“Best Martini/cocktail (like we call in in Europe) place in Cinci” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Japp's

Cuisines: American, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Best Martini/cocktail (like we call in in Europe) place in Cinci”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Here is an other of my best off reviews. If you are into cocktails and especially very goof ones go to Japp's. All their staff are super expert "mixologists" and will male you the best cocktail ever. Please do me (and them) a favor and don' t ask for the standard stuff. Just tell them what you like and let them create. My advice is go early i.e. before 9pm so you get all the attention you deserve, the place gets crowded with kids i.e. 21 year olds later around 11pm. Enjoy, you wont regret it.
PS. They have a live jazz band friday from 6 to 8 it is great too!

Lausanne, Switzerland
“A unique place for after dinner drinks and dance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

This bar and connected dance hall are a unique retro spot in Cincinnati where a crowd of all ages can really have fun and have a lounge style cocktail evening or go next door for some retro dance music. The staff are talented and professional mixologists who can suggest a drink based on the mood and preference of drink you tell them. The decor is beautiful since it has retained the antique furniture from the original wig salon it used to be, like an old apothecary style. It is the new "in" place in over the Rhine district.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Prohibition Style Speakeasy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Walk into Japp's on a random wednesday for a cocktail and you might be surprised by this little public house. Dark-stained wooden columns with ornate light fixtures and a very large bar. If you want it, chances are they can make it. If you would like to relax, do not come here on a weekend past 8 o'clock; people file in for drinks, enjoyment and yes, dancing. Attached to the main barroom of Japp's is a much larger dance hall and a small outdoor patio. I do not believe they serve food. A personal favorite in the city of Cincinnati.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Robert O
Cincinnati, Ohio
“No longer serving coffee beverages... but they still use home-made syrups!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

I've been wanting to check out Japps for a while, and finally made it down with a couple friends to celebrate my barista-friend's visit to Cinci. The experience was lovely... lovely home-made syrups and classic cocktails made with non-chemically liquor. My friends and I were a bit confused because Japps has been advertised as a coffee bar. I guess it's changed its mission. Regardless, we enjoyed our time there and will return with our pre-1960 vinyls on Tuesday and the weekend dance party... and we'll go for coffee beverages somewhere else.

• Visited March 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Alchemy at its very best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

I told our adult daughter that this was one of the most fun experiences I have ever had at a bar/lounge. My wife feels the same way too. Molly Wellman of Japp's has the ability to turn liquid into gold. I have traveled for business in the past and I have seen my share of bars, but nothing quite like Japp's. That might just be a reflection on the types of places I went into, or what was available when I was still working, but going to Japp's was a truly wonderful experience. I have been there when it was quiet (earlier in the evenings) and when it was packed (after 9:00PM on a Friday and Saturday nights). It is hard to put a tag on the atmosphere except to say that it is a "trendy." Japp's caters to a professional crowd, mostly in their 30’s and 40’s, but my daughter took her younger sister and her boyfriend there (they are 26) a few months ago and they both raved about how much fun they had. There is no band (the acoustics are not really good for a large band – might be good for background musicians) and a limited menu is available from a very small kitchen (actually an assembly area) in the back room. Japp's is not a restaurant, but if you go there on an empty stomach, as we did, you can purchase something (quesadillas) that will help absorb the alcohol in the drinks or beers.
I've saved the best for last. The drink offerings at Japp’s are nothing short of amazing. The focus of the last night we were at Japp’s was Blue. I ordered a drink which was made with Bourbon, Maple Syrup, and it had Blueberries floating in it. My wife chose a drink with lemon, Triple-Sec, Blueberries, etc. They both were wonderful. Half the fun of going to Japp’s is trying the unusual and amazing cocktails that are the mainstay here. The other half is the great atmosphere. If you are a senior like I am, you will come out of Japp’s feeling like you are in your 30’s, and if you were, you would definitely be a regular here. If you are in your 30’s, you come out feeling like you can’t wait until your next visit, because you are going to become a regular. We all probably feel a little bit richer for the experience. I do think there must have been a little gold in those drinks?
By the way, the prices at Japp's are very reasonable.

• Visited February 2012