“Delightfully surprised”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We had not planned to stay in this town but were recommended this hotel. Expected a standard American small town mid range hotel with some nice rooms. Not at all. This is a great place with style and character. Lovely story about how it got built and the rooms are terrific in both the main hotel and the annexe. Nice bar, very good staff, extremely helpful. Go and stay and enjoy the great wines of the area and one of the best restaurants at the other end of the hotels parking area.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank weemacs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,731)

A TripAdvisor Member
Quesnel, BC Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Most of my interaction with the hotel was with Edie Paden and her assistant Barbara. Edie was consistently efficient and knowledgeable and was a tremendous resource as we planned our daughter’s wedding reception. We live in Canada and planning a wedding at a distance was challenging, but Edie’s expertise and organization made the experience so much easier. She was warm and accommodating and I always felt that she was focused on making our event as enjoyable as possible. Her communications with me were clear and prompt.

I know that the hotel was very busy that week-end, but all of the staff treated us as if we were the only ones in the hotel. Christine was attentive and competent during the reception and handled our last minute requests and questions with courtesy and promptness. The food was excellent and the presentation superb. Many of our guests commented on the quality of the meal and the beauty of the setting in the Renaissance Room.

We are grateful for your conscientious service and attention to detail, and we know that our experience at the Marcus Whitman Hotel was an important component of what was already a joyous and memorable occasion.

Thank you again and congratulations to all of your staff for their friendly, professional service.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 21, 2006

We had high expectations as we had heard that the hotel had been newly remodeled. The lobby is beautiful and nicely decorated. We've had the pleasure of staying the the Davenport Hotel in Spokane and Cave B Lodge in Quincy and for less money had incredible experiences. The front desk person was cold, unfriendly and acted as though it was a bother to help us. We stayed in the new section. The room and bathroom were small. The ammenities fell short of our expectations. There wasn't even a pen in the room and the toiletries were so-so. Our television quit working and was not fixed during our stay. The beds were substandard and the sheets were so scratchy that my son had to sleep on top of the bedspread. I expected double sheeting on the blankets and top quality mattresses for the price. When asked about our stay, my husband was honest with the front desk person. He offered no apologies and chose not to speak to my husband. The cook making the omelettes was very friendly and helpful.

2  Thank Doriedog
Reviewed June 16, 2006

We were really exited about staying at eh Marcus Whitman Hotel in Wall WAlla Washington,(a restored historic hotel)
last week and were terribly disappointed. Of course, the only view we had of the actual historic portion was the lobby, since we were given a room in the new section. This room was ok, but not any better than a Best Western or Comfort Suites. It was certainly not what we had anticipated and surely not worth the price.

We have stayed at the Davenport Hotel in Spokane several times. I guess our experiences there have made our expectations of a historic hotel unreasonably high. However last time we stayed there, the room rate was no higher than the Marcus Whitman and the service was immeasurably better.

Our first disappointment was that there was no door attendant to greet us, no bellman to help with the luggage and no valet parking.

When I went to check in, I had to wait until the one person at the desk finished with three phone calls. Another example of their lack of staff was during breakfast the next morning. The person who was to make the omelets and waffles was also occupied in the kitchen, so it was either wait until she was free or do without.

When I tried to get a bottle of water out a vending machine, it was sold out and did not return my money. I was able to get the $1.00 at the desk. However, I was told, “this happens all the time.” If so, it might be a good idea to put a sign on the machine that it is out of order. When I asked where I could get a bottle of water, I was sent across the street to the Chevron station. It does seem they would have water available for guests.

Another disappointment was the lack of restaurant and room service. We checked in at about 3:00 in the afternoon. After a long drive, we were in need of some refreshment, but would have had to wait for 2 hours for your lounge and restaurant to open. So we walked downtown, but being Monday, nothing was open there either. It was 4:30 before we were able to sit down for some refreshment.

Our experiences that first day made us decide not to stay the second night as we had planned. We would like to visit Walla Walla again , but we will surely not stay at the Marcus Whitman Hotel and we will not come on a Monday.

4  Thank Wenatcheeann
A TripAdvisor Member
Olympia, WA
Reviewed April 6, 2006

I was in town for a conference and unable to get reservations for the Whitman hotel the first night, so ended up staying at the Best Western. As I was excited to try out the renovated historic hotel, I transferred to the Whitman as soon as it was available. I ended up wishing I had stayed at the BW. The standard rooms at the Whitman are on the small side and the beds are so-so. The biggest downside was the noise. I could hear the neighbor's television as if it were in my own room and hall traffic is very loud.

On the upside, the complimentary breakfast is very good and the ladies in the gift shop were extremely helpful in giving restaurant and winery suggestions. The Creek Town Cafe is a must visit!

In my opinion, the Whitman falls short of the "luxury" hotel it claims to be. Save yourself the extra $$ and stay in the more comfortable BW.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Made a last minute reservation for two nights, and got a king size room in the new wing for $107 with the AAA discount. We were told that the old section only has suites (marked down from $200+ to $167 that night), so if you're not wanting to spend that much, you'll likely end up hoofing it over to the new wing.

It's very centrally located, and near good restaurants like Grapefields, which we loved, and Whitehouse Crawford, which is good, but pricey. Several wine tasing rooms nearby in the charming downtown.

Rooms look out over the parking lot in the new wing. Room was smallish, but not unpleasant. Tastefully decorated. There's no mini bar/fridge, but at least there's a coffee pot. We found a pair of pants someone left behind the chair. Large and varied breakfast buffet included in the room rate. Scrambled eggs and bacon were stone cold, but there is an omelette station that would likely be a better choice. Didn't eat dinner there, but it's a lovely room, and the bar was hopping.

Staff is young and pleasant, but they won't win customer service awards. I'll probably try one of the B&B's in town next time.

6  Thank Nora
Reviewed March 6, 2006

For about three months last summer I commuted between Tacoma and Walla Walla on a weekly basis. I stayed at the Whitman based on the recomendation of a local co-worker. The hotel does not disappoint. It is not a 4 star Seattle style hotel, but it is the closest you will get in Walla Walla. Durring my time, I stayed in four different hotels in Walla Walla, and the Whitman is by far the best choice for short stays. I also had the opportunity at a Chamber of Commerce event to see all the different room layouts and conference facilities. I only actually stayed in the "wing" but was totally satisfied. The lack of kitchenettes or a pool makes it less desirable for longer stays. The breakfast buffet is first rate. They make omelettes to order and it is served in their first class dining room with cloth napkins and real silverware, not a lobby with paper napkins and plastic sporks like other places in town. Their bar, the Marc, is a very welcoming little place and is staffed by serious wine enthusiasts. You get one free pour of their house wine with your stay and it is a quite good wine; a very nice way to end a day spent traveling. If you're in town for wine tasting, get their input on the wineries to hit. Durring my last stay, the bartender was moonlighting for his day job at one of the local wineries. I never ate dinner in the restaurant; there are too many other great places in town.

Some reviewers seem to have forgotten that Walla Walla, while it is quickly gaining respect in the winery circuit, is still a very small town in what is essentially the middle of nowhere. You can't expect 4 star ammenities and dining on par with Seattle, New York or Los Angeles. If you've ever spent more than a weekend there, you'll realize how much of a diamond in the rough the Marcus Whitman Hotel really is.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business