“Mixed Experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“Mixed Experience”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We've stayed at the Marcus Whitman twice. The first time, a couple of years ago, we had a lovely suite in the old part of the hotel, and really enjoyed our stay. This time, we had a room in the newer part of the hotel, which suffers the ambiance of any convention center hotel. The walls are thin, the TV old, and the smell overwhelmingly of cleaning products. The soap / shampoo / conditioner are in pumps on the wall - which although a much greener option than small bottles and individual soaps - is not what you expect for the rates at the Whitman.
The hotel is ideally located, very short walking distance from downtown, which now hosts 20+ wineries.
Overall, I recommend the Marcus Whitman, with the caveat that if you are looking for a romantic getaway; request a room in the historic part of the hotel and pay a bit more. For a business class hotel in a convention center, it suits fine.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor value for price
1 Thank Biztravler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
mercer island, wa
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Once again, we had a wonderful stay at this great hotel. We checked in with our friends visiting from Argentina, and we were anxious to show them our favorite Washington destination. The gentleman at the desk volunteered that he did not like the rooms we were assigned, so upgraded us and put us in rooms that were closer together- all without us asking! We also enjoyed a great dinner in the lounge, complete with complimentary house red wine. A full, delicious hot breakfast is included, and the beds are the best! Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — price
Spokane Wa
Reviewed July 27, 2008

This was our first trip to Walla Walla and also the first time we stayed at the hotel.
Our reservations were made promptly and accurately and we were able to check in about an hour early.
Our room was extremely nice, having recently been completely remodeled and upgraded.
The hotel retains the old style charm and ambience of an older facility with all the modern amenities.
The wonderful complimentary breakfast buffet was a very nice addition and the desserts in the restaurant were "to die for".
My only suggestion would be to add a few more pieces of equipment to the fitness room.
We will stay at the Marcus Whitman again and have already recommended it to others.

Stayed July 2008
hillsborough ca
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Excellent service; friendly desk personnel; immaculate guest room; complementary FULL breakfast.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 26, 2008

To start, this is a wonderful old building that has been restored. The restoration has quite a bit to be desired in my book. We stayed in a tower spa suite in old building. They stuck the tub right in the middle of the living space. It looks like a wart in its location. Sticking out from a wall into main walk area of living space. One of the biggest things that bothered me was when I booked online. I was looking for a tower room, when I tried to book the room, it said unavailable when I clicked on standard room rates, but when I clicked on special event rates it would let me book the room. I had also prior called the main desk and was told that they were totally sold out. So anyway, I booked the room thinking well there is a special event going on. When we arrived on 7-23, I asked if a special event was going, well no I was told. When I asked the front desk mgr, she said that is just the way it is when booking. It is the only way we make money. Well suffice it to say I feel like it is a bit deceptive on their part to do this. Is it just me?? To be fair, I would probably give them a 3 out of 5 on the rating scale. Probably would not stay there again as 299.00/nt is steep for this mediocre room. Somehow I expect more when paying this price.
However, the restaurant was terrific. Great food and wine and a wonderful wait staff.
Breakfast comes with the room and it is good as well. We'd come back for the food in a minute!

Stayed July 2008
AGMMWHCC, Assistant General Manager at Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 4, 2008
We are glad you enjoyed the location. I am sorry that you didn't find the value you were expecting in your room. It seems that the only real complaint here is about the location of our spa within the Spa Suite. We have received many compliments on our Spa Suites, never the less We only have 3 spa suites. So you won't have to worry about the location of the tubs in our standard rooms. The issue with the rate not being available online was apearently a programming glitch. We appologize for the confusion. We are glad that you enjoyed our award winnig Restaurant.

We believe that Your 2 rating is not in line with with issues you discribe and should be much higher.
Seattle
Reviewed July 24, 2008

II go to Walla Walla quite often to see a relative staying in the Odd Fellows Home. I have stayed in quite a few name brand hotels in Walla Walla and left shaking my head in disgust. At one point I came into Walla Walla after making reservations on line and checked in to an awful, dirty loud hotel. It was late and I had to find a new hotel for my family quick. I called the Whitman and told them about the bind that I was in. The Whitman front desk quickly set my family up with 2 of their beautiful rooms. I can't express how thankful I was that the Whitman Front Desk had helped me out when I was in a tough bind.
Since that time I have stayed at the Whitman another 3 times and found the hotel to be VERY CLEAN, (no nasty smells) and I feel very secure. The staff is WONDERFUL! They will help you out with just about anything. The restaurant food is great and the morning breakfast can't be beat. I am treated so well when I'm at the Whitman I hate leaving Walla Walla. The Whitman Hotel will change your mind about Walla Walla and you can actually enjoy the downtown (which is in walking distance from the hotel).
Take my advice when checking into a hotel in Walla Walla do it right the first time and go to the Whitman and enjoy the hotel and city.

• Liked — Clean, Comfort, Friendly Staff, Food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Federal Way, WA
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We met our good friends at this hotel for a couple of days of wine tasting and enjoying each others company. The hotel was a great place to stay. The rooms were clean, neat, and the beds were very comfortable! There was a fridge, internet access, and a wall mounted flat screen tv with lots of channels. We enjoyed the free breakfast each morning as well. The hotel is within easy walking distance to good restaurants. After each day we always came back to enjoy drinks in the Vineyard Lounge to share the memories of the day. Thanks for Joel and Sarah! We even hired the limo company that works out of the hotel for a full day of wine tasting. They had it all! Easy to get to and a great stay. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends