“Best Pops orchestra in the US”

Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best Pops orchestra in the US”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Holding forth in the gorgeous old Music Hall, John Russel Morris has maintained the high standards of quality and showmanship people in Cincinnati expect. I have never been disappointed in a show.

Visited June 2014

Evergreen, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Pixar Music & Cincinnati Pops - Whats not to LOVE!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My Daughter took me to see the Cincinnati Pops Perform Pixar Music. It was AMAZINGLY goooood! They had Visuals of the Pixar Movies on the screen behind the Pops which made it even more enjoyable.

They Sounded Great! I left there thinking, I am so glad I got to come and would of hated to miss it. If I lived in Cincy, I would buy a Subscription.

If your in town, try to catch a performance.

Visited April 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Wow!!! What an Independence Day...”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We've not experienced the Cincinnati Pops before, but you can bet we'll be in their audience in the future. Conductor John Morris Russell is excellent. You can see he's having fun as he directs this skilled group of musicians. A full compliment of patriotic music with Adrienne Dandrich adding with vocal punch. It is hard to image that Pops Goes the 4th in Boston was as much fun!!!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Tennswo
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Excellent orchestra... But the conductor!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Both the CSO and the Pops are high quality orchestras with skilled musicians playing in a beautiful and classic setting. I've attended regularly for over 20 years and find it for the most part quite enjoyable. However, the new Pops conductor, John Russell is a showman and clown more concerned with his own cuteness and "brand" ( he is now JMR with a silly, smirking logo) than he is with leading the orchestra. The late Erich Kunzel, while an accomplished musician, also fell into this trap of self aggrandizement, and transformed an evening of music into a three ring circus. I hoped once Mr. Russell took the baton he would be more of a John Williams or Arthur Fiedler than Maestro Kunzel was. But Russell's stage antics, the new "red fence" and all of the other distractions are just that - distractions. The Pops is less formal than the CSO certainly, but the frivolous and showmanship is unbecoming of the orchestra. It is disrespectful of the audience and the musicians as well.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Phil W
Troy
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Avoid”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I gave the CSO 5/5, but I avoid this summer group like a plague. If you can attend one of their free shows, then go for it. The music choices and show choices turn me off completely.

Visited June 2012