“Comfort Inn Operates On Small Town Budget”

Comfort Inn & Suites Walla Walla
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I came to Walla Walla for the 2010 Wine Bloggers Conference and the town setting and locale was very nice for the venue. The conference hotel in town was sold out so we were placed at hotels on the outskirts of town including the Comfort Inn. It cost about $10 each way downtown by taxi so over 3 days this added up.

The staff at the Comfort Inn was very friendly but the management has understaffed the hotel. Simple things like calling the operator can take 10 minutes for someone to pickup because the front desk staff is driving someone to the conference or taking care of other matters in the hotel.

Trying to get any assistance from the hotel staff was greeted with a friendly but unaccomodating reply that they were too busy to assist me. For exampel, I asked the front desk to call me a taxi and they said that they could not call them. They gave me the phone number and asked me to call the taxi because they were understaffed.

As far as accomodations, the rooms were clean and the hotel had a pool. The gym was poor with only two shoddy treadmills and a bicycle. Actually the treadmills were a safety hazzard as they slipped consistently when I tried to jog.

The small bar and lounge was poorly staffed and the service friendly but cumbsy. Think green 21 year old bartenders and alot of "I don't know" answers.

The Internet speeds were very good and Internet was included in the price of the room. The breakfast buffet was nice and accomodating.

Overall, I would avoid this hotel unless you needed to stay here. The owners should be ashamed at the low staffing levels and the training their staff has in basic customer communications. It's a mickey mouse management process.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Brian P

Reviewed June 25, 2010

booked for 3 persons, a king and hideabed, had to go get linen, was delayed getting linen 10 minutes waiting due to an irate customer in lobby, customer claimed that her booking site allowed her cats(as pets) the sign above the desk said pets allowed,(FIX THIS) but the clerk said no pets, the customer was hysterical and crying had no place to go/stay the night as all hotels were booked for college graduation weekend. clerk finally allowd woman to stay at original price, encouraged cats to be in car overnight as weather is nice, (but we know where they stayed)....but....my son is allergic to cats, and i select hotels for this policy deliberately, so if he stayed in a room at this hotel after this woman even after room vaccuumed, he would be miserable as cat dander goes everywhere, and have his eyes swollen shut- so i can comprehend the need for no pet policy,and i support it, and this upset customer should have been handled elsewhere privately.
lovely view of fish ladders/creek in back of hotel- ask for back to get the view, brkfst good

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank tealkitten
Reviewed May 3, 2010

We checked into the Comfort inn on a Friday night. The room was clean and pleasant and staff was helpful at check in . But on Saturday, we came back to the hotel to rest before dinner and around 4:30 p.m. we felt thumping coming up from the floor below. I called the front desk and was advised that the "band" was warming up. They had a performance in their breakfast room. I asked how long this would go and given a rather nebulous answer. I suggested if this was going to go on for a while, they should give me another room. I was told that the hotel was full and so I could not change rooms. We went out to dinner and hoped that they would be playing only for a few hours and would be done when we returned. Unfortunately, it continued until 10:10p.m. We called the front desk at 9:30 and I went down there at 10:00 to try and get someone to come up to the room and hear what a racket we could hear in our room. We were right above the drummer apparently. They refused to do anything about this and we complained to the manager at check out. She said two things. 1. They probably would not put someone in that room when they have the band playing - well that didn't do us much good. 2. She thought about cleaning our room herself - well that tells me she could have switched us to another room but didn't. We could get no satisfaction from the management and would have liked a refund for the second night and told her that. We have also complained to the National chain. They gave us 12,000 points but that's not even the equivalent of a free room. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bendeater
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Stayed for two nights at the Comfort Inn while in Walla Walla. Very clean room and lobby. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful and when we asked to be moved to a room facing away from the road they were more that happy to do so. Breakfast in the morning was basic but good. Will stay again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Stayed one night and it was nice and clean with microwave and fridge, hair dryer, coffee pot and iron. Breakfast had waffles and all other usual items. Hot tub and pool. Clean and friendly; too far away from downtown to be able to walk.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in April 2009 when we went on a trip to Walla Walla for a festival at Whitman College. The place was jammed pack with a dog show going on, a softball tournament, and a teachers' reunion in addition to the festival we were attending. I was surprised how quiet the rooms were despite the softball girls running up and down the halls.

The staff was especially friendly and the gal at the front desk always remembered my name whenever I came down to ask about something. They made an effort to meet every special request that I had--I'm one of those people that has a lot! Next time I will probably ask for a room on the river side of the building but it didn't really matter because I wasn't sitting around in my room watching the sunset any way. Our room had a view of the prison, I think.

I have only two complaints. I'm not a wine drinker and hated the emphasis on drinking especially in a family hotel that was filled with kids. The dinner in the wine bar restaurant was too limited especially since I have food allergies and it wasn't someplace you could take a hungry child. I also can say that I'm not fond of having an extra-firm bed and so I felt a bit sore when I got up in the morning. We usually stay at Holiday Inn Express Hotels and find their beds to be more comfortable.

We enjoyed our stay in Walla Walla and would probably stay here again, especially if they get new beds with more cushioning on top. Perhaps they already have.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We stayed here for a wine tasting trip. The hotel is newish and very clean. Not much of a view it's right off the freeway and about 7 minute drive to downtown Walla Walla. It's not within walking distance to the fine dining, or wineries so plan on driving. Nice indoor heated pool and hot tub were great for relaxing after a hard day's wine drinking. Enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. The staff was very cheerful and friendly. The beds are very comfortable as well. Definitely we will stay on our next trip to Walla Walla.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family