“Great Facility!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Walla Walla
“Great Facility!”
Reviewed October 23, 2008

The classic architecture all recently updated is very elegant and enjoyable. The lobby itself is a great place to lounge and read a book. Anyone can see that no expense was spared on the fully updated rooms and lobby done to match the lavish elegance of the original hotel built in the 1920's. I stayed in the main tower room and it was more than I expected for the price, with a great audio and TV system as well as classic tile bathroom with both a shower and a bath. I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Sydney Australia and the room I had at the Marcus Whitman was even better. The service was excellent and the staff very friendly. I especially enjoyed the personal tour I received from the manager, Daniel Leeper. He went above and beyond and explained many historical details about the hotel which was quite enjoyable. I have told all of my friends about the wonderful time I had at the Marcus Whitman Hotel.

• Liked — Proximity to downtown
  • Disliked — The compact parking in the Werst Parking Lot
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed October 7, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised by the Whitman. I had not read too many good reviews on it so had lower expectations. Needless to say I was trhilled upon arrival! The beautiful turn of the century lobby is very inviting. The 'continental' breakfast is anything but! You are seated in the spacious dining room of The Marc Restaurant and are treated to a buffet of wonderful breakfast foods ranging from delicious quiche to perfectly crafted pastries! You must try the star shaped one with almonds on it! The staff was very friendly & helpful when needed. Centrally located to most wineries, The Marcus Whitman is the perfect choice to stay in quaint Walla Walla.

• Liked — Roomy room & bathroom
  • Disliked — Room located by the elevator
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank bambam775
Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed September 2, 2008

With all the hype about this hotel, we found it to be mediocre at best. Our room was very small and it was just my husband and I. Mostly, as soon as you enter the hotel, you are overcome with an over-powering odor of some kind of air freshner that was very intense throughout the building.It was very strong in our room. Gave me a headache. The people were not particularly friendly and we did have an issue withour reservations. Had to print out a cancellation notice from them to prove the change in our plans. Would not recommend staying here as there are many hotels to choose from that don't smell I am sure.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank taslack
Seattle
Reviewed August 28, 2008

As a travel agent, I have a good frame of reference and a solid understanding of what you should get for your money. In sum, the Marcus Whitman overcharges and underdelivers. This is definitely not a luxury hotel. The old part of the hotel is OK, but not worth the price. The newer hotel wing from the 1960's is much lower quality. There is a strange odor throughout and this part of the hotel looks like a Holiday Inn Express. In addition, our bathroom was filthy. Another word of caution - I found three erroneous charges on my credit card a week after I was charged for my room for an additional $500. When I got a hold of the hotel manager, she was unbelievably rude. I also had a bar charge on my final bill, which wasn't mine. At the end of my weekend at the Marcus Whitman, I felt like I was scammed.

If you decide to book, request a room in the old, historic part of the hotel. Also, skip the inedible breakfast and go to Starbucks.

• Disliked — Service. Room. Even the hotel manager was rude. Being overcharged twice for a total of over $500.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WaAgent
gmmwhcc, general manager at Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 10, 2008
We are very remiss that this guest's experience was less than she or we expected and deserved! After we were made aware of this guests opinion approximately 7 days after she checked out, our front desk manager personally called her and reviewed her concerns. It is safe to say there were some misunderstandings and the call was left where we felt everything was resolved to the guest's satisfaction. Then we saw this review and the general manager and front desk manager called the guest and talked to her personally and set a convenient date the next day to review her stay. Much to our surprise and disappointment she was not available for our pre arranged call the day before. Since then we have left several voice mails to discuss with her and our return phone number and she has not returned any of our calls. We dispute some of her comments as we pride ourselves in providing exceptional customer service, as most of our reviews confirm and are really frustrated that this guest will not answer or return our numerous attempts to rectify her concerns.
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We were traveling with out oldest son, scouting out colleges, and had spent the night before in Spokane, but we decided to head back a night early to Portland via Walla Walla to check out one more college and had heard The Marcus Whitman was located within walking distance of the school. Lucky for us they had a vacancy and it was a perfect night! The hotel is beautifully maintained, the rooms were quiet and comfortable, the rates reasonable, the hotel staff was pleasant and professional and the bonus was one of the most amazing breakfasts we have ever had - and it was complimentary!!!! We loved Walla Walla and will absolutely stay at The Marcus Whitman the next time we visit.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank 4TravelersFamily
Seattle
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We've stayed at the Marcus Whitman twice. The first time, a couple of years ago, we had a lovely suite in the old part of the hotel, and really enjoyed our stay. This time, we had a room in the newer part of the hotel, which suffers the ambiance of any convention center hotel. The walls are thin, the TV old, and the smell overwhelmingly of cleaning products. The soap / shampoo / conditioner are in pumps on the wall - which although a much greener option than small bottles and individual soaps - is not what you expect for the rates at the Whitman.
The hotel is ideally located, very short walking distance from downtown, which now hosts 20+ wineries.
Overall, I recommend the Marcus Whitman, with the caveat that if you are looking for a romantic getaway; request a room in the historic part of the hotel and pay a bit more. For a business class hotel in a convention center, it suits fine.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor value for price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Biztravler
mercer island, wa
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Once again, we had a wonderful stay at this great hotel. We checked in with our friends visiting from Argentina, and we were anxious to show them our favorite Washington destination. The gentleman at the desk volunteered that he did not like the rooms we were assigned, so upgraded us and put us in rooms that were closer together- all without us asking! We also enjoyed a great dinner in the lounge, complete with complimentary house red wine. A full, delicious hot breakfast is included, and the beds are the best! Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple