Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel during the holiday season every year for the past 6 years and I will continue to keep this tradition as long as I am visiting Walla Walla.
We usually have a large groop staying at the hotel, but this year it was just the two of us. We checked in later than expected but Jonathon the manager was more than accomidating! He upgraded our room and gave us a discount for being such loyal guests. Jonathon gave us the option of staying in a junior suite or in the tower, we always stay in the west wing but I have always wanted to stay in the tower, and I will be requesting it next time! The room was beautiful and the bed was so comfortable that it was hard to make it to their fantastic breakfast on time!
This is THE place to stay if you are ever in Walla Walla! The staff is wonderful, the hotel is beautiful, the food is fantastic, and the rooms are always clean, comfy and quiet.

Room Tip: Higher units are quieter and have a better view of course. Stay in the tower if you can and ask for...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,731)

Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Marcus Whitman Hotel is always our first choice when we are in Walla Walla for wine tasting. The 19th century lobby decor takes us back to an elegant time in the city's history. The rooms in the adjoining building are clean and comfortable with plenty of room to store those cases of wine. The hotel is within walking distance of Saffron and Whitehouse Crawford - two of the city's best restaurants. The downtown area of unique shops and more tasting rooms is also within walking distance. Take time to explore. The breakfasts (included) at the Whitman are definitely a highlight. The high quality and variety of the hot and cold buffet never disappoint. The front desk staff and wait staff in the dining room are all helpful, friendly and efficient. It is always a pleasure to stay here!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Overall, enjoyed the Marcus Whitman and Walla Walla. It is THE place to stay in Walla Walla. Walla Walla was lots of fun. Hotel itself reminded me of the Davenport hotel, if you are familiar with that property in Spokane. We will be back.

Positives:
• Jonathon at the front desk was VERY helpful. Such a nice guy. We really appreciated his service and recommendations. Every time he saw us he greeted us by name throughout our visit and checked in us a lot. Really loved him. Big props.
• Great location. Right downtown and in walking distance of many attractions.
• Beautiful lobby and historic feel. Really terrific job with the renovation.
• Enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Great value.
• Internet was fast and free – just the way it should be! Same with parking
• Enjoyed the vineyard restaurant. Great menu. Try the mushroom dish - wow. Also yummy wines!!!

Downsides:
• Our particular room was small.
• Bathroom. We also learned that some (maybe all?) dog friendly rooms are ADA. I normally don’t mind but in this case the bathroom had no counter space and an awkward shower. No tub.
• Some street noise.
• Wall decorations were sparse in the room, and windows overlooked a gas station. Not the feel we were going for.

Advice:
Ask for a room higher up. Avoid the annex or West Wing.. My partner said it reminded him of a VA hospital or a nursing home. Did have a very industrial feel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up. Avoid the annex or West Wing.. My partner said it reminded him of a VA hos...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

If you're going to Walla Walla, staying at the Whitman Hotel is a real treat. Besides being beautiful and in a great location, the staff and food are top notch. A group of friends met there for a surprise birthday weekend and they bent over backwards to help us coordinate, decorate and celebrate. They were very gracious and accommodating. The breakfast buffet is amazing. You're really missing out if you don't make the Whitman Hotel part of your Walla Walla weekend.

Room Tip: Ask Jonathan. He's the best. He'll take great care of you.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My travels have taken me to a great many fine hotels, and I can say without hesitation that the Marcus Whitman is among the best I've ever stayed in. From the beautifully appointed rooms to the exquisite food, these guys do it right. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially Jonathan, the front desk manager, who was extremely helpful and welcoming. This is an absolute gem of a hotel, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: If you can, try to upgrade to a room in the tower.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I started planning my wifes 50th birthday celebration 11 months in advance. The first person I spoke with at the Marcus Whitman was front office manager Jonathon Grant and he was so accomodating in helping me with reservations and allowing 3 other couples check into OUR room a couple hours early to help decorate and surprise my wife. It was an absolute surprise and success. EVERYONE at the hotel was so helpful and courteous. The accomodations were spectacular. The restaurant & food were outstanding !! For us this is THE only place to stay while in Walla Walla. We wont stay anywhere else when we return. Thankyou to all at Marcus Whitman for sharing my wifes special day and making it one she wont forget !

Room Tip: there are no bad rooms !
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have stayed at several places in my business travels and Marcus Whitman ranks right there at the top in regards to their customer service and overall experience. I have not met one person yet who has not made sure that my stay is comfortable. Jonathan at the Front Desk is professional and is always gracious. He remembered me after my first visit which is nice to be remembered after a long day of travel. Therese is also warm and friendly; The staff in the Vineyard Lounge and Restaraunt are fantrastic, and the food is excellent. When they say you are family...I really feel like I am.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower are worth the extra cost. The rooms in the wing are nice, but the tower room...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business