“Know your History”

and up
The Nati in a Nutshell Cincinnati Food Tour Including Carew Tower Entrance Fee
Ranked #11 of 189 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Cincinnati, Ohio, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center stands as the nation's newest monument to freedom. It brings to life the importance - and relevance - of struggles for freedom around the world and throughout history, including today.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went there over the summer and was surprised the things I did not know about slavery. Cincinnati as a major stop on the Underground Railroad it's the perfect place. It also has a nice chronological time line tracing our roots through the civil war.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you think you know a little something about slavery and issues surrounding the subject, think again. I am former diversity and black history teacher and thought I knew alot about the subjects. But, going through the center broadened my knowledge through its impressive array of artifacts and information. The center helps bring new meaning towards understanding a subject that most of us know very little about either because of shame or history "lost, stolen, or strayed."

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Costly for what it promises. I didn't take much in the way of history away that I didn't already know. What staff we encountered acted as though they had better places to be.

2  Thank OneFlight53
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were members for a while. Very unique museum you have to see at least once in your life. It's very sad but so important.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

It has been several years since my visit but I will say I enjoyed the time spent. I thought the displays were between provacative to disconcerting. The topic is so far out of our character today it seems impossible. But it wasn't impossible, in fact it was a way of life. Facets of this way of life are demonstrated through several mediums beginning with the haunting slave holding building through many display examples and brief movies each telling a story.

For me the most disconcering display is a brass sculpture depicting a group of men chained by the neck to a store front. After you catch your breath the reality dawns, these are not criminals - these men are for sale!

It is done with, slavery is gone but the memory is still with us. A person can study events in books but text will only reveal so much. The past is best visited in a museum, better if a living history museum. At the end of a day, each visitor will add his money and effort and determine worth. My wife and I found great value in our visit. I recommend this museum highly.