“Good value in Walla Walla” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites Walla Walla

Comfort Inn & Suites Walla Walla
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Walla Walla
Renton WA
“Good value in Walla Walla”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel. I've done some business travel, and a fair amount of travel to 5 star resorts. A few years ago, we suffered through a stay at the Marcus Whitman, a real disappointment. So as we planned our next trip to WW, we were looking for something that was at least clean and somewhat newer. Booked this property because of reviews here.

The Property is a year old, and with respect to the room and property itself, it's a legitimate 3 star place. The staff were friendly, helpful, and accomodated a late checkout. The bed was firm, and the room included a mini fridge and a microwave. Coffee shop is next door. Walls a little thin.

It's true that this property is away from downtown and the other main winery areas. But there is one winery within walking distance, and three others within a few blocks. And it's only about a 5 minute drive to downtown, and a 15 minute drive to the airport-area wineries, like Dunham, and 15 minutes to the south-of-downtown wineries, like Rulo and Basel Cellars.

The wine bar is nothing special, but it's what makes the property a 3 star +. They also serve some hot food, mostly bar fare; nachos, chicken wings, skewers, soup, etc. We chose to eat there after dinner at 26brix the night before. (By the way, don't miss 26brix in downtown WW, excellent, but $$$.) Also nice was the patio area outside the bar, which has a gas fire pit which came in handy when the first nice day of spring turned into a chilly evening. Unfortunately, the patio area its surrounded by an imposing iron fence, reminiscent of the state penitentury nearby. This block the sparse view of the river, which is just as well, since the river itself is a corps of engineers marvel; channeled, terraced.

We will return to this property.

• Liked — Clean, relatively inexpensive, quiet
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

I picked this hotel specifically because it was listed on tripadvisor as the #1 recommended hotel for Walla Walla. Tripadvisor usually does not steer me wrong, but this time I must disagree.

First of all, this hotel is not in downtown Walla Walla. It is outside of downtown, on the outskirts, and the view out your window will be of a muddy industrial area, the highway, or the Holiday Inn Express next door (which i also would not recommend.)

This place is definitely not a good value. I paid over $150 for the night, which I think is quite high for a "Comfort Inn". Especially since it was about what you'd expect from a Comfort Inn. Really basic/budget type hotel. They do have the "wine bar" but basically what they did was add a counter with stools to the breakfast room. It was really a joke. I can assure you that no one would even consider going to this "wine bar" if they weren't staying at the hotel.

The hotel has a very wine-centric theme. bowls with a bunch of corks from wine bottles in the entryway, vineyard themed prints on the walls. Kinda cute. But seriously, this is no better than any other Comfort Inn, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a Comfort Inn, just with a higher price tag.

The breakfast is even less than i would expect for an included continental breakfast, there was hardly anything to it. They did have a waffle maker there, and i made myself a waffle, but it was the worst waffle i've ever had... i think they must water down the mix or something, because the texture and taste were weird/bland. I mean, how do you screw up a waffle? I was sorely disappointed.

O.k., and then there's another issue we had. The tourist industry in Walla Walla is growing for primarily one reason - the wine. The wine here is great. We love the wine here too. The hotel has the wine theme going on. So we were a little surprised there were not wine glasses in the room, nor a cork screw. No big deal - so I went to the front desk and asked for two wine glasses and a cork screw. I've done this at lots of hotels i've stayed at with no issues at all. However, the front desk staff person informed me that i would have to bring the wine bottle down from my room, and bring it to the wine bar, and the wine bar bartender would have to give me glasses and open the bottle for me. We then went back up to the room, got the bottle, brought it back down to the wine bar, and the bartender (literally) took about 5 minutes to get the cork out. Then charged us a $5 corkage fee. Are you kidding me? A corkage fee to drink wine in my Comfort Inn hotel room? Please.

I will, going forward, frequently have reason to visit and stay in Walla Walla. I am sad to say that I am still looking for a decent place that I can call my home away from home while in town. I would love to find a place that i like that I can come back to time and time again. Next time, I will look for a place in the downtown core and/or perhaps check out the local B&Bs. Stay tuned...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — $5 corkage fee to drink wine in my hotel room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Travellirpa
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

I stayed here for a horse show in June and again in July of 2007. I'll be staying here from now on when coming to Walla Walla! It's a super value for the money. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and how many Comfort Inns have a wine bar featuring local wines? We wished we'd had time to follow up on the great-sounding wine tasting tips from the friendly bartender.

• Liked — The in-house wine bar featuring local wines
  • Disliked — Not very close proximity to the fairgrounds where our horse show was held
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stayed here for one night with my teenaged daughter and was very pleasantly surprised. I had intended to stay at the Marcus Whitman downtown for the historic atmosphere, but it was booked. I reserved the Comfort Inn based on Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. It is a chain hotel with something extra. The staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful, the wine theme was charming and the wine bar with back patio and firepit looked delightful. A big bonus for us was the evening food menu. We arrived about 9 pm and had not had dinner after a long day. To our delight, they offered a light supper menu prepared in their small breakfast kitchen until 11pm- we had warm and hearty chicken paninis and a healthy dollop of potato salad - all on china plates with cloth napkins. They also offered chicken skewers, soup and a few other items. We took our dinner to our room and relaxed - couldn't have asked for more at that moment. The rooms, beds and linens were very comfortable and clean; the bathroom counter was granite and spacious; we had a refrigerator and microwave. I noted a small room off of the front desk area that stocks microwave meals for purchase as well as beverages, etc. We didn't have time in the morning to enjoy their breakfast, but it looked good. I saw waffles, hard-boiled eggs, and biscuits and gravy in addition to the usual continental fare. I can happily recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Liked — Friendly staff, comfortable rooms, surprise dinner service.
  • Disliked — Everything was great.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank eyewinker
alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2007

i travel quite often for business and have stayed at many choice hotels, mainly comfort inns. but when i came to walla walla and checked into this one i was really caught off guard when i walked through the front doors.

i was expecting you know the typical lobby, with the regular front desk but everything looked like the complete opposite. the hotel looks like it is going for a winery theme, in the lobby there are huge wine bottles on display as well as various decorations from a lot of what the front desk said were from local wineries, which i thought was really neat how they liked to represent their community. throughout the hotel there are gorgeous paintings of vineyards which really provided a lot of color to the hallways, you normally don't see much decor in the hallways of hotels usually just in the lobby, that i notice anyway.

the rooms were so nice and the beds were amazing, they have to be the best beds i have slept in at a hotel by far!!!!! and i am kind of embarassed to mention this but, i loved the pillows so much i asked if i could by one or two from them and the staff said "no problem!"

okay so the best point of my stay was, this hotel has a bar! with a patio in the back with a fire pit, the patio at night was so gorgeous with the fire and during the day you had and excellent view of the mountains! anyways they serve beer, food and wine. you don't even know how convenient it is to just go downstairs and have a drink or just get a bite to eat with out leaving the building. plus my husband loved it, they had two flat screen tv's going with the monday night football games (a little highlight for the men).

anyways the building was way more than i had anticipated, the staff was amazing from the time i walked through the door to the time i left. and i would absolutely recommend this place.

• Liked — the bar and the view
  • Disliked — wish it was a little bit more within walking distance to the downtown, but they do have a shuttle service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank phillasamoa83
riverside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2007

So impressed. Staff was fantastic and facilities were great. I look forward to my next stay.

Stayed August 2007
CODURLOCK7336
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a total of six weeks while in training for the Department of Corrections. Not only was the staff amazingly proffesional, but wonderfully personable at the same time! My room was cleaned spotless everyday, bed made to look just the way it did when I checked in and I never felt uncomfortable leaving valuables in plain sight. From the housekeeping staff, the front desk staff, the bartenders and even down to the owner (Yes he was there!) I felt at home everday while they tried their very best to meet every request with a smile! You'll love it!

• Liked — The staff was super friendly!
  • Disliked — The pool is indoor an outside one would have a pretty nice view.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business