“Refreshing: Food, Wine, Service and a Personal Touch”

Saffron Mediterranean Kitchen
Ranked #5 of 135 Restaurants in Walla Walla
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My wife and I were on a getaway to WA Wine Country and ate at several restaurants in the Walla Walla and surrounding area and found the superfecta in Saff Med. Wonderfully prepared food, thoughtful wine list with locals as well as some very unique notables, outstanding personal service, and I think for a very fair price. Chris and Island as co-owners and Chris as the chef are masterful with a yin and yang applying their food technique and personal touches to all aspects of the restaurant. As I had business in the area later, I had made reservations for two straight evenings and was willing to endure a 2hr round trip from Richland to dine at this establishment again. Beautiful people, wonderful food, I can't wait to get back in the area to visit again.

There are newer reviews for Saffron Mediterranean Kitchen

Reviewed August 11, 2009

We had dinner there on the 9th and from the look of the place, its obvious popularity, and especially the prices, expected a great meal. We didn't get it. My dinner was pretty tasteless (avoid the noodle clam dish) and my partner's, while better, seemed horribly overpriced. Dessert, highly recommended by the waitress, was awful. I'm really sorry -- we truly wanted to like it.

2  Thank OregonSimey
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Visited for dinner on August 7, 2009 with a party of six. All was going well, but slowly, when the waitress managed to knock over a glass of red wine that splashed two well dressed guests. As we all pitched in to clean up, she said that one of the guests had hit her hand and that had caused the spill. We all saw her knock the glass over. The person she blamed had not heard her comments and when we told him, he asked her to repeat what she had said. When she again blamed him for the spill, he pointed out that his hands were at his side when the accident happened. The manager then jumps in and yells at our friend and says that the spill was his fault. She was nowhere near our table and admitted that she did not see what had happened. The manager then announces that she has cancelled our desert order. When we ask why, she says it is because the waitress was upset.

There was no apology, no effort to make nice, no offer to clean the clothing, just pay up and get out. I have never had an experience like it in any restaurant and I recommend that you avoid this place.

When we returned to the Hotel Marcus Whitman, we ordered dessert and told the waiter about our experience. The hotel offered free desert to make up for our experience at Saffron. Other guests at the hotel overheard our description of what had happened and chimed in with their own experiences of puerile rudeness at Saffron.

8  Thank jayhwk
Reviewed July 1, 2009

My wife and I had dinner there last night. The restaurant was very busy, so you'll want to make sure you have reservations. The innkeeper at the B&B recommended doing a tapas thing with the appetizers. The appetizers were great, and -- in hindsight -- we should have taken his recommendation. My wife ordered grouper. I assumed it would arrive broiled. Instead, it looked like fish-and-ships minus the chips. My steak was tough. Considering the price, I would have expected a really nice cut. The tables are very close together, so every time the next table needed something we had the waitress's backside about a foot from our faces. All in all, it is a nice restaurant, and I would give it another shot.

1  Thank The_Style_Guy
Reviewed June 30, 2009

On several recommendations, we had a reservation on a weeknight. Service was very attentive. Ambiance very nice, although if the restaurant is full, it's a bit noisy. If the weather is nice, the outdoor seating is nice, although it's on a kind of industrial street. It's not in a booming area of town. But, the food is what it's all about. Lots of different influences from the Mediterranean (Moroccan, Turkish, Italian, etc.) on the menu. Home made sangria was excellent. Greens, peas and prosciutto salad was very different (good). My husband had a Moroccan spice rubbed leg of lamb cut into a steak, served with kale. I had guinea hen on farro with fresh green peas and a sprinkling of kale. Fantastic dish. Panna cotta for dessert was exceptional with a light amaretti crust on it. Overall fabulous dinner. Would go back again, no question. Dinner for 2 with 3 glasses of wine total was $106.