“Wow! We were bowled over by this hotel”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We drove into Walla Walla on a somewhat rainy night, looking for a hotel, and were lucky to see a review on the Marcus Whitman. From the street across from the service station where we filled up, it looked dark and not too promising. Around the other side, at their parking lot, it was much different. They offered us, two elderly ladies traveling alone, a "Manager's Special." When we went to our room, it turned out to be the most beautiful and luxurious two room suite you could imagine. What a surprise! We each had our own beautiful room, complete with TV, which was great because I wanted to watch Downton Abbey, and my sister wanted to go to sleep. On top of that, they offered us the use of a room on another floor where I could heat up some soup for our supper in the microwave. The next morning, a wonderful buffet breakfast was included with the unbelievable price of just $114.00 plus tax.

In California, we would have been fortunate to find a modest room for that price in most cities the size of Walla Walla.

I can't promise that everyone will get a price like that and a suite like that, and maybe we were just lucky to arrive on a night where their rooms were not filled, but it was an experience in a beautiful, historic hotel that we would not have missed, and we plan to try to return, even if the price is more.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor in a gorgeous two-room suite.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,731)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Who would think that such an outstanding hotel would be in Walla walla, WA? I sure didn't. But when I asked a friend who lives there "Where's the best hotel in town that will cater to my needs with my display truck" Without hesitation, he said "The Marcus Whitman"!
I called the day before my arrival to confirm they could provide me with the parking and the 110 power I needed for my truck. I spoke with Ashley and she spoke with the GM & Owners who told her to let me know that they would be happy to figure something out that will work. Boy, did they! Upon my arrival, I was happily greeted at the front desk by Andrea, who said "I'll bet your the gentlemen with the big red truck that needs power & parking" Wow, was I impressed. She contacted Paul, Chief Engineer and he set me up with parking and power......
The hotel is amazing and I love the fact that the owners have restored her to her original beauty and updated her to what I think is 5 star accommodations.
My first evening there I was wandering around the lobby and met Alex, security officer for the hotel who answered all my questions and even took me on a mini tour of the hotel.. Thanks Alex!
Breakfast is also 5 star. Don't think for a minute you'll get those horrible "hocky puck" things other hotels call eggs.. Oh no, you'll get fresh cooked scrabbled eggs, homemade granola, homemade yogurt and more.....ALL with exceptional presentation and flavor.
Evert single employee greeted me with a real sense of concern and kindness. Not the fake "Have a nice day" type you get from chain hotels.
I really felt that they cared, even when I brought some items to their attention that the room needed, they took care of it and even left me a note stating so..Nice!
Bottom line...................If you don't stay at the Marcus Whitman when in Walla walla, Washington, you are missing a wonderful experience..
It really shows that the owners & employees CARE!
THANK YOU MARCUS WHITMAN! I'll be back indeed.

Room Tip: Just ask them....
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

The hotel has the old world charm and comfortable atmosphere. Staffs are very helpful and friendly. We checked in and had a late checkout. They were very accommodating for our needs. The room in the old tower is very comfortable and with big comfortable bed. Big tv on the wall. The shower is divided by glass divider that has large open section for the water to spray on the bathroom floor. Free wifi...very nice. Hotel is centrally locates in town and close to restaurant and pubs. The buffet style breakfast is large with good selection. Overall I'm looking forward to come back.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We absolutely loved the Marcus Whitman Hotel. We flew in and stayed two nights last weekend. Jonathan Grant (Front Desk Manager) was the best. He was terrific with dozens of suggestions for dining and wine tasting. Our room was a beautiful King Suite- with six windows in total. A pretty sitting room, two big tv's and a comfortable bed. We had dinner at The Mark the first night and it was spectacular. The common spaces at the hotel are beautiful and welcoming. Each morning a delicious breakfast was served, and a cart with special goodies was available near the front desk at various times. Every staff member should be complimented- they go out of their way to make you feel special. It snowed lightly during our visit- which was enchanting too. A truly indulgent weekend- we are already planning to return.

Room Tip: I am sure all of the rooms are lovely, but the tower rooms are extra special.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I decided to stay at the Marcus Whitman Hotel as a reward to my self for a long and tiring business trip.
This hotel is certainly one of the best, if not the best in Eastern WA.
The bed and room were very comfortable.
The front desk service was excellent.
A nice end to a business trip
Andrea and Jonathon should be complimented for their excellent service.

Room Tip: The spa room was very satisfying.
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Tonight we celebrated 31 years together and we are staying at the Marcus Whitman (two nights). We had a fabulous dinner at the Marc Restaurant with Valerie taking very good care of us. The meals were wonderfully delicious. Then dessert....too good to imagine. All the people who were working there were wonderful to us. Valerie saw that every single thing was perfect! The hotel staff have been very helpful and the housekeeping staff have seen that our room was clean and comfortable. We HIGHLY recommend staying AND eating at the Marcus Whitman! (Oh, breakfast is included and wonderful!!) THANKS VALERIE!!!!

Room Tip: Deluxe King was wonderful....
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Hands down, one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had from the phone call to set up special arrangements for our room, to the time we checked out. Everyone from the front desk to the restaurant...Top notch! I will be back soon and will recommend to anyone traveling to Walla Walla. Jonathan Grant (Front Office Manager) should be very proud of his team!

Room Tip: Get a suite!