“Great hotel!”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We just spent two delightful days in this hotel. It began with a very friendly greeting by the bellman and front desk. Our first night we ate in the hotel restaurant, The Marc. The meal was excellent and the waiter we had was very knowledgable. He also gave us some good tips on which wineries to visit for our second day.
After exploring Wala Wala and the surrounding wineries, it was nice to come back to the comfort of this hotel. I can't say enough about the friendliness of the staff- from housekeeping, to the restaurant staff and front desk. It's obvious that the employees like to work there and have great pride in the hotel.
I would definitely stay at the Marcus Whitman again.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a similar experience as many others have that is not like most hotels that consider themselves high class. Normally the true 5 star hotels who get the prices they charge for their rooms skimp nowhere,they want to have their guests receive the best possible experience they can provide. Upon walking in you feel like your smack dab in the middle of a grand southern ballroom- its beautiful... it all goes down hill from there. We were given an early check in but upon arrival we asked for an upgrade, that we were willing to pay for, to a tower room- any tower room, even a suite or anything, Devon told us this was not available (I wouldnt have known there were some if I wouldnt have looked on line and others saying the hotel wasnt very busy) I just had this feeling she didnt want to make any efforts to find us a different room, not even trying to find us one that was NOT RIGHT BEHIND THE ELEVATOR!!! Not sure why, just very adamant there was nothing. If you have the unfortunate experience of having to stay in the "West Wing" just be ready to basically be leaving the grand ballroom and walking through subway style breezeways off to your Motel 6. Now when we got into our room after taking the 1 elevator from the 1960's that services the entire west wing--- all I have to say is that the La Quinta we stayed in the night before was nicer and bigger. It was fine, nothing really that bad but nothing at all special from a high class hotel. The bathroom was a total joke though. It was teeny tiny and looked like your average motel six bathroom, with leaky faucets and all. Other then the dark "oaklike"furnishings which helps class the room up a bit nothing was special. Even the TV wasnt very big for how and where its placed on the wall, far from the bed. The only good thing about the room was that the air conditioning went down to 60 degrees! I guess I was mainly disappointed because we pretty much came to this area to stay at the hotel- many times the hotel is why we go someplace- I guess if you were coming here anyway then this place would be OK. It just is not a destination hotel and do not stay in the "West Wing".

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
AGMMWHCC, Manager at Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. To hear that one of our staff members didn't seem to show any effort to accommodate your room request, is disheartening and not what the Marcus Whitman strives for. Our culture and commitment is to provide exceptional guest experiences for every guest. And though the upgraded rooms you requested we're sold out during your visit, we apologize the room you stayed in was not to your standards. We thank you for providing such great detail in your review, I will pass this information onto our management team. This is one of our busiest seasons of the year and we are sold out many dates, I apologize that we did not have the availability you desired. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret we did not meet your expectations. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

If you would like to discuss your stay further or if I can help plan a future trip to Walla Walla, please call my direct office line at 509.524.5105

Reviewed September 12, 2013

The first thing to know about this hotel is that it has an "older" section located in the original building above the lobby and a "newer" section connected to the older section via a conference center. I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times, but always in the "new" section, so I cannot comment on the rooms in the original building. The "new section" was probably built in the 1990's and is in serious need of a remodle. It has a standard "motel" feel. Nothing special at all. Walls are thin. You can hear people above you, and on either side. You can hear the person in the next room using the bath room. Not the best way to wake up in the morning. Also, if you stay in the "new" section you will have a view of the parking lot.

So, on the plus side, staff is pleasant. Location with respect to restaurants and shopping is great. The lobby is beautiful. If you are staying here for an event in the conference center, you will be very close by. The hotel does offer breakfast in the morning. It is average, but it is something.

On the minus side, average room, thin walls, high price. I would not say "don't stay here", just know what you are getting, and don't expect too much.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest, thank you for your review regarding your experience at the Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center. Please accept our apologies that we were not able to live up to your expectation. Being described as “Average” is not what our philosophy is all about. Our goal is for “Exceptional Guest experiences for Every Guest”, and we fell short in your case. We review all comments with our entire management staff and will certainly review your comments and take them into consideration, making changes if possible.
We certainly strive to ensure full satisfaction and great experiences for our guests. Again, we regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I made reservations at the end of July for a trip the 1st weekend in September. I booked through Travelocity which was offering a 10% discount. My first point, which does not reflect at all on the hotel is that I ended up paying more through Travelocity than I would've been charged through the hotel so DON'T make that mistake. The reason I know this is that the hotel left me a bill in the morning and it was about $75 dollars less than I had paid. I called the front desk and told them I had pre-paid through Travelocity. I was informed by the staff that Travelocity is only a booking agent and that I couldn't have paid through them. This was only an annoyance and was cleared up but deserves mentioning because I feel it reflects on the knowledge and/or training of personnel at the desk. I was discouraged from eating at the nearby Whitehouse Crawford from a staff member who had never eaten there, "I just can't recommend it. I have been hearing about 50/50", and smacked a little of restaurant wars between the hotel restaurant The Marc and the nearby restaurant.

We stayed in the new wing facing the parking lot. On the first night we slept with the window open so did not utilize the air conditioning. The second night was incredibly hot so we used the air-con and it was so loud we couldn't sleep. Even my travel companion who is a solid sleeper couldn't sleep through the noise. We left the hotel grumpy and in a daze.

On the plus side, the complimentary breakfast is good, the amenities are fine and it is still probably the best place to stay in Walla Walla. We had happy hour in the lounge both nights and had great wine, beer and snacks.

So, it's fine. And it may be better once the weather changes and no air conditioning is necessary.

Room Tip: Check out the air conditioner before you settle down to sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Feedback from our valued guests is very important to us. That is where we learn about ways to make your experience more exceptional! I am sorry that your original room assignment was not to your liking, the location near the elevator and Ice machine was not optimal, Our Front Office Manager Jonathan fixed the issue ASAP. Your Experience with our complimentary Hot & Healthy Breakfast’s variety (Or lack of) has been a discussion in our Food and Beverage Meetings. We are trying to add some daily changes to our menu so guests who stay more than a couple days will be more satisfied with the menu choices. I also apologize for your table assignment at dinner, if a more desirable table was available we should have seated you there. I am glad that “K” enjoyed the Lamb dish, we have some wonderful menu items available. Leisure guests that come to Walla Walla for the Wine, Food and great times have found a home here at the Marcus Whitman Hotel and I hope you will return in the future and give us a follow up opportunity to impress you.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We are wine lovers from the east coast and travel frequently to California, Oregon, and Washington in search of boutique wines we can't get at home. After trying several widely distributed Walla Walla wines we knew we had to go and experience the area for ourselves. Based on reviews here and our research, we chose the Marcus Whitman as our destination lodging.

After a 6 hour plane ride and 5 1/2 hours in the car from SeaTac, we finally pulled into Walla Walla. The Marcus Whitman was just what we expected from the photos; old world charm in a great downtown location. Check in was fast and easy although we were a bit surprised that there is no bellman service for help with luggage. Tired and hungry, we were anxious to check out our room.

Our first disappointment came when we discovered our Tower King Executive room was located directly across from the elevator and next to a very loud ice machine. When we opened the curtain we discovered our view- dead center to the gas station across the street. Since we had booked 7 months in advance, and were staying for 4 nights, I went back to the desk to see if anything nicer was available. Jonathan had come on duty and quickly reassigned us to a much quieter room with a view of downtown. The question becomes why would the hotel first assign us a much less desirable room given the advance booking, long distance travel, and availability of better choices? None-the-less, the situation was fixed but caused some immediate stress after a long day of travel.

Our room was nicely appointed with a large functional bathroom and shower. As others have noted, the a/c is very loud and kicked on and off many times during the night. We also found the bed to be a bit hard for our personal preference.

Our second disappointment was with the onsite Marc Restaurant. The included breakfast buffet was very popular, however, it offered the exact same items every day. After 4 days, having only one entree option (eggs & cheese) got a bit old. We also had a less than stellar dinner experience despite again having made a reservation weeks in advance. I had requested a quiet table and we were offered a table right at the entrance to the room or next to the kitchen. We politely declined both and offered to wait for a nicer table. After several minutes we were shown to a booth- again directly next to the entrance to the kitchen. This was despite other much nicer tables that had opened up. On the positive, K stated her lamb dish was one of the best she ever had.

Now to our grape tour. Walla Walla vintners seem to be doing everything right. Unlike a recent return trip to Willamette Valley in Oregon, the wineries in Walla Walla seem to really want to share their experience with you. Tasting fees everywhere were either $5 or free and all were refunded with any purchase. A stark contrast to $25 average in Oregon with no refunds. We sampled all the areas and discovered some great wines at good prices. Amongst our favorites were Mark Ryan, Kerloo, Gramercy Celllars, Syzygy, Va Piano, and Sleight of Hand. Our shipper box filled up quickly and we look forward to enjoying these wines in the future.

The Walla Walla downtown is very convenient and we walked to many activities. Worth the drive, however, was the Marcus Whitman Mission where we learned of his family's demise and the destruction of the Cayuse Indians by the settlers.

All-in-all, we had a great time in Walla Walla and at the Marcus Whitman. Better attention to room assignments and improvements at the restaurant would have made a great stay even better, but neither would prevent us from returning for more of that great wine!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from the ice machines.
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Johnathan and Samatha at check in were outstanding!! My reservation was booked incorrectly by our travel agent. I was here on work and live over five hours away. I drove up this morning, worked and after realizing I did not have a reservation, thought I would have to turn around and drive home. Johnathan saved me. He made room for me and accomadated me with ease and a smile. There was never a doubt on his face that he wouldn't help me through the mess. I would have fallen asleep trying to drive back tonight. Big kudos to Johnathan, Samantha and the Marcus Whitman Hotel!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

All the staff are just wonderful, enthusiastic, & helpful!
Everything is clean & polished. The beds & bedding are comfortable. In room amenities are very nice. Breakfast has a good selection. Restaurant is really good.
Drawbacks: no pool. I'm being picky, but all decorative flowers & plants are fake. Tacky. Room, not the quietest.
But the wonderful staff make up for it all, even the over pricing of the rooms.
Walla Walla & it's wine country are a really, really wonderful place to visit, and this hotel does have a fantastic location, with plenty of tour options.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo