“OK zoo” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
Ranked #2 of 174 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This second oldest zoo in the U.S., considered one of the best in the country, is most renowned for its endangered species and birthing programs, particularly for gorillas and white tigers, and has a wonderful collection of felines and a delightful manatees exhibit.
Michigan
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“OK zoo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

I am a bit surprised at how highly this zoo is rated. This is a good zoo. Pretty, maintained grounds. We recently went to the Columbus Zoo, which we enjoyed much more. Perhaps because it seemed the animals had larger exhibit spaces. I have never seen so many animals behind glass in small rooms as here. Some exhibits left us depressed as to the space the animal had, such as the cats/elephants. We thought the insect house and the nocturnal house were the best parts of the zoo. Disappointed we did not get to see the otters (?) Our nearby zoo - Binder Park zoo's giraffe exhibit, puts this one to shame. Considering it is in the middle of the city... I guess it is not bad.

Only recommend this if you happen to be in the area, would not drive hours to go here.

7 Thank TinaKzooMichigan

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
Lexington, Kentucky
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“New Cheetah Exhibit Rocks!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

It had been a few years since I had visited the Cincinnati zoo. With the new parking and entrance it all looked very different. We used our Louisville Zoo membership to get 50% off admission which was nice. We loved that there were keepers out all over the zoo with animals we could check out and even touch. My One year old loved that he could touch the snakes and Lizards. We only saw about half the zoo because you can only stay so long with a little one. The new cheetah exhibit was so cool. It was so neat to watch the Cheetah's run so fast. We also went in to feed the Lorikeets. This is one of my husband's favorite things to do and I was very impressed with how much nectar they gave you for your money and they had some little sticks with seeds on them that takes them longer to eat so you could enjoy them more than at other zoos we have been to. My son loved watching the penguins. They are the tiny ones that don't mind the heat and they were all swimming and he loved watching them and would have stood there for a really long time if we had let him. We also enjoyed the Children's Zoo area where we got to see a baby wallaby jumping around and a baby aardvark being walked out on a leash. Petting the goats was also a hit. We also really enjoyed the Jungle Trails. It felt like we were in the woods and my son got so excited. There was also a baby monkey I think it was a Gibbon and we had so much fun watching him cling to his mama as she was swinging around the habitat. All in all it's a great zoo with plenty to see. I love that there is plenty of shade on these hot summer days. Well worth a visit.

2 Thank bradsgirl
Kentucky
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good family fun.... at a price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

This is a fun zoo with some great exhibits. The animal exhibits are in general very good. We really loved the penguins, rhinos, elephants, and monkeys. You cannot see all the animals in one day (since the zoo's only open 10-6). If I did it again, I would skip the Wildlife Canyon. The animals look kinda lonely, and most of these animals you can see on the train. A new exhibit that seemed not-yet-known was the Education building. It's indoor and interactive (the best restrooms on the place, too). There is a parakeet and a sloth that are not in cages, which is so cool! We really did have fun, but it was expensive. We spent $70 on 3 tickets, $7 on parking, and $30 on food and drinks (that was just for lunch. We brought snacks and drinks in our bags). At the ticket office, go ahead and buy the Total Experience ticket. This includes admission, a movie, and (unlimited) merry-go-round, tram, and train. I would recommend this not only to save a few bucks, but also to save time standing in lines for tickets. The last thing you want to do when you are at the back of the park, and want to get back to the entrance, is stand in line for tram tickets, then walk to the tram stop. With the Total Experience ticket, you get a wrist band that allows you to hop on the tram, train,etc. without having to get tickets. A 4D movie is worth it if you have kids. My pre-schooler LOVED the Dora& Diego film, and it makes for a great air-conditioned break in the heat of the day. I would also recommend the short train ride in the heat of the day. This zoo is very spread out and hilly, so wear walking shoes! I saw many families using wagons and strollers. However,keep in mind many exhibits require you to leave them behind. Most of the animal feedings, etc. are at the same times, so pick the one you really want. We skipped the giraffe feeding b/c of hte long line, and instead enjoyed watching the elephants getting baths.

4 Thank Luv2TravelWithTheFam
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice zoo. Good variety of animals. Lots...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

Nice zoo. Good variety of animals. Lots of volunteers showing animals to visitors. Nice extras such as feeding giraffes. Great time!

United States
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Excellent Zoo - Try to Plan for an Overnight Program!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

Having just finished our second family overnight program in the past few years, I wanted to take the time to really commend this zoo. It is excellent. Definitely worth a visit for zoo lovers. Highlights include the Insect House, the new Cheetah Run, and the Manatees.

The Manatee overnight is excellent, as one can sleep under the light of the Manatee aquarium and awake anytime to see these gentle giants swimming, eating or playing.

The Nocturnal Habitats Adaptation program was also fantastic; if you get a chance use the guide Tony as he is just so fabulous and full of knowledge.

The entire zoo can be seen in a few hours, there is plenty of shade and it is easy to maneuver.

3 Thank Filipendulous