“A true Dive Bar” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of O'Malley's in the Alley

O'Malley's in the Alley
Ranked #328 of 1,952 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Irish
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A true Dive Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

O'Malleys is kind of our go to staple when we're downtown... or rather when we decide to do something other than what we came down for...

"I'm hungry" "Lets go to O'Malleys!"
"I just want a cheap beer" "O'Malleys!!"
I just want to go sit down someplace warm" Got the hint yet?

And then its off down the yellow brick road... or the red one? or... ok it's one of these 2, ok maybe 3 alleys... or that one. OH! There it is! Even if you've been before it doesn't guarentee you can ever find the danged place. But thats part of its charm. That its not going to be packed, and its especially not going to be packed full of hipsters. In fact it'll be semi full of all sorts of people! Young, old, downtown, burbs, you name it.

Their food is typical yummy greasy dive bar goodness with a twist. Their specialty by far is the smashers. A panini like sandwhich served with chips and amazing ranch dressing. (seriously turkey and provalone dipped in the ranch, YUM!) They have a shortened menu for major events, but it's still good. For Opening Day they had a HomeRun Sundae. Mashed potatoes, roast beef, gravy and a cherry tomato on top. It was great after a day of drinking.

You won't find girly drinks here, unless it's a mixed drink. And their pitchers are $6 or less! Also feel free to help yourself to the giant barrel of peanuts by the firplace. Don't worry, you can throw the shells on the floor. The bathrooms are cramped, but decent.. so you're not going to cram 5 girls in there.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“End of the Omalleys as we knew it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

It used to be THE place to go when I came to Cinci. Because of the staff (except for Lisa unless you brought a signal flare to get her attention). I walked in on Jan 24, 2013 and was dumbfounded. All the charm is gone. And Hal and Clay are gone (don't know about Clark). Ordered THE drink I always associated with Omalleys, a Jerry Juice (named after Jerry Garcia from The Grateful Dead). Well, the bartender rolled her eyes and said she'd never heard of it. I could tell from the eye roll she HAD heard of it, but didn't want to make it because it was part of the "old" Omalleys. She was probably tired of people ordering it. So, I called a coworker from Cinci and told him about my experience. He told me Hal now works at Plum Street Cafe. I went and sure enough there was Hal already making Jerry Juices for a packed house.
Omalleys is a hollow shell of it's former glory. Real shame too. I loved that place.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Alexandria, Virginia
“Dive? Yes!!! and totally worth it!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

The Westin front desk ladies told us to go to this place. It was a total dive bar, very small and yes in an alley! We had the chili with onions and chese - very tastey, a bit different but then we got more spoon fulls in and we enjoyed it. We also had whats called Smahers - I had the salami and provolone! so very tastey!!! If I go back to Cincy - I will go go O'Malleys!

• Visited April 2012