“More than just the history of signs” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 141 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: We are home to a visual history of American Signage from 1870 through 1970. Hand carved wooden signs, gold leaf, electric light bulbs, and neon all grace our walls and tell amazing stories, especially when told by our founder and avid collector Tod. Take a trip down memory lane and visit us in the Camp Washington neighborhood of Cincinnati!
Ohio
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“More than just the history of signs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I learned about this museum earlier this year, about the time they were moving to their new location. The museum is somewhat deceiving from the street, but once you turn into their parking and pull up to the main entrance, you know you've come to the right place. Definitely plan to go on the tour, so go to their website and schedule one ahead of time. You will learn so much more than just the history of signs, but the history of the times that they were made.

Visited November 2012

Wheatland, California
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Neat place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We visited last weekend. I think this is a neat museum and worth a visit if you are anywhere near Cincinnati. You have to take a tour to really appreciate everything, though. When we arrived it was a 20 minutes before the tour started so we walked around on our own. It was neat, but then during the tour we got more history and the signs were even cooler. Our tour guide was the owner of the museum and he did a good job of explaining the various types of signs and the history of sign-making.

Visited October 2012
Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“American Sign Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you are planning a trip to Cincinnati. Please visit the American Sign Museum, It is hard to find, I used a GPS and I got lost but It is a wonderful place to visit. I highly recommend it.

Visited October 2012
Cincinnati
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“A Unique Not- To- Miss!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We had an out of town visitor and I was looking for things to show him that were really unusual and interesting. I knew about the Sign Museum but just had not been able to " find the time" to visit. I was blown away!! Antiques Roadshow was there filming that day. The tour was full of fun info and I became a real sign lover. Though tourists will love this, I suggest that Cincinnati natives take a look too.

1 Thank Gungadin
Atlanta, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Museum With Heart”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The American Sign Museum is not just a collection of signs. There are ubiquitous works of art mixed with intricate hand-rendered signs from people who didn't just make signs - they lived it and loved it. As mentioned in almost every review, the founder Tod Swormstedt, not only knows the details of every element, he delights in sharing his vast knowledge and love of the craft. Whether your interests lie in early American ephemera or the beauty of well-executed craftsmanship, this is a magical place.

Visited November 2011

Been to American Sign Museum? Share your experiences!