“Good Comfort Inn”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
Portland, Oregon
“Good Comfort Inn”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

The Comfort Inn of Walla Walla is a newer hotel just off the Hwy. The hotel is clean and well kept. The staff were all very pleasant and professional. The only negative would be that the location is a little to far for a walk intoo town.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
denver, co
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised with the cleaniless of this hotel. The staff was very welcoming and even remember my name on my weekend stay. The staff was very knowledgeable about local wineries. They even offered an on-site wine tasting from a local winery on Saturday night. It was a great way to start our evening before going out to dinner. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Ocean Shores
Reviewed January 30, 2009

In January 2009, My wife and I attended a funeral in Walla Walla and decided to stay at the Comfort Inn and Suites. We have traveled a lot and spend many a night in hotels. I am a hotel/resort manager and find myself looking in every nook and corner for cleanliness. My wife and I have NEVER stayed in a cleaner, friendlier or better managed property than this. We had 5 rooms booked for other family members and all were impressed. Thank you for a wonderful stay and we will be back. It's a pleasure to see a hotel properly that is properly managed and obviously cared for by the ownership.
Bob Hugo

• Liked — Cleanliness and very comfortable beds.
  • Disliked — Nothing noted
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Can't say enough about this place and the staff. Beautiful rooms, comfortable beds, lounge with happy hour, adequate breakfast, great location. We stayed during the Holiday Barrel Tasting event in Walla Walla and the place was busy but surprisingly quiet. Two thumbs up!

• Liked — Room size and comfort of the bed.
  • Disliked — Couldn't stay longer.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Renton WA
Reviewed April 16, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel. I've done some business travel, and a fair amount of travel to 5 star resorts. A few years ago, we suffered through a stay at the Marcus Whitman, a real disappointment. So as we planned our next trip to WW, we were looking for something that was at least clean and somewhat newer. Booked this property because of reviews here.

The Property is a year old, and with respect to the room and property itself, it's a legitimate 3 star place. The staff were friendly, helpful, and accomodated a late checkout. The bed was firm, and the room included a mini fridge and a microwave. Coffee shop is next door. Walls a little thin.

It's true that this property is away from downtown and the other main winery areas. But there is one winery within walking distance, and three others within a few blocks. And it's only about a 5 minute drive to downtown, and a 15 minute drive to the airport-area wineries, like Dunham, and 15 minutes to the south-of-downtown wineries, like Rulo and Basel Cellars.

The wine bar is nothing special, but it's what makes the property a 3 star +. They also serve some hot food, mostly bar fare; nachos, chicken wings, skewers, soup, etc. We chose to eat there after dinner at 26brix the night before. (By the way, don't miss 26brix in downtown WW, excellent, but $$$.) Also nice was the patio area outside the bar, which has a gas fire pit which came in handy when the first nice day of spring turned into a chilly evening. Unfortunately, the patio area its surrounded by an imposing iron fence, reminiscent of the state penitentury nearby. This block the sparse view of the river, which is just as well, since the river itself is a corps of engineers marvel; channeled, terraced.

We will return to this property.

• Liked — Clean, relatively inexpensive, quiet
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I picked this hotel specifically because it was listed on tripadvisor as the #1 recommended hotel for Walla Walla. Tripadvisor usually does not steer me wrong, but this time I must disagree.

First of all, this hotel is not in downtown Walla Walla. It is outside of downtown, on the outskirts, and the view out your window will be of a muddy industrial area, the highway, or the Holiday Inn Express next door (which i also would not recommend.)

This place is definitely not a good value. I paid over $150 for the night, which I think is quite high for a "Comfort Inn". Especially since it was about what you'd expect from a Comfort Inn. Really basic/budget type hotel. They do have the "wine bar" but basically what they did was add a counter with stools to the breakfast room. It was really a joke. I can assure you that no one would even consider going to this "wine bar" if they weren't staying at the hotel.

The hotel has a very wine-centric theme. bowls with a bunch of corks from wine bottles in the entryway, vineyard themed prints on the walls. Kinda cute. But seriously, this is no better than any other Comfort Inn, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a Comfort Inn, just with a higher price tag.

The breakfast is even less than i would expect for an included continental breakfast, there was hardly anything to it. They did have a waffle maker there, and i made myself a waffle, but it was the worst waffle i've ever had... i think they must water down the mix or something, because the texture and taste were weird/bland. I mean, how do you screw up a waffle? I was sorely disappointed.

O.k., and then there's another issue we had. The tourist industry in Walla Walla is growing for primarily one reason - the wine. The wine here is great. We love the wine here too. The hotel has the wine theme going on. So we were a little surprised there were not wine glasses in the room, nor a cork screw. No big deal - so I went to the front desk and asked for two wine glasses and a cork screw. I've done this at lots of hotels i've stayed at with no issues at all. However, the front desk staff person informed me that i would have to bring the wine bottle down from my room, and bring it to the wine bar, and the wine bar bartender would have to give me glasses and open the bottle for me. We then went back up to the room, got the bottle, brought it back down to the wine bar, and the bartender (literally) took about 5 minutes to get the cork out. Then charged us a $5 corkage fee. Are you kidding me? A corkage fee to drink wine in my Comfort Inn hotel room? Please.

I will, going forward, frequently have reason to visit and stay in Walla Walla. I am sad to say that I am still looking for a decent place that I can call my home away from home while in town. I would love to find a place that i like that I can come back to time and time again. Next time, I will look for a place in the downtown core and/or perhaps check out the local B&Bs. Stay tuned...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — $5 corkage fee to drink wine in my hotel room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Travellirpa
Oregon
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I stayed here for a horse show in June and again in July of 2007. I'll be staying here from now on when coming to Walla Walla! It's a super value for the money. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and how many Comfort Inns have a wine bar featuring local wines? We wished we'd had time to follow up on the great-sounding wine tasting tips from the friendly bartender.

• Liked — The in-house wine bar featuring local wines
  • Disliked — Not very close proximity to the fairgrounds where our horse show was held
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo