“Average at best”

Shaan Indian
Ranked #338 of 2,005 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Oakley
Description: Shaan Indian Cuisine is pleased to present a wide selection of Indian haute cuisine made from the finest and freshest ingredients. Our menu offers a welcome change from the ordinary that is not only pleasing to the palate, but a healthful alternative as well, owing largely to the use of a variety of vegetables and leaner meats. shaani Indian Cuisine offers delicious North Indian specialties seasoned according to your tastes-wether mild, moderate or hot, a great variety to which we invite you t enjoy. Frequent visits to Shaan Indian Cuisine and sampling different items on the menu will make you a connoisseur of exotic Indian cuisine, especially the Northern Indian food prepared by the people who know. We hope you enjoy your dining experience at Shaan Indian Cuisine will be an enjoyable one! And if you would like beer or wine it's BYOB - we have glasses and a wine bottle opener.
Reviewed August 24, 2012

First off, we arrived at 11:10am- doors were locked and the place was supposed to open at 11am. Finally someone lets us in and says it will be 20 minutes to food is ready we are late- no apologies or anything. Food was not ready till 11:35am and that was about half the buffet. Food was very average in taste and really a lot of the food tasted the same which is unusual in Indian cuisine, Sauces were way too runny for indian food. Price was decent and they have coupons on their website. Drink refills were few and far between and the buffet food does not get replenished in a timely manner. Not the worst Indian food I have ever eaten, but certainly not memorable. There is better options out there and I personally like the great place across from the Dayton Mall better.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I consider myself pretty well versed on Indian food and the food here was fine. The room was nice enough. The staff pleasant enough until...I supposed they were tired of us and kindly asked us to leave. I thought they must be closing, we had seen many tables come and go, but we were having a girls night out and talked for quite a while. I was always aware that we were not taking up seats for waiting customers. The restaurant never got full. We felt forced to move our party outside and ended up spending another half hour or so in the parking lot. Even when we left the Open sign was still on, so they were not closing, I really don't see why we could not sit, we had two very full dinners with appetizers. For this reason alone I will probably never eat here again.

Here's how we came across this restaurant. I encouraged a friend to try Indian food and she lived on the eastside so we looked up places easy for us to meet. I already have my favorites closer to home, but I am game to try them all and have eaten at 90% of Indian restaurants in Cincinnati. We took a while to order since she had not had Indian, I explained some of the items. She decided to try the Vegetarian Combo platter to get a good sampling of the food. It looked perfect for her! It included a little of almost everything. I ordered a favorite dish nav ratan korma and it was fine. She loved her meal, too. I also ordered some appetizers to give her a taste of those and she would have some of everything. I don't know if she noticed there were two items they never brought her one was raita, which I had ordered for myself as well. So we ended up sharing mine. We were too busy talking to say anything. There was also one other item she did not recieve, I can't remember now. But I ended up spending alot more than ususal for dinner, because in Clifton you can usually find a coupon and I don't feel my friend recieved everything she paid for. You know we did have left overs, but I consider that a given at an Indian restaurant. If your meal is supposed to come with certain items, it should no matter how much other food you order. My recent trip to Jeff Ruby's Precinct this same thing happened.

So overall, it was not a value, it was not exceptional food so not worth the extra expense and I felt like I was nicely kicked out. I will not return.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

As an exiled Brit, I grew up on Indian food, and could happily eat it six nights a week if my waistline would allow. It won't, but I do still try and treat myself once a month, and Shaan is my favorite Indian restaurant in Cincinnati when I do, for a number of reasons. First is the variety, especially on the buffet. While there are a number of reasonable Indian restaurants in the Cincinnati area, they tend to serve very similar food, and present almost identical menus. While Shaan also presents a similar menu, they can also be quite adventurous. They often serve a wonderful goat curry on the weekend buffet, and a delicious, and quite unusual Punjab dish that is unique to Cincinnati and probably the MidWest. The standard Indian dishes are of course available, and done as well as anywhere in the area, but this uniqueness sets Shaan apart for me. Secondly, the service, while casual, is absolutely top notch. The manager, Dorminder, seems to know half of Cincinnati by name, and provides a level of cheerful personal attention I would expect from a much higher priced restaurant. The food is also very reasonably priced, although comparable to other local Indian restaurants, but the BYOB with no corkage makes this a great value if you want to sip on a glass of wine or a chilled beer (and Kroger and Biggs are a very short walk if you forget to bring anything). The decor is modest, but if you are more interested in good food that interior decoration, with great service, and at a modest price, then this is a great little find. .

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Called for directions was rudely told they did not have time and that they will be closing in 20 minutes, mind you it was around 1p.m.,talked to two perrsons with the same result, it felt like they were saying we do not need your business, any way we went there anyways, food at the bar was the terrible looking, cold, unappetizing, place was filthy, dirty tables, we cleaned our own table. We wish them good luck they will need it cause they will be out of business very soon, they need to close it done before health department shuts them down

Reviewed September 23, 2011

We tried this restaurant on a lark because we were nearby. It is a small place with about 30 people eating there on the night we stopped in, which is really quite remarkable. The owner greeted me like a long lost friend and made a point of learning my name when I told him we had just moved in nearby.

We chose the Chicken and Spinach which I really loved and crave to go back for it. We also had a very nice ginger lamb that I will get again as well.