“Excellent Food”

Bacon and Eggs
Ranked #11 of 135 Restaurants in Walla Walla
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a locavore breakfast and lunch restaurant , specializing in foods made from scratch. We are also serving Stumptown espresso as well as breakfast cocktails, beer on tap and and a wide selection of bubbles .
Spokane Valley, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Fresh and fun! There was a slight wait time to get our food but service was excellent and food was very good!

Visited June 2012

Seattle, WA
“THE RAMOS (JAMES) GIN FIZZ”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Having lived in New Orleans for > 10 years I was delighted to see this on the breakfast menu! It was perfect, and the slice of orange floating on the top was lovely! What a nice treat!

Auburn, Washington
“Graduation weekend”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Loved the atmosphere, the wait for the food was worth it. Staff was very friendly. The hashbrowns are wonderful, great scones and varied menu!

Washington
“Fun atmosphere, but lacked good service and the breakfast was just average.”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Our group of 4 came to Bacon & Eggs during Whitman graduation weekend. The week prior we had to pick between B&E and Maple Counter Cafe (eneded up there), so this weekend we happily came to B&E.

We really enjoyed the cute diner atmosphere. Casual and fun. It used to be a grocery store, and it kept the row of freezer/refrigerator at the end of the building. Although they were busy, we only waited about 20 minutes.

Our server had only been there 3 days. The kitchen was super slow. We ordered biscuit & gravy, the chrizo sausage omellett, bacon & eggs, and sweet biscuit with jam. With side orders of hash brown and sausage. Each item was just average. We had to chase down our server because everyone else was served, and the biscuit & gravy never came. We also had to chase her down to get our bills so we can get going to the graduation.

Our next trip to Walla Walla, picking breakfast again, Maple Counter Cafe will win hands down.

3 Thank Brown_Samantha
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Add a dash of service for a wonderful experience”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Having dined here half a dozen times since my first review, it’s time for an update. This is a restaurant whose food and ambiance are both inviting. However, the service is usually poor. I don’t sense this is from indifference—it’s more from repeated, rookie mistakes from well-meaning staff.

Like almost all independent restaurants, B&E makes the same mistake—it fails to adequately train its staff (wait staff in particular). Independent restaurateurs must think “how hard can it be to take an order?” not realizing that taking the order is the easiest part of serving. This approach leaves a lot to be desired.

To avoid the service issues we’ve come to expect, we opted for takeout last Sunday, yet we still experienced several service failures. Hmmm.

I called the restaurant four times to place my order. No one answered my calls. The outgoing message didn’t bother to state regular business hours so I could know if that was the issue. However, the restaurant was open so I’ll call this the first service failure of that visit. Since no one answered, I left my order via voicemail. No one returned my voicemail. This was the second service failure.

I finally went to the restaurant with a restless one year-old to make my order and stood in line 15-20 minutes to do so. This shouldn’t be required to make a takeout order but I’ll give a pass since some restaurants only accept takeout orders made in person.

When my turn came, I relayed my order and was informed the information on the website was incorrect and that it didn’t accept takeout orders on the weekends. This was after I relied on its website to verify it accepted takeout orders and after having invested significant time and effort to do so. Providing a default response that I should suffer from the restaurant’s mistake was the third service failure.

I explained (read, “pleaded”) I had relied on the takeout information on its website for making breakfast plans this morning, had already invested significant time and effort to do, could not change plans and make my breakfast appointment at this point, and therefore requested they come through given the circumstances. At this point the hostess agreed to do the right thing. Kudos to her.

While the hostess did step up to the plate, it was obvious she was not comfortable with making that decision. As a result, I felt awkward for putting her in that position.

Honoring that request should have been a no-brainer. Staff should have had confidence that mgmt will commend initiatives for making things right. This represents a failure on mgmt’s part to both empower employees and to communicate that expectation. Making me feel like I was putting a staffer’s job on the line for treating a customer appropriately was another service failure. This should have been an opportunity to shine (e.g. “we dropped the ball but we’ll fix it.”)

I won’t get into the other two service failures that visit. Suffice to say they would not have occurred if B&E provided the same level of customer service training as the avg chain restaurant or if it understood the importance of having a convenient way for customers to let mgmt know where it is missing the mark.

Customers shouldn’t need to choose between having the reasonable level of customer service found in the cookie-cutter chains and the unique food of the creative, independent operator. As with most independent establishments, you’ll have to choose here—at least for now.

1 Thank Dining_Caper