“Veggie friendly and fresh cuisine” 4 of 5 bubbles

Green Dog Cafe
Ranked #267 of 1,952 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Columbus, Ohio
“Veggie friendly and fresh cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

If you've been to any of the Northstars in Columbus, Green Dog will be very familiar to you. It's an almost identical concept - line up at the counter to order, food is brought out to you, minimalist design, and an emphasis on locally-sourced ingredients with a lot of vegetarian friendly dishes. They even have magazines for you to read. (I believe the similarities to Northstar are not a rip-off: I recall reading when GD first opened that they'd consulted with the NS owners. So it's more of an homage).

I've been here a number of times for all three meals, and liked my food every time. This may be heresy for my fellow Columbusites, but I like GD's veggie burger better than the vaunted NS one.

Yes, if you see the counter ordering and thus expect a price point that is like Chipotle or Panera, Green Dog will seem expensive. But I feel the prices are
reasonable for the quality and quantity of food you get.

It's a little off the beaten-path for most tourists, in a newly-developed strip mall in Columbia-Tusculum. But well worth a visit if you're on the east side of town.

• Visited February 2013

Clearwater, Florida
“Green light for Green Dog”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

If your up in East Cincy, Green Dog Café is a good alternative for a healthy meal. The salad was fresh and the Turkey wrap very good. I also tried the baba ganoush and that was average. The baba ganoush with the bread was just too much and too heavy. Pita or pita chips would have worked better option. You get plenty of food with your order so you won't go away empty. If you up on Columbia it's pretty easy to get to. The food is good but not good enough to make a special trek out of the way.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Durban, South Africa
“fun eating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I avoided going to Green Dog for a long time. I think I was put off by the minimalist atmosphere and the fact that one has to queue to place an order. I finally broke down and went for Sunday brunch and am so glad I did. In fact two weeks later I went back and had an equally enjoyable meal. Green dog has an eclectic menu with a heavy selection of tex mex choices. there is a also a smattering of "curries", soups and salads. Not fine dining, but good flavors and fun food that seems to be made with healthy eating in mind. There are a number of vegetarian choices, and a small wine list. They also pride themselves on environmentally friendly practices and source much of their food from local producers; a nice touch. This is a great low key, tasty addition to the local east side eating scene. A tip is to get there early for breakfast or brunch on weekends, and lunch on weekdays as the place fills up rapidly.

Visited April 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Tasty But noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

If I could recommend one thing at this restaurant, it would be the salmon wrap.It is absolutely delicious! Portions are rather large for one ..... Especially the salads are big enough for two. The only negative so give this restaurant is that it's always so loud in there. Especially when it's busy. They need to get some kind of sound baffling hanging from the ceiling to block out the sound that bounces around in this big open space. It is the only thing that keeps me going there during busy dinner hours.

Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Taste-health-eco-fun friendly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I continuted to hear great things about this little spot that is just around the block from my home. After hitting the gym on a Friday evening, I was looking for something I did not need to cook, was ready(as I had worked up an apetite) quickly, BUT healthy fuel for my body.
I thought well I heard they do great wraps and salads lets give this a try.
The menu has a wonderful variety of dishes. If health isnt your foucs when dining out, FLAVOR is pentiful throughout the menu as well. I opted for the turkey burger with a side salad. This was literally the most flavor I have ever experience in a turkey burger. It was topped with fresh ingredients that complimented the house made multi-grain bun. I also enjoyed an affordable glass of wine(14 hands hot to trot) which was their wine special that night.
The staff was friendly, the dining room clean, with a wonderful atmosphere. The crowd included a large table of young 20's celebrating something with cupcakes, many families of 4-6, adult couples, and other solo diner like myself.
There is something for everyone and every dish that passed my table held my intrest. I will absolutely be back to try all the fresh dishes their menu has to offer! Already recommended to so many friends in the area!

• Visited January 2013