“Always A Great Meal”
Review of The Precinct

The Precinct
Reserve with OpenTable
The Precinct is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,028 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Columbia Parkway
Transit: There is a public transit stop across the street from the front entrance.
Description: For Jeff Ruby, this is the steakhouse that started it all. In 1981, The Precinct was born in the former Cincinnati Police Patrol House Number 6. This turn-of-the-century, Romanesque-style structure would hold what is now the longest, continuously running white tablecloth restaurant in the city. Recently named one of America's Top 10 Steakhouses by USA Today and Gayot.com, The Precinct is frequently recognized as having Cincinnati’s best steaks, seafood and service. This consistent high level of quality and overall guest experience over 3 decades has endeared Precinct to celebrities, businesspeople, families and loyal diners alike.
Reviewed October 31, 2011

You will not find a better steak than at one of Jeff Ruby's restaurants. The Precinct is, as the name implies, in the old Cincinnati Police Station. The charm of the old building is intact with photos on the wall from its time as the police station.

Everything is first class from the attentive, but not intrusive, staff to the perfect steaks and side dishes. I recommend the 16oz filet with the garlic mash potatoes, accompanied with sautéed mushroom and asparagus. There is also an extensive dinner and after dinner wine selection.

I have always had a great dinning experience at the Precinct and will continue to visit it regularly. Plan to spend $75 per person before drinks and I would not recommend young children dine here, even though the staff would accommodate a child’s need for a burger or sandwich.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

My husband and I took my sister/husband, who are from New Orleans, to the Precinct, and they were impressed with the ambience and excellent food. The steaks can compete with any in the USA, and they felt that, even in New Orleans, the Precinct would be a special place to eat.
The restaurant is going through an expansion, to enlarge the bar area, which will open soon, and this will only add to the atmosphere. The Precinct has, wonderful,personal attention, and not overly noisy, so one can have a normal conversation. Also, an excellent wine selection.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

Sure, it's expensive, but that doesn't mean it's good. The steak here is just a decent cut of meat that they destroy by putting a thick and heavy sauce on top. It's really the same with all of Ruby's restaurants. The food is just smothered in something that ruins the flavor of what you actually ordered.

The service is good and the atmosphere is pretty cool, but I wouldn't come for food or drinks.

1  Thank sj1923
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Went there with 3 friends for a night out. The crab cakes and shrimp cocktail were very good. We ordered 3 rib eyes and a filet. This was my second time there and the steak was prepared the exact same way as the first time.... both being excellent!

We also had some sides: creamed corn and spinach- outstanding. Washed it down with a bottle of wine from their well priced list.

Another excellent dinner at the Precinct! Be sure to be hungry as the portions are quite large. Many people leave with left overs.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

I went there with a friend because I'd never been before and wanted to try what I had heard was an amazing restaurant. I don't see what the fuss is about. When we were seated we were asked what our special occasion was. I thought that was odd, and said we had none. The waiter seemed surprised, as though two people can't go there without it being an anniversary or something. Other than that the waitstaff was good, friendly and helpful in my understanding what the cuts of beef were. The wine list was adequate, heavier into reds than whites, but I understand that, since it is a steak house. I can't remember what cut of beef I had - it just wasn't memorable. The pricing is way higher than it should be, in my opinion. I was expecting melt-in-your mouth, but it was just a good steak. I might go there again for a business dinner, but not with friends and not even for romance. It is dark, quiet, very old fashioned and manly. If you like that kind of thing you will love this place.