“Fast-food style sushi? Who thinks of these things?!”
Review of Fusian

Fusian
Ranked #384 of 2,013 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Sushi
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Quick, fresh, build-your-own sushi restaurant with a slightly hip, off-beat foodie vibe. The combinations are enless and the prices are decent. My best experiences have been with spicy tuna and grilled eel rolls, but I have not enjoyed their sides (miso, edamame) as much. Not of the same caliber.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This place is so fun if you're a sushi fan. The concept is kind of a Chipotle for sushi, where you are able to make your own roles. I do advise that you look at the menu before hand or go during non-peak hours (read: not lunch) because it can be a little pressure to try to order off the cuff (despite the fact that I eat sushi weekly, I had a complete brain freeze the first time I ordered). Rolls here are large, typically 8 pieces, so one can satisfy a person. Overall, I highly recommend trying this cute little find before it succumbs to the Tower Place curse and closes.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I won't spend much time on the fact that I think the concept of Fusian is ridiculous but I suppose it wasn't going to be forever before someone got the idea of taking the culinary art form of sushi and replicating the Chipotle model. It's unoriginal really.

That said, I'm willing to try anything once. So, on a bright Thursday off I went. The place is nice enough inside, not anything special and not giving any indication that the owners were interested in spending money to make it nice, but clean and plenty of tables for the crowd that was there.

The idea is pretty basic... walk up, create your roll yourself, and someone makes it for you. As long as you know what you want, it's fine. But, just for fun, I took the approach of stating very clearly that I didn't know much about sushi and needed some guidance. I didn't get guidance. What I got, paraphrased, is "we have a lot of stuff... pick what you like and I'm sure you'll like it". No attempt to explain what combinations of ingredients might actually taste good together, no real understanding (as far as I can tell) of what might appeal to a particular pallet, and no clear guidance to help me navigate Fusian-world. I was pretty uninspired as I expected the people making the food to actually be trained on the food and thus be able to offer suggestions.

What I did end up getting was okay and prepared with fresh ingredients. The problem I had was value. My roll had about half as much tuna on it as I get at my favorite local sushi place and yet it was still pretty similarly priced. They were happy to pile on the cheap stuff (vegetables, etc.) but were pretty skimpy with the fish, which was disappointing.

Overall, I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except as perhaps a novelty to do once just to say you went to the local fast food sushi place. Want great sushi? Go to a proper restaurant that prepares sushi using trained staff who know how to put together combinations that will be great.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Fillings included cooked beef and chicken, for those that don't like fish. Me? I love eel. Yum yum yum yum yum. This place was on the ground floor at my hotel and I was there for a week. This is an excellent lunch/early dinner place. It's a great concept, great and friendly service, and a great value. I look forward to going back here.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Fusian is essentially Chipotle with Sushi. You get to customize your sushi wrap so that it has exactly what you want on it. The service has been great everytime I have been there. Also, I love the toppings. My personal favorite is carrots because you don't see that in many sushi rolls. They have sides as well. For families, there is a peanut butter and jelly roll for any children. #sushi4life