“A lovely place to stay!”

Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband, two children, and I decided we would take a trip to Walla Walla for Easter this year (a welcome change of pace from our regular holiday routine). We were impressed by the wonderful staff at the Marcus Whitman. Therese at the front desk checked us into our room in a most friendly and efficient way. We had a spacious suite in the tower with a nice view of town. Once we were in our room, the front desk staff called to remind us that the tasting rooms would be closed on Sunday for the Easter holiday. Silas in the Vineyard Lounge absolutely spoiled us rotten. He ensured all of our needs were met, and my expectations were exceeded! We had reservations for Easter Brunch the next morning; everything was phenomenal. I often worry about traveling with my children, but the staff at the Marcus Whitman were so accommodating - from the room arrangements to meals with the children, they ensured we were comfortable and had an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,731)

Reviewed April 6, 2013

After two nights in a Tower Suite we were pleased with the accommodations, service and food. Everyone try's their best to be attentive and helpful. The room was spacious and clean, but far from elegant as expected in the nicest room on property. The linens were thin, the bed a bit lumpy and the AC booming in noise. It is curious to me that they advertise "Tower" suites, and we had 3 of them reserved, yet none were above the forth floor in what appeared to be a 12 story building. Our Suite over looked the expansive white roof of the conference center.
The Marc restaurant was simply fantastic, covered in detail a separate review, we had 6 people at the Chefs Table and it was an superb meal and experience. The breakfast buffet was very good and an excellent value as it was included in the room price.
Service is very good, never wanting. But a black eye for our Airport service. We had arranged pick for our 6 guests several weeks in advance and when we arrived they had a small four (tightly packed) passenger SUV and a very small four (sardines packed) passenger Prius....but they also had 2 additional guests. It really was not well planned or accomadated. Additionally, our return trip to the airport was not scheduled as requested. They quickly solved that with a local taxi service, but all in all a poor showing for transportation.
The Marcus Whitman is a lovely property with the public areas very attractive and interesting, showing the history of this building well. We recommend a stay there, but there are areas to improve in. In any event, we strongly recommend a dinner at The Marc.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cadby
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Marcus Whitman was known for bringing so much to Eastern Washington and Oregon; medicine, education, and of course religion. I think those offering were plenty and he could of left out the hotel business. Being the tallest building, in a town the size of a box of Kellogg's cereal, should point to also being the grandest building, sadly it does not. Size doesn't win. The lobby is "pretty" and "historic" but looks like a doll house that needs some attention.
We flew into Walla Walla and were picked up from the airport by a hotel employee and whisked to the hotel in a slightly "smaller" vehicle that seemed like one owned by a local soccer mom. Upon our arrival check-in was standard and lifeless. Upon entry to the SIXTH floor "suite" my questioning feeling went from drab to "oh well."
The room was by all means a "suite" in that it had two separate rooms and and two TVs, but the one and only bathroom had a door that could only be opened and shut when the bedroom door was closed completely. This was very odd and very difficult to operate. The room was stuffy and may not of been used in months. I tried to open a window but the Indiana Jones cobwebs, weaved like lace around the hook, scared me too much.
In the course of three nights, which I wished had only been two, one remote was lost to a possible maid and the other TV remote stopped working. When asked to replace the missing one the bitter employee that brought it to us acted as if we had some remote fetish and must have stolen it.
Now as for transportation, remember we flew into Walla Walla. We had asked for a pick-up from the airport and they came and fetched us so I knew they had transportation. On our second day we needed to get to a class about a mile from the hotel. I asked the front desk about transportation to our class, they said no. I asked for a cab, which they called, and it took over a half an hour to arrive. I found out cabs don't live inside the town but outside...hummm? All the businesses and restaurants are downtown...right? Anyway, after telling the desk we were going to be late, I was given the "oh well" look. The cab did finally arrive, not to have a cab driver but a friend of the cab driver driving it. A hairdresser he informed us. He was helping out and got us lost and we had to call to figure out where the hell we were. Once arriving at our destination I could see the Marcus Whitman in the distance, with it's powerful seven floors and I felt it was laughing at me. Especially since it was my birthday and I am not a religious person.
The restaurant and bar at the Marcus was oddly opened and closed throughout the day with an eye burning smell of onions (the local treasure, and side note my traveling companion is allergic to onions so it made eating in the fair town a joy) and several wineries were parked in the lobby for tastings. One young lady at a hotel tasting room was the nicest person in all of Walla Walla. I sadly don't remember her name, probably because of how many wine pours she gave us.
The town of Walla Walla is like Disneyland without the rides, late hours, beauty, or fun. It has nice people that all want to know where you are from and good food for the most part. But it also closes up at 9pm as if to say, "You drank our wine , now shut up and go to bed."
Beautiful homes are placed like good chocolates amongst bad one in a postcard sized VERY square town. We walked the same 2 street about 7 times in three days and I felt as if we were trapped in a pastel colored Groundhog's Day. The streets are so wide for all 6 cars that use them and the side walks could hold another commuter lane with their girth. The Macy's, at least it said it was a Macy's, reminded me of a room two little girls created to play "store" in. It had each department but only 3-4 choices of merchandise inside it. You could hang 3 garments between each pastel colored choice. (Granted it was Easter weekend)
As for pricing on the Marcus Whitman hotel it is way too high. It basically is a Comfort Inn without a pool or the comfort. The workout room was fine and the location was fine but it had no warmth, no welcome, and no pizazz. Maybe this is what Marcus would of wanted, a somewhat clean, dark brown, brick-covered monolith with his initials swirled on it's side (in a very flamboyant style may I add) and a mystery round window at the top of the building that lights up at night. Could he be buried there? Is he left forever looking out over his town and taking a large yawn? The mystery of the Marcus Whitman continues...until the next wine tasting.

Room Tip: Higher floors (remember it tops out at 7) mean a better view of course, but it's a toss up of su...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Beentheredonethat47
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We recently visited the Marcus Whitman for a four night stay and our experience was very enjoyable. It's a lovely old hotel that has been restored yet has retained much of its earlier character and charm. The location is perfect for walking to the best restaurants and local winery tasting rooms.

Our Luxury Tower Suite location had been pre-assigned based on my earlier request and check in was both welcoming and efficient. Our suite was a corner room which afforded an extra window in the living room allowing additional light into the area. The very generous sized bedroom adjoined the bathroom which was spacious with a separate tub and large tile shower. We found all areas of the suite to be very clean. Amenities were of good quality.

The hot buffet breakfast which is included in the room rate, was very well done with a variety of offerings. The service in the restaurant and lounge was friendly and prompt on all occasions.

A highlight of our Walla Walla dining experiences was the Chef's Table offering in the hotel restaurant, The Marc. Chef Antonio consulted with us before our arrival to determine the direction he would pursue when creating our personal menu. The result was outstanding! We were seated in the kitchen area where we could watch the activity first hand plus had an opportunity to talk personally with the chef. It was an occasion we won't forget.

Overall, service from all staff was very good. Of particular note was my interaction with Jonathan, Front Office Manager, in advance of our stay. His attention to the detail of my request was thorough and resulted in a very pleasant stay. We would certainly return to the Marcus Whitman on our next trip to Walla Walla.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel O
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a grand hotel, but the people are down home! Thoroughly enjoyed myself and the accommodations. The room was quite lovely. And the restaurant is wonderful with an amazing and attentive staff! MEGAN was almost always my server when I dined, and she is wonderful. I observed her as she served an elderly gentleman, and her demeanor and patience was admirable for some who appears to be we young as she. Megan should be recognized four her outstanding service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2013

the Marcus Whitman is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are spacious, the lobby is a great place to gather, the staff are friendly and the free breakfast is delicious. The hotel is centrally located and within walking distance of tons of great shops, restaurants, and bars. My room was kind of loud, but overall I would recommend this hotel and will stay here when I go back to Walla Walla.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our stay was lovely! The room had every comfort, of course, but our stay was made truly memorable by the incredible staff. Therese at the front desk was so helpful and hospitable and put us in contact with the amazing Chef Erik to discuss our vegan needs (we've had trouble with other restaurants in the area so we wanted to check with staff ahead of time). He listened to our request and assured us that he was happy to accommodate us. When we arrived at the restaurant we were served by a wonderful young woman named Katie who made sure we were taken care of. Chef Erik surpassed our expectations to say the least! We had a delicious and artfully prepared vegan meal and every staff member was cheerful and kind. I would highly recommend the Marcus Whitman Hotel to anyone visiting the area (including vegetarians, vegans, and raw vegans) and anyone who lives in the area(especially with specific dietary needs) should certainly visit their restaurant for a beautiful meal!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family