“Superb! I highly recommend a visit.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Precinct

The Precinct
Reserve with OpenTable
The Precinct is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 1,893 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Columbia Parkway
Transit: There is a public transit stop across the street from the front entrance.
Description: For Jeff Ruby, this is the steakhouse that started it all. In 1981, The Precinct was born in the former Cincinnati Police Patrol House Number 6. This turn-of-the-century, Romanesque-style structure would hold what is now the longest, continuously running white tablecloth restaurant in the city. Recently named one of America's Top 10 Steakhouses by USA Today and Gayot.com, The Precinct is frequently recognized as having Cincinnati’s best steaks, seafood and service. This consistent high level of quality and overall guest experience over 3 decades has endeared Precinct to celebrities, businesspeople, families and loyal diners alike.
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Superb! I highly recommend a visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I must begin by saying I am generally not a steak lover--in fact given the choice I go for the seafood selections every time. However, on my first visit to Cincy and traveling with an avowed steak lover, I felt compelled to indulge a visit to The Precinct--let me just say that I will no longer shy away from a good steak! My steak (JAC Collinsworth) was the best I have ever had! It was cooked wonderfully, excellent taste, tender, juicy and clearly a high quality piece of beef (the Collinsworth topping was superfluous).

As a side note, because I didn't really expect to enjoy my steak- I ordered the "crab cake appetizer" to satisfy me and I would like to say that it, paired with the slaw, was excellent-- and I AM a crab cake lover!! Also, my daughter had the mixed green salad and it was also very good and better than the Freddie salad that comes with dinner. And by all means don't miss the baked macaroni and cheese- I see why it was rated the best in Ohio. Often restaurants get a little too fancy with their additions when they try to elevated mac and cheese but this was done right--the basics but just kicked up notch with wonderful cheeses and rich cream and butter.

I highly recommend a visit, yes it's pricey but in my opinion well worth it. A clear 5 star experience for food quality, taste, portion and service --will definitely visit again!

• Visited March 2013

“Always Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

As with the other Jeff Ruby restaurants, in my experience this is the best steak I've ever had anywhere. The Precinct was Jeff's original restaurant, and has a bit more of a "local steakhouse" feel to it, as compared for example with the Ruby's steakhouse downtown, which is more glitzy. The Precinct is an old police station, which adds considerably to the architectural appeal of the place. But, of course, the food is the star, and the service is also absolutely outstanding, and consistently so. Food wise, the menu has expanded over the years, and there are more appetizer and side options than in the past, which is a good thing. On the service side, I don't know how the Jeff Ruby restaurants manage to train their staff so well. Every restaurant in the country could learn from this group. I also applaud the decor decision to get rid of the somewhat cheesy sports caricatures that used to adorn the walls, in favor of more Victorian pieces which match the building's age. In any event, A+ as always for The Precinct.

1 Thank Travelpro513
cincinnati
“Outstanding, as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Outstanding as always. Been going to The Precinct every year for Valentines Day, worth every penny. The first bite of my Steak Collinsworth was simply perfect...I can still taste it. Wife had the AJ Green, NY Strip and it too was wonderful. This year we shared another side dish, the Truffle-infused cream corn, which was terrific as well - just enough Truffle flavor, but not too much. Out the door for under 2 bills, and we had wine, and desert. I still say this is the best steakhouse in the midwest, possibly the country, and I travel for a living. Not crazy about the pink accent lighting they've added, it seems to me in previous years the mood lighting was a different color...it didn't take away from the experience, just didn't seem to fit.

Cannot wait until next year!

• Visited February 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Dinner Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a perfect restaurant for a wedding anniversary dinner. Their Lobster and Prime Rib is to die for and so are their desserts of coarse.
It is best to make reservations ahead of time.

Loveland, Ohio
“Steak, Steak, Steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Look, Jeff Ruby's is one of the old style restauranteurs in the Cincy region. His first restaurant is the Precinct down near Delta Ave and Route 50, East of downtown cincy.

One thing I thought of the whole time was, Ruth Chris, Mortons, Chart House, Charlie Trotter, etc.
This is a locally owned version with a more homey execution of the above mentioned places.
I happen to think it is better than those places, but it should be. Main Course entree's were versions of bone in or boneless steaks and some seafood choices. The filet was what I ordered and I received a plate that at one time moo'd and now was simply delicious. It was so very good. One of the best places I have ever had to eat cow.
That said, the prices were also over the top, but in the business world, this is not unexpected. Dinner for 6, 3 bottles of wine, appetizers, one dessert and some coffee post meal was over 750 then there is a tip needed. So if you want to engage in a delicious meal, and have a nice business discussion, this is a good choice. My nit with the place is that it is cramped old historic buiding that has a need to be updated in carpet, mirrors on walls, decor. I personally think that a nicer decor, a server who would stop badgering me to eat some of the appetizer, and I would be happier. I would like to try other Cincinnati landmark restaurants and compare to this Jeff Ruby business and make an update to the review.

• Visited January 2013