“Reservations staff” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Cincinnati
Columbus, Ohio
“Reservations staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Everyone knows that when a hotel is "sold out" there are undoubtedly available rooms. I called to make a reservation after seeing availability on a third party website. The VERY kind gentleman I spoke with told me the rooms were in fact booked, and there was not a wait list. When I asked him if he could start a wait list, he said he was unable to. He did say, though, that occasionally they had saved extra rooms for people in town for events (such as Reds games).

I called back the next day to see if there had been any cancellations. This time, the lady was not pleasant at all and told me that was very unlikely and the wait list was at capacity with 20 people on it, so I couldn't be added. She actually advised me to look at the Hilton for availability (where was her brand loyalty?).

A third (and last time) I called back (this morning), I was told there were cancellations but they were unable to book any of those rooms yet. The lady I spoke with told me I needed to speak with someone who's name I do not remember (possibly David), but he would not be in until 9AM.

Overall, I just love Starwood Hotels, specifically The Westin. I didn't want to stay at a Hilton, or a Marriott. Unless they were all unaware of what was going on & hotel procedures, I would have appreciated them being straight-forward.

I apologize for my rant, but I had three different stories from three different employees. I wish they had some sort of open room alert!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Courtney H
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Cincinnati, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and sincerely apologize that you experienced challenges with our reservations department. We can assure you, your feedback has been shared with the team so another guest does not have a similar experience such as yours. Stay well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

I rarely write reviews, but in this case I had to. On a college visit with my son earlier this year, we stayed at The Westin and every aspect of our experience was spot on. The staff was friendly and inviting, always near when we needed a question answered and knowledgeable with insightful information. The room was spotless and the absolutely perfect. I recommend this property to anyone visiting the Cincinnati area!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Cincinnati, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your stay at the Westin Cincinnati and the wonderful "5-star" rating. We hope your son has selected Cincinnati as a place to continue his education, which would provide a greater opportunity to welcome you back. Stay well.
Owensboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

From the valet parking to check-out, our experience was exceptional!! My daughter and I came to Cincinnati for the Bruno Mars concert at US Bank Arena. Staff helped us with directions and we walked to the arena! Beautiful fountain square view and comfy beds...the Westin will always be my first choice!!

Stayed June 2014
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Cincinnati, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay at the Westin Cincinnati and the wonderful '5-star' rating. We are delighted that you and your daughter has such a great experience, and we were able to be part of creating the memories. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin when your travel plans bring you back to Cincinnati. Stay well.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

Overall a great stay. Nice location in downtown, across the street from P&G Square and a quick 5 min walk to The Great American Ball Park and the Arena.

The room was nice, great bed, the shower / bath was a little dated. Had a nice view of the city square from the room. The McCormick & Schmick’s Restaurant next door was a great bonus, which has a patio looking over the fountains in the city square.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CNDTravel
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Cincinnati, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent experience at the Westin Cincinnati as your feedback is very important to us. Beginning in November of this year we will begin our corridor & guest room renovations that will include updates to the bath and shower. We are delighted you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Stay well.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Compared to the other Westin and SPG properties, this one is antiquated. The doors are thin (you can hear what's going on outside your room) and the showers are old. The view is nice, if you like looking at P&G square. Otherwise the noise coming from there, and the light of the big screen, will penetrate your room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Aaron A
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Cincinnati, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. We will begin our guest room and corridor renovations in November and hope you will join us to experience our new look and feel. Stay well.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

All in all this place is great - I have to say this is a first class hotel and really great for kids

The good
- clean, comfortable renovated rooms
- 5 blocks from great American ball park and so convenient if you are seeing a ball game which we did twice
- love the in hotel restaurant called ingredients which is a sort of cafeteria with healthy foods for breakfast and lunch...it's not for everyone as if you don't like the serve yourself market style thing this is not your place but with 2 kids under 8 who don't like to wait its a good option

The less than good
- the pool has some heavy chemicals so if you have any allergies you might not love it there - my eyes water just sitting in the indoor pool area
- the elevators are always a 2-5 min wait and it's not normal, either the elevators don't work properly or they are 100 years old but I am leaning towards not working properly as I noticed many times watching as u press up and see and elevator go to 1st floor and expect it to open and it keeps going - something is very wrong so my reco is just be patient

All in all great place

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank jeff_s131722
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Cincinnati, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review about your recent experience at the Westin Cincinnati. Our team is very pleased that you and your kids had such a wonderful time and had the opportunity to enjoy our location and amenities. Our team will certainly look into your feedback regarding the pool, and yes, on weekends, our elevator wait time can increase at times with high occupancies. Please let us know when you will be returning as we would like to welcome you back personally. Stay well.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is my second time staying here and both times have been really good. My wife and I were in town for a concert at Riverbend Music Center and wanted to stay downtown. It was a 15-20 minute cab ride to Riverbend, but worth it. We love having a view of Fountain Square from our room, the front desk people nice, and the rooms were clean. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fickes
Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay at the Westin Cincinnati and we value your loyalty when staying in Cincinnati. Our team genuinely appreciates knowing that they helped to create a memorable stay. Please let us know when you are making your next journey to Cincinnati to allow us to welcome you back personally (jamie.thompson@westin.com). Stay well.