“It was okay”

Taste of Belgium - OTR
Ranked #3 of 50 Dessert in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Taste of Belgium serves Belgian food with a twist. If it's not Belgian, we "Belgianize" it. We serve breakfast, lunch, dinner and one-of-a-kind weekend brunch. We have a full bar and a wide selection of Belgian beers on draft (24) and in bottle. And we serve the absolute best waffles.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The beer was great. So was the service and the music and the ambiance. I ordered one of the specials that day - a burger on a pretzel bun. It was flavourless and boring. All of my friends had the classic chicken and waffles and were very satisfied. Since their portions were so huge, I had enough to concur - delicious. That's what I should have ordered in the first place.

There are newer reviews for Taste of Belgium - OTR

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I recently traveled to Cincy for work and found this little gem in the Over the Rhine neighborhood. Great Belgian-style food and drink options at a reasonable price. I had the burger (hamburger, bacon, goat cheese, caramelized apple, shallots, and frites) for $14. It was delicious! My group included a few vegetarians and one vegan and they found items that accommodated their restrictions - couscous and vegan frites, e.g. Many beers were consumed with no complaints. Service was great and staff went out of their way to be friendly and accommodating of our large group. (http://authenticwaffle.com/locations/otr/)

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I found this place by chance whilst trying to walk off the jetlag around 830 on Sunday morning.
When I went inside I was told they didn't start serving the food until 9am, but I was welcome to have a coffee.
I sat at the bar, having pretty much choice of any seat in the house. This didn't last and by the time I left (around 1030) the place was very busy with a queue out the door. There are some very interesting Belgian beers on tap and quite an extensive range of bottled beers in the fridges behind the bar.
The coffee was excellent and the staff and clients friendly. The place has a youngish, hipster vibe to it.
For breakfast I tried the goetta (local speciality). This was very tasty.
I went back for lunch on Tuesday before flying home. On this occasion I had the burger with fries followed by a banana & chocolate waffle - all good, but the fries were amazing.
Thanks to Jess for looking after me duing my visits.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

When we first arrived, there was plenty of open seating at the bar, but instead the host took us to the table at the end of the earth, right across from the bathrooms. And I mean RIGHT ACROSS. If we had been using all four chairs, the doors to the bathroom may have swung open into someone seated at the table. Not even joking. So this was not very desirable, but there were only two of us and neither wanted to make a fuss. Nor did we want to wait for another table, as we had a show to catch later that night. Fortunately, we had an extraordinary server, Louisa, who more than made up for our poor table.

Can't vouch for the authenticity of the food, but I can tell you it was DELICIOUS. We started with a beer cheese fondue that was served with pretzel bread. We split an order of the chicken and waffles (so good!) and the brussels sprouts, and the frites. We especially liked dipping the frites in the cheese fondue. YUMMY. Coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate for dessert. Great wine and beer selection (though only a few wines available by the glass) and competent server able to make recommendations. It really was a lovely dinner. And we made light of our potty section seating by waving to people as they entered and exited the loo, and offering them to join us at our table while they were waiting for the WC to free up.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Having spent considerable time traversing Belgium tasting beers and pursuing the best in Moules (mussels) and frits we had high hopes for this slice of Belgium in Cincinnati. Their fresh waffles are legendary at Findlay Market in Cincinnati. We arrived and ordered from an extensive tap list of Belgian beers. Tripple Karmaliete is a favorite. Anyone who has spent any time drinking Belgian biers knows there is a "serving" size mark on the side of the glass, the rest of the space above the line is for lively head Belgian beers are known for. Our glasses arrived half filled precisely and very still at the serving line. At $7 for 20cl this was the first disappointment. Next came the Belgian bar cheese. This was a Cincinnati version of a bowl of warm cheese but it was really moved toward inedible by the addition of Kriek/Lambic bier. This makes no sense as a combination and tasted like what it looked like- a pinkish puddle of goo. Next was the Moules and frits- mussels we have gotten in Belgium (or other restaurants imitating the style) or made for ourselves at home are chock full of celery, onions and wine or bier for steaming and a generous drop of butte to finish the sauce. Tiny slivers of celery and carrots topped a bucket of muscles where a full 1/3 of the shells either didnt open (bad muscle) or were already empty- and there was no commensurate amount of free floating muscle meats in the bottom. Weird. The frits were acceptable but a far cry from the double fried and sweated, crunchy outside and tender inside frits of Belgium. Lastly we ordered a "pumpkin" Belgian waffle knowing it would raise the level of this poor meal. It arrived cold, hard and topped with a medicinal tasting giner whipped cream. We had one bite each. High hopes, yes, execution, poor. We wont be returning.

5  Thank kvf1