“A fun place, good music, good food”
Review of The Blue Wisp Jazz Club - CLOSED

The Blue Wisp Jazz Club
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located on the corner of 7th & Race Street, Downtown Cincinnati, Ohio.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The new location is much better than the old one - great space for this type of establishment.

Went with a party of 9 friends. We were seated quickly, but our waitress had a little trouble being as attentive to us as she would like. She was covering tables in two different rooms, and the other room (the music room) was crowded due to a CD release event. She was very friendly and doing her best, just had a lot of ground to cover.

Food was good and came out in a timely fashion, prices were reasonable. Bar service was quick and friendly. Place seemed clean and well-run.

Music scene in this place is great. In addition to the CD release party I mentioned, the main bar area had a one-piece act playing blues and jazz.

I think I'll have to put this place on my regular "to do" list as far as entertainment goes.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Arrived at my hotel at 9pm on a Monday night and left in search of dinner. Came upon Monday night jam session and heard a good set while I had a very good cheeseburger. What a great find when traveling on business. Very small crowd. Waitress said that they are thinking of changing Mondays to Salsa night. Club is clean, staff is friendly and musicians were having a great time.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Although we did not eat at the Blue Wisp, we did go there for the music. SPecifically, we went to hear Jamey Aebersold, the well known jazz educator. We consider ourselves well versed in jazz. I was very impressed with the setup, acoustics and general venue layout. I was disappointed in how little attention/regard the patrons gave to Jamey and his trio. Too much talking and not enough listening.

1  Thank Larry C
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food was good, and not really expensive. The music was terrific. $10 cover charge on the Saturday evening that my wife and I were there. The Jamie Ebersold Quartet was definitely worth the cover charge. But, if you want to have dinner, and entertainment "on the cheap", go from 6:00 to 8:00 on Saturday evening, have dinner, and listen to the "Young Lions" (local high-schoolers finding their jazz future). The "Young Lions" work for tips only, so take that into consideration (budget a little something for their tip). Service, unfortunately, was not great that evening. They seemed to be understaffed; I don't know if that's the norm, or not. But we plan to go back to hear the Blue Wisp's Big Band that performs every Wednesday evening. I'll let you know how the service is that night.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We ordered a cheese pasta plate (very large serving) and a blackened tuna. Main dishes and dessets were exquisite. We ate in the music area, with a live 4 members jazz band. Few people in the room (Tuesday night) excellent service, excellent music and excellent food. would definitely go back.

1  Thank MoneyPenny811