“No equivalent for high-end Steakhouse!”
Review of The Precinct

The Precinct
Reserve with OpenTable
The Precinct is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,005 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Columbia Parkway
Transit: There is a public transit stop across the street from the front entrance.
Description: For Jeff Ruby, this is the steakhouse that started it all. In 1981, The Precinct was born in the former Cincinnati Police Patrol House Number 6. This turn-of-the-century, Romanesque-style structure would hold what is now the longest, continuously running white tablecloth restaurant in the city. Recently named one of America's Top 10 Steakhouses by USA Today and Gayot.com, The Precinct is frequently recognized as having Cincinnati’s best steaks, seafood and service. This consistent high level of quality and overall guest experience over 3 decades has endeared Precinct to celebrities, businesspeople, families and loyal diners alike.
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Short taxi-ride from the Convention Center/Hotels downtown - cost approx. $13.50 but well worth the drive and cost. This is a well-known restaurant owned by Jeff Ruby. Pictures on the walls indicate restaurant is frequented by celebrities, athletes, politicians and famous chefs from around the world, a testament to the quality of the food for sure! I had a filet that was cooked as requested and was as tender as butter although did not need the King Crab accompaniment as it provided no additional flavor only presentation. I prefer my steaks without sauces and gravies and was pleased they provided my bearnaise sauce on the side - make sure you ask because my table mates were served with the sauce on the meat. Order the full loaded HUGE baked potato and the mac & cheese side dish, you won't be disappointed. Trust me, there will not be room for dessert, however if you plan well you may be able to share a Bananas Foster - heaven awaits!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

the precinct has been around for a very long time, which speaks to the popularity of a good steakhouse in an vastly underserved market. their patrons will pay any price they see on the menu because there doesn't seem to be any competition in the metro area. when i lived in cincy, natives spoke about this place like it was valhalla. i don't think they got out much. it's a "destination" restaurant because so few other destinations exist. it's a good steak, but, it's just a steak, and it's way overpriced.

1  Thank dominicandandy35805
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We always dine at The Precinct for our wedding anniversary and it is always a pleasant experience. We made reservations since walking up and getting a table in June is next to impossible. We arrived 30 minutes early to enjoy the really nice bar prior to dinner. We had a before dinner cocktail and just enjoyed the nice atmosphere. 6:30 came and we were seated promptly by the charming seating hostesses.
The wine list is quite extensive and pricey. Some wines priced over $700 a bottle. We opted for the $13 per glass Merlot which was just wonderful. Several wines can be purchased by the glass but most are offered by the bottle.
My wife always gets a steak called the "Steak Collinsworth" for $49. A filet with King Crab & Asparagus, Béarnaise & Mushroom Bordelaise. I have had this before and it is wonderful.
I jump around and order something different every time we go. By suggestion from our waiter I ordered a strip steak called "The Whitworth" for $48. It is a Blackened NY Strip with Horseradish Sauce and it was absolutely awesome. One of the best I have ever had. Perfectly seasoned and melt in your mouth perfection. Served on the side, the horseradish sauce was blended with other ingredients that made the sauce a perfect compliment to the steak.
The Precinct includes a side and a salad in the price of the steak. Other Jeff Ruby establishments are a-la-carte. The garlic mashed potatoes and greek salad were our choices and were wonderful. Rye bread and sour dough bread are always brought to your table.
Here is the "But" part. The tables at the precinct are placed rather close together to get as many people seated as possible. Normally, this has never been a big deal for us because people converse in a normal to low voice level in this place. This time a group of 6 people were seated next to us. These people had idea on how to behave in a nice restaurant. They were loud, cackling, and down right rude. They could care less who was seat around them. I know it is a fine line on how the management could have handled this situation but they did nothing. I could tell this rudeness aggravated several of the guest.
I filled out the card the waiter gave me and just wrote down what I thought. He was very apologetic and said he would tell the management.
Not withstanding all of that shenanigans, the evening was salvaged by the wonderful food we were served.

1  Thank rjcvg
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is by far the best steakhouse in Cincinnati. The food was fantastic and the service was beyong belief. We never wanted for a thing all evening. It is a pricey place to eat, but worth every penny. I would recommend it to anyone celebrating an occasion or just wanting a special night out.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I am a steak eater, period. I have had the pleasure of eating in very good steak houses all over the country. The Precinct is always in my top 3. The quality and service is always consistent. The steak, and it does not matter what you choose, is always fabulous!