“Not your usual Red Lion”

Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
Portland
“Not your usual Red Lion”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is not your usual Red Lion. The Travel Lodge across the street looked better. It's being updated and they have tried to make it current in the rooms but it just feels cheap. Hated having the room face a busy street (it felt unsafe), carpet looked dirty, the walls were cinderblocks so it felt cold, best was super uncomfortable and the property grounds were dirty too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Because of my wonderful experiences with other Red Lion Hotels, especially the Red Lion in Spokane, WA, I was eager to give this hotel a chance. It was cheaper than either the Marcus Whitman or the Holiday Inn express. On check in the clerk was very nice and had written the password for the wifi on my key holder, but didn't tell me she had. The room was very spacious. When I tried to access the wifi I didn't have the password so I tried to call the front desk. No dial tone on my phone. I walked back through the snow to the office and she said that the phone didn't work in that room and that my choices were to be moved to a smaller room or wait to have it fixed the next day. On the way to the office I had checked out the hot tub and the jets wouldn't turn on. She told me that she would have that fixed the next day also. I told her that the the HBO magazine in the room was for Jan even thought it was the 9th of Feb. She found the maid's cart a while later and brought me the current magazine. As I looked for an electrical outlet for my computer I noticed skittles in the carpet under the headboard. The next morning the breakfast was terrible...the scrambled eggs were tasteless, as were the cheese filled tortilla shells. The orange juice dispenser gave only water with a hint of orange taste until I asked the attendent about it and she replace the orange syrup. That was the final straw for me. I called my travel agent and made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express. The manager was very apologetic and discounted my bill $20. As I was trying to leave I couldn't get out of the sloped icy parking space. Several hotel employees walked by as I was struggling to get out but none offered assistance. Finally I asked for help and the maintenance guy helped me get out.
If this had been the first Red Lion Hotel I stayed at it would have been my last. Definately not up to Red Lion standards. I have since told my fellow employees to avoid staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for their large room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LarryIN2N
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I apologize for the problems that you encountered during your stay. It's never good to hear that we did not meet a guests expectations during their stay. We appreciate all feedback- good or bad. I'm happy to report that all of the maintenance issues that you brought up at check out were immediately fixed that day. Again, we apologize, and we hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Walla Walla hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 13, 2014

While attractive to look at, beware what lies beneath.

WHY YOU SHOULD STAY HERE:
Hotel is inexpensive. Location is great, you can walk to restaurants, bars, salons, or even the grocery store.

WHY YOU SHOULD NOT STAY HERE:
Lack of cleanliness. While I am not an uptight person, this place turned me into an OCD weirdo, checking every surface.
Our first room was cute, but upon getting ready for bed, my husband and I turned down the covers to discover crumbs, dirt, and hair. We called the front desk and the girl who helped us was extremely apologetic and moved us to another room.
Our next room? Much dirtier.
Again, while attractive to look at, beware what lies beneath...
Blood stained duvet. Didn't look like it had been washed, but I understand that blood stains are hard to remove. Maybe they tried, but seeing blood spatter on a bed you're about to crawl into is unsettling. Human hair, dog hair, and makeup stains on the sheets. Definitely had not been washed after whoever stayed there previously. What looked to be a crusty, brown something on a hanging, folded-like-origami towel. There were several bobby pins scattered on the floor, I'm sure the vacuum just *happened* to miss those. There was also a graffiti tag on the door frame, which is a lovely reminder that drove the point home that we made the WRONG choice staying in the hotel.
I live in the Portland, Oregon area and have stayed in local Red Lions my whole life. While they're always older properties, they're kept up well and I have never had an issue with cleanliness like we did here. While the next morning the hotel staff was very apologetic about the dirtiness of the room. I did get a call apologizing again later that day and was told they would try to issue a refund and call me to follow up, but that was where communication stopped. I never got a call back and I never saw any money returned.

Just do yourself a favor and drive on by this place.

2 Thank Courtneyisdisgusted
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Courtney,

Thank you for your review and response from your recent stay with us. I'm sorry that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. It is upsetting to hear about your experience because traditionally our room cleanliness receive great reviews from guests. I passed along your comments to our staff so we can use these types of comments and feedback for future training to minimize these types of issues.

Your reservation was made through a third party vendor, so there may be a delay. I will follow up with Expedia and you later today.

Please accept my apology that we could not meet your expectations. I hope you give us another chance in the future.
Idaho
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This hotel has the perfect downtown location within walking distance to shopping and restaurants. It looks like great care was taken to update this older property as evidenced in part by vibrant, fresh-looking paint inside and out as well as up-to-date furnishings in the rooms.

I was impressed by how their 'small details' added up to an excellent experience for me. For example, during check-in we were presented with complimentary bottled water that had welcome tags with embedded with flower seeds for me to plant. Also, I would have never expected a 'doggie gift' for my puppy which included a yummy treat, doggie bag and sign for the door. In addition, the manager phoned us to make sure everything was OK with our room. For the price and location, I cannot imagine a better value in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
VaneTravels, Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about the hotel. We are very happy to hear that our efforts did not go unnoticed. It is always nice to hear that a guest was taken care of, including our furry four legged guests. We do strive to provide the best service to our guests. Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope to have you here again when your travels bring you back to Walla Walla!
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed January 25, 2014

From a very rundown Vineyard Inn, Red Lion has made this into a decent hotel. Upgraded beds and luxury linens, new carpet and furniture and good service. Not all things are A1, had a few maintenance issues in my 2 week stay but management was prompt in getting them fixed.

Overall the location is absolutely outstanding, close to Whitman and on Main St. This is now heads and shoulders above its neighbor Travelodge Inn. Quality of linens, full dining area, gym and year-round jacuzzi--there is no comparison. Have stayed in both places since they both have great location.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear BemusedYogi, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel! We truly appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you like the changes we've made. We hope to see you back at our hotel in your future travels to the Walla Walla area!
Walla Walla
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Nice recent upgrades to this property. New Carpet, Beds, TVs. Very quiet and located right downtown. This is the best location of any Walla Walla Hotel. Free and easy parking. The new managment is doing a great job.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thanks so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. What a pleasure it was to read your kind feedback! I am very happy you enjoyed the hotel and new changes. I will pass on your feedback to the staff. Thanks again, for taking the time to share your experience.
Walla Walla
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The Red Lion in Walla Walla, WA was a pleasant surprise! It is pet friendly with an additional $15 fee, comfortable beds, and nice furnishings. The painted cinderblock walls, although a bit odd at first, really kept the sound transfer between rooms to nonexistent.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Jeff H, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Walla Walla, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Stephanie B., Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your experience at our property. It was a pleasure to read your kind comments regarding your stay. We appreciate your positive remarks regarding our comfortable beds and furnishings. We hope to have you as a guest again soon.