“Perfect gem of a small museum”

American Sign Museum
Ranked #7 of 183 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: We are home to a visual history of American Signage from 1870 through 1970. Hand carved wooden signs, gold leaf, electric light bulbs, and neon all grace our walls and tell amazing stories, especially when told by our founder and avid collector Tod. Take a trip down memory lane and visit us in the Camp Washington neighborhood of Cincinnati!
Lebanon, OH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect gem of a small museum”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you enjoy visual arts, sign making, graphic design, or just cultural nostalgia, you will really love a visit to the American Sign Museum. The museum is apparently in a relatively new location, which was designed and renovated specifically to display the signs. The signs are arranged in chronological time periods, and very creatively displayed. There is ample room to view the signs from all sides, and the building itself was clearly done with a loving craftsman's hand-picture perfect. The last section is a "town square" or "streetscape" with signs displayed in situ and in shop windows. The Sign Museum has also partnered with a neon sign shop, which is a working shop, allowing you to view the craft of neon sign making first hand at the end of your tour. The day we visited, the tour guide was the museum's founder/director and former editor of Signs of Our Times, a trade magazine on the craft of sign making. He had a fantastic depth of knowledge and really enjoyed answering questions. In the neon shop one of the business's partners was working. He demonstrated the craft, and also had a lot of experienced wisdom on his trade to share, willingly answering questions, and at times illustrating his responses with demonstration. The trip was my 13 year old son's idea when we couldn't all agree on what to do with a day off, and he got high fives all around for this choice! We took about an hour and a half to go through with the tour and watch the neon demonstration. I have a couple of degrees in art history and have instructed at the college level, and I learned a lot. It was fun for everyone else, too, not pretentious, although it was educational. A bit off the beaten path as museum's go, but well worth a trip.

• Korean first
Brentwood, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“American Sign Museum - go see it!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The American Sign Museum was an excellent experience (4 adults in my party). The admission fee was reasonable and the hour-long tour with Lenny was GREAT!! The signs are VERY interesting and cover a period from early 1900s to at least the 1950s. They are in very good condition and the building is clean, spacious and well-kept. They moved within the last few months, so be sure to get the correct address before you go (1330 Monmouth Street).

Upland, ca
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Awesome and nastagic”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was a great place to visit, it was a walk down memory lane. It is a fun place to see old signs from the past and visit great details of old. I really enjoyed the visit to this museum and it has signs from all over the US and it is a fantastic visit, very creative and with a neon sign demonstration, I highly recommend it.

Visited July 2013
Dayton, Ohio
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had never heard of this museum until I found it on Trip Advisor. I am so glad we found it. It was very interesting & fun. They display many different types of signs. We were also allowed into the shop of Neonworks to see how neon signs are made. There is also a "street" so you can see the signs as they would have been used. The storefront windows display articles related to sign making. Parking is in front and side of the building. I also noticed a small park nearby at the corner of Colerain & Monmouth with a few picnic tables & small playground. Nice area for a picnic or let the young ones expend some energy.

Plymouth, Wisconsin
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Pricey, but very interesting”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

As a baby boomer, I thought that the Sign Museum was worth the visit. It brought back many fond memories from my childhood. I was reminded of places I had visited and other images. My teenaged children were not as smitten as I was.The price of admission at $15/adult was on the high end for the experience.

Visited August 2013

Been to American Sign Museum? Share your experiences!