cheese macaroni-and-cheese (very good), mashed potatoes (decent) and creamed spinach (delicious). Two of us drank the Maschio Prosecco, which was decent, and one drank the house Burgundy, which she said was very good. It is a fine-dining experience, and you will pay for that experience, but it was worth every penny (about $140 for my dinner and 2 splits of Prosecco, plus my portion of the sides)! I will DEFINITELY return to Jeff Ruby's on my next trip to Cincinnati!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We arrived about a half hour early for our reservation on a Friday night. We arrived in the city a little earlier than expected and were very hungry! We shared a split of prosecco while we waited for our table. They sat us about ten minutes early. Great start!

Our server explained the specials of the evening but we ordered our usual filets. The only boneless filet option on the dinner menu is 12 oz. I asked if an 8 oz. filet was available and our server made it happen.

We skipped appetizers and he ordered the 12 oz. filet, I ordered the 8 oz. For sides, we got the steakhouse hash browns and mac and cheese. The filets, ordered with sides of bearnaise, were tender and flavorful. We both thoroughly enjoyed them! The hash browns were good, but average. The standout was the mac and cheese. Lately, it seems many upscale restaurants are adding a smokey flavor to their mac and cheese. Not Jeffy Ruby's - theirs was as it should be - creamy and cheesy with a crispy panko crust. We LOVED it!

The service was outstanding and the food delectable...so why only four stars? We were seated at a circular booth that had a wall filled wine bottles behind us. The wine bottles stretched down from the ceiling to the edge of the booth seats. They looked as though they hadn't been dusted in years! The dust on each bottle was extremely thick. We could see all of this dust at eye level. It made me wonder, if they're not cleaning areas that are very visible by the customer, what else are they not cleaning? It's a small thing, I know, but for a $150 dinner, the restaurant should be clean.

All in all, I would recommend Jeff Ruby's. If we decide to visit Cincinnati again, I'm sure we'll stop in.