“Fun place”

Senate
Ranked #34 of 1,954 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, Bar, International, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Georgia
“Fun place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I arrived for lunch when it opened at 11:30 on Friday and by noon there was a line out the door. Obviously it's a favorite with the local 20's-30's crowd and we were by far the senior citizens. Hotdogs and sandwiches predominate the menu, but they are indeed gourmet. I ordered the cheeseburger, rare for me literally and figuratively, and it was the best I've ever had. My wife enjoyed her spinach and arugula salad and mussels. We shared an order of duck fat fries sprinkled with rosemary and they were perfectly prepared. A fun place that lived up to its reputation.

Union, Kentucky, United States
“Upscale/modern feel in a hot dog joint”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

The look of this place says cool and upscale. Itsa shotgun place, long bar on the right hand wall, and tables down the left hand side, its a tight walk through, but not uncomfortable. The menu ttys to bring an upscale/luxury flair to every day food. The feature items are massive hot dogs with a wide range of unique toppings (Korean had short ribs, etc.,) (Trailer Park had bacon, melted cheese and crumbled up potato chips). The fries are freshly made and dusted with seasoning. We also had lobster mac n cheese. I enjoyed the Korean hot dog and everything else, but checked the bill twice as it seemed expensive when all was said and done.

We were there on a Thursday night around 630/700 and got right in, but it was the last table, so my guess waiting in a line is the norm. Service was very good.

But for all the fanfare and excitement, its not a place I have to get back to. It was interesting, but it feels like they are trying a bit too hard to be everyday and luxury at the same time. Worth going to, and with a group of young professionals could be a fun night.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Everything we expected and more.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

First of all, the fact that we got a table in < 5 minutes on a Friday night made us VERY happy.

Pig tails = fantastic idea, almost like a combination of ribs and wings.

We had the Korean and the Trailer Park hot dogs. Never thought hot dogs would be among my favorite meals in a city. Tasty, and totally filling. The duck fat fries (which appear to be a Cincinnati staple) were a nice touch.

If you are in Cincinnati for a limited time, one of the places you must visit for a meal is Senate.

Nuevo, CA
“The only time an hour wait to be seated for a hot dog was worth the wait”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was traveling with a "Foodie" who suggested we eat here. When I looked at the menu and saw it was mainly hot dogs I was hesitant but he insisted and boy am I glad he did.

Instead of giving you a buzzer or something hey take your cell # and text you about 10 minutes before your table is ready so you can walk around the area.

Once seated it is a little cramped and loud due to the popularity of the joint but not to the point of being a deterrent. The small kitchen is small but open so that you can see what is going on.

From the menu I highly recommend the "my wife's salad" for starters. They have a variety of gourmet hot dogs, and have two veggie substitutions each night. I had one of the hot dogs with the veggie substitute and it was definitely THE BEST veggie or meat hotdog I have ever had. I never thought I would be bragging about a hot dog but Senate is a must.

Visited August 2013
alpinelady
“fun spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Fantastic original cocktails!! Amazing truffle fries! Fun atmosphere.... Must try if you haven't. We will definitely be back.