National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
and up
The Nati in a Nutshell Cincinnati Food Tour Including Carew Tower Entrance Fee
Ranked #10 of 187 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Cincinnati, Ohio, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center stands as the nation's newest monument to freedom. It brings to life the importance - and relevance - of struggles for freedom around the world and throughout history, including today.
Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Stunning”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

As someone who has read quite a bit about the history of American slavery and the Underground Railroad, I found this museum to be fascinating. To walk inside an actual (not reproduction) slave pen and see the shackles bolted to the ceiling and floor gave me pause. It was interesting to notice that no one dared to touch them.

Obviously this museum comes under the category of ‘education’ rather than ‘entertainment’, but I think the museum did a good job of making sure there were sections of each exhibit that kids would find interesting without overwhelming them. However - the "Slavery Today" section may be a bit much for kids to handle.

2 Thank VirginiaVacationer

• Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Incredible!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I must admit that much of my impression comes from our tour guide. He was awesome! He made the history come to life for us. Be sure to take in the videos as well as the modern slavery portion too. This museum is a top notch teaching tool for current and future generations.

Louisville, Kentucky
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great museum”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I went with my child's class for a school field trip. Everyone really enjoyed the visit. We had a guided tour. The guide showed the shackles and how they worked. They also had the chance to learn what it was like to be a child drummer boy during the Civil War. The video of a slave trying to escape to Ohio was very meaningful. I highly recommend this museum to anyone, but particularly for school field trips. In speaking with other parents who attended, the only disappointment that anyone had was that our school only allotted 2 hours for the visit.

Visited June 2013
Portland, Oregon
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Go more than once if you can”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stopped here for a visit on our way thru Cincinnati. I would love to have had more time and capacity. There is too much info to absorb in a single visit. We spent 3 hours there and I could easily have spent twice that much time. I particularly enjoyed the exhibits that related experiences of actual individuals. Just couldn't read as much as I would have liked. Even if you know the basics of the Underground Railroad, you will find so much new information. All of us should know more about this part of our history.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Interesting and enlightening visit, perhaps overpriced”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The museum was interesting and focused on many important issues, such as the slave trade, the underground railroad, and slavery in the modern day. However, I felt that 12dollars was rather expensive for the experience.