“great stay at this new marriott”

Kingsgate Marriott Conference Center at the University of Cincinnati
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Cincinnati
Alexandria, Virginia
“great stay at this new marriott”
Reviewed August 19, 2007

spent 2 nights at this marriott. location was convenient. room was very clean, great bed, great pillows. bath had great rain shower. room had clock radio with ipod dock.

had breakfast buffet.. it was good but overpriced at $12
there are many great restaurants just down the street on ludlow ave, less than a mile from the hotel. also, the hotel has a free shuttle within a 2 mile radius.

parking was expensive.

overall, very happy with hotel. front desk staff was excellent every time we talked to them.

try to get a corner room. you get almost 2X the square footage, and a fridge.

• Liked — great room, great bed, free wifi
  • Disliked — parking is pricey
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank NavTrav

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2006

Having wanted not to be driving on New Years Eve after indulging in libations , I booked this hotel in advance of New Years by 3 weeks. I live about 25 minutes from this hotel, and took a taxi to and fro my parties destination in the city of Cincinnati. I would not have picked this hotel, but due to the fact that this particular weekend was the infamous Bengals/Steelers game, all rooms according to hotel web sites that I normally would stay( 4 star or higher) were already taken. This was the highest star rating available that night for 3 1/2 stars. I booked this hotel directly through its' web page. I am a(or thought I was) a Marriotts rewards member, but I will tell you later of this. First, you can read the many travels and hotels I have stayed, and feel I am a pretty good source for this sort of information. So, I booked the hotel, and right away got a conformation of 1 room, higher floor, and a guaranteed king bed. As my girlfriend and I prefer a king, but a queen is fine, but since I had a choice, I picked a king. 1 week prior to our arrival, I received an email from this hotel, asking nicely if I had any requests. There were many boxes I could choose from, such as a morning paper, more towels, wake up calls, or even an area to write them back a request that didn't conform to the pre set checked box format. I checked that more towels box, and wrote back in the section, that I need transportation from the hotel to a local sushi club, that was having a high end New Years Eve party. Pressed the magic send button, and got a confirmation that it went through. I thought this was a nice touch from the Marriott. It was nice, but upon arriving, no one outside to valet the car.I was in a tux and didn't want to use the self park. No big deal, I parked it out front, locked it, and checked in, and they later had the car in valet. Upon checking in, they stated there were no king beds only 2 queens. Told them that the conformation stated "guaranteed king", even showed this to her, but to no avail. Not a big deal, but I felt if you guarantee it, and advertise it, one should expect it. I said ok, and was now up to the room. The hotel itself is in the middle of University of Cincinnati campus. Not the nicest neighborhood, but ok if not walking anywhere. I had mapquested directions, and figured I had an idea where it is, as I am from Cincinnati. Got lost twice trying to find this hotel, even had my navigation told me where it was and it was not taking me to this hotel, but got us close. I pulled over, and called the hotel, and stated I needed directions, and they got me there. There is a sign, no bigger than 4 by 10 feet by the hotel telling you"this is a Marriott". Hotel is spotless. Very friendly and nice business type bar. Typical rooms, closet space. No safes or mini bars but, the room and beds were very comfortable. I had answered their email prior to coming that I would like more towels, but no extra towels in room. Asked if my transportation was there as I had responded to their email concierge. Stated here are two cab companies,(handed my a one inch piece of paper with 2 cab #'s on it)that we could call.So...while standing in fron tof the front desk check in ...I used my cell phone and made the call. Front desk never acknowledged any of my requests, or never thought to say that they would at least call us a cab, as they dropped the ball from their solicitation of me in a kind email, but seems their concierge email was fluff. Nothing I had requested was even acknowledged. Got up the next morning, very good nights sleep as beds were comfortable, and bill under door. No big deal. All was correct, but the $25 valet surprised me knowing that this hotel is not to the class or area of the Omni's, Westins downtown. I just felt $25 to valet in a hotel 10 minutes from the city, tucked inside a college campus was stiff, but this was no big deal, nor did I say anything. Check out went fine, but told her to make sure I get Marriott rewards points for stay, and they informed me I wasn't a member. Told her I was, and have been getting emails as a Marriotts reward member for a long time. I don't carry my rewards number with me, so basically, she told me there was nothing they could do. Again...no big deal, but was getting frustrated. I am not one to complain, and if you read most of my reviews, you will fine this true. I am not hard to please, but was dissapointed in the service here. The hotel was nice for a business traveller, and was spotless. Very nice, and would probably stay here again...but would triple check everything before I left.

• Liked — How clean the hotel was
  • Disliked — Service was spotty
  • Tips/Secrets — Book this in confidence, but be aware to check over specifics well
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank brent a
Maryland
Reviewed September 11, 2006

Very convenient to the U Cincinnati medical campus. Typical Marriott ambience including nice bedding. Extensive breakfast buffet that is free for Marriott Rewards members ($10.95 otherwise). Clean, comfy, large room. On-site gym, spa, and guest laundry. Free Internet.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
Montreal
Reviewed October 18, 2005

This hotel has a very clinical feel to it. There is no atmosphere or ambiance, yet the rooms are ok. There is limited cable, the beds are comfy and you get lots of pillows (7 on a double bed). There is no fridge in the room, but basic coffee making facilities (although the milk they provided was off). There is no swimming pool to relax in, but there is a small but functionary excercise room. The breakfast buffet was good, and not too price ($9 inc. coffee and juice) and the hotel bar was ok. This hotel is nothing to write home about, but functional if all you want is a room.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank kysersoze
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 21, 2004

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff was incredibly friendly and the rooms were extremely comfortable and clean. The bedspread was perfect, the curtains were beautiful. I could not have possibly expected any more than I got from this awesome hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Auburn, CA
Reviewed July 3, 2004

This hotel is clean and quiet. It does not, however, have the feel of a typical Marriott's, however. I was left wondering if it was actually a hotel owned by the hospital and operated by Marriotts or a Marriotts property. Services were somewhat limited. It is located within a hospital complex and is isolated. This is not the kind of area where one would feel comfortable taking a walk night or day.

7 Thank bobba